View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
betterthanwalking
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2009-08-17

PostSubject: Insane prices...   Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:26 pm

Another downside of Scrappage?: I mentioned on a previous post about how it's hard to get usable cars for under 500 now (or so i've seen), and that bangers without T&T are going for silly money now.

Just thinking about this and wanted to share a couple of examples i've seen, but if anyone else has any horror stories please do tell!

1.) Nissan Primera, L plate seen at a dealer three weeks ago. 495 with rotten sills and bald tyres, and the deal sealer: 1 weeks MOT. "Make me a offer" said the dealer, my offer was "no thanks mate..."

2.) Mazda 626, F plate, seen privately. Admittedly in good visible nick but No Tax or MOT, yours for 250 ono...

I've recently brought a Cavalier 1.6 for 175, the T&T run out at the end of next month, i'm interested to see how much i can get for it given the examples above...or am i being a bit too behind the times now by thinking that a non taxed and tested banger is basically scrap metal money (50-100?)

Something to think about methinks...

PS.) Mind you, if i had the spare cash, i wouldn't mind having a punt on this:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Insane prices...   Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:34 pm

I don't think you're looking hard enough. I bought a very nice 1998 Mondeo Ghia X hatch1.8 Diesel with 5 months MoT and 3 months tax, 133k, full history, for 400 2 weeks ago.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Just bought a lovely Rover 214iL 5-door on a '99 T, FSH, 72k, 2 owners, 5 months MoT and 1 months tax for 500.

The bargains are out there!

Kev.

Last edited by Rovamota on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
betterthanwalking
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Insane prices...   Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:57 am

ooh you jammy get! lol Very Happy it's just where i am i think, probably-i live in South Lincolnshire and in most cases look for cars up to about a 25-30 mile radius but on ebay, local traders etc, a lot of dross turns up, at least from what i've seen from my research. In fact i had to go to Rugby in Warwickshire to pick up my latest drive, (not complaining about that though as it's a fair usuable car with surprisingly high mpg)

Well done with the Mondeo rovamota, i'm sure it will make someone very happy, like the Rover 620 you told me about a bit ago, it looks a peach of a car! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
betterthanwalking
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Insane prices...   Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:11 pm

Well, it looks like i'll be doing a bit more research on this matter as the cambelt snapped on the Cavalier today, just in time to pull into a layby... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Lovely   Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:43 pm

THat Mondie looks lovely Kevin....
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Insane prices...   Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:43 pm

Admin wrote:
THat Mondie looks lovely Kevin....
Yes, it was a smasher! Amazing service history and full Ghia X spec, and it all worked. Bought it from a work colleague who wanted it out of the way as he'd bought a newer car.

I looked at another 1998 Mondeo 2.0 at the weekend, it was my parents next door neighbour's car. I thought it worth a look at 100 as it had no MoT (just expired) and the owner, again, just wanted it out of the way as he'd bought a newer car. Took it for a drive and all seemed okay to me, so just before I was about to go and give him the 100 I thought I'd better get on my hands and knees and check the underside, even though it was raining.

I poked the sill with the key and it went straight through! That was the end of that! Scrap it!

Kev.
Back to top Go down
betterthanwalking
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Insane prices...   Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:55 pm

Close call Kev, close call... Smile I myself did a bit more research and haggling and have managed to get a J plate Rover 216, with four months MOT for 150, more dents than a used coke can but the engine is very sweet, well it seems to be anyway, time will tell! Apparently it is a ex-Rover owned car, something in the service book says something about Rover in Coventry owning it but shipping it out to a company called BCL (British car leasing?) Question
Back to top Go down
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Insane prices...   Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:35 pm

Here's the 500 Rover 214 I won on ebay. 1999, 5 months MoT, taxed, 72k, FSH, air con, ABS, twin airbags, top of the range Rover CD player. In fact, everything a new car costing 12,000 will have. Lovely.

I rest my case M'lud.

It just proves that 500 doesn't have to mean a load of old tat.

And the interior is immaculate!

Kev.
Back to top Go down
betterthanwalking
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Insane prices...   Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:31 pm

Now that is nice! i love those carpets! Very Happy whatever the metalwork and engine problems with a Rover, they could certainly put a stylish and comfy interior together, i helped a freind strip a 1984 Montego HL for banger racing back in the late 90's and at the time i thought it was a shame as it was better inside than my Peugeot 205 at the time... Neutral mind you with some of the older BL cars, some materials were a bit haphazard, my dad had a Ambassador 1.7L where the back seat material peeled and the digital clock blanking plate kept falling out lol Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jadis
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Insane prices...   Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:14 am

I saw a P reg Fiesta yesterday at a small independant dealers, it's done 97k and is Mot'd for year, it's in good condition however with a screen price of is 950... I don't think it will be going anywhere fast. Madness!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Insane prices...   

Back to top Go down

Insane prices...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1