AuthorMessage
badshot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Electric Car Bangernomics   Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Ive been looking into this for a while and need some help,

I have had a few good old cars in my time, my current stead 2001 Ford Focus 2.0 ltr petrol Ghia estate cost me 300 coming up for 4 years ago!

All I have done is routine servicing, a timing belt and consumables as and when needed, she like all other focus estates of the vintage suffers from the rear inner and outer sill rot that plagues these (thats what carpet in the rear wheel well does FORD!).

I pay around 25 a month to tax her (going up to 26 odd next time round) and i do roughly 8000 miles a year costing me around 160 odd a month in the dreaded unleaded.

I was wandering about going for something newer and possibly switching to electric Speak no evil (second hand Zoe/Leaf circa 5000-6000k would it be cheaper/same to run monthly?

No RFL, roughly 3 a time to charge, I reckon I'll need to charge it around 5-6 times a month working on current mileage I do with electric range etc.

I would have to borrow some cash, say a maximum 6k over 36 months 166 a month at 0% APR (a good friend) with around 15 in electric making it roughly a similar cost to run a much newer car!

Total cost of 2001 Petrol Focus 176 a month excluding maintenance etc
Total cost of 2011 Electric Leaf 181 a month excluding maintenance etc

Tell me I'm going mad, for another 5 a month extra! Thanks

greendefender123
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2014-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Electric Car Bangernomics   Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:22 pm

I personally wouldnt recommend an electric car yet. I wanna see how they get on 1st and how they last. They certainly not bangernomics ready yet in my opinion. Id stick with your focus for now or get a less rotten one. My father has a hatch back one on 195k. Just flew through its mot. He paid 205 for it.
Back to top Go down
badshot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2009-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Electric Car Bangernomics   Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:22 am

Cheers GreenDefender Thanks

I agree with you on that but they still really intrigue me, I thought of an alternative a bit like you suggested,

I will go for another focus probably a 1.6 petrol estate, tax is about 190 and MPG should be better plus its a bit bigger / handy.

On another note, cant believe this forum isn't busier! a car dealer pal of mine says hold out until the budget in November, apparently the government are gonna hang us old car lover out to dry Shock

Anyway cheers

greendefender123
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2014-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Electric Car Bangernomics   Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:59 pm

Im looking to see how they get on with these super capacitors theyre on about making. They'll charge in seconds and can last a million cycles. But for me im sticking with my astra. Parts are nice and cheap. Loads being broken aswell. If worse comes to worse il just be using my moggie traveller which will be mot exempt soon with the new rules coming in. I wish i got a focus sometimes but you dont need to weld an astra and its faster. Just less reliable and more sensible. Im certainly not worried tho a little annoyed as they decided diesels are bad just after i bought one!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Electric Car Bangernomics   

Back to top Go down

Electric Car Bangernomics

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1