View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Wee Startup Wear Dilemma   Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:07 am

Suppose your car won't start without choke in current conditions (Imagine you don't have fuel injection, if that won't give you bad dreams)

Is it better to turn it over a bit first without using the choke, to build oil pressure, or just use the choke straight away?

I ask because I read recently that "The Rover SDI launched in the UK in 1975 had a device that turned off the ignition until 3 psi oil pressure was achieved."

Assuming this is true, and that severely cash strapped BL engineers thought that worthwhile, it seems turning it over a bit might be a good idea.

I don't, however, know if the SD1 system had fuel shut-off, which might make a difference. I think most British SD1 had carbs (SU's. I rather miss SU's) so fuel shut-off might be difficult to arrange, but probably not impossible.

Not a big deal, but one likes to be optimal.
Back to top Go down
greendefender123
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2014-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Wee Startup Wear Dilemma   Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:43 pm

I would guess if you leave it idling for 30 seconds or so that should get the oil moving. I do this with all my cars. My landy so the turbo gets oil. Same with the astra. The moggie leave idling abit aswell as its an old engine tho the oil light goes out quickly.

I know with rebuilt engines and engines that have been sitting awhile you normally turn over with the coil lead disconnected till the oil pressure light goes out.

Justwhat i do with cars.
Back to top Go down

Wee Startup Wear Dilemma

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1