AuthorMessage
linux geek
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2015-12-09

PostSubject: Computers bangernomics style    Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:12 pm

Hi all

Just thought I post I never buy new computers as like cars the depression is eye watering

Either buy the parts on fleebay whole boxes load with open source software for free and away I go

Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Computers bangernomics style    Mon May 01, 2017 2:06 am

Few years ago I built myself a Linux PC from bits of broken computer discarded by the IT dept here. Not too bad getting the Ubuntu install to work, and I briefly believed the user-friendly-unix hype.

Installing any extra software, however, broke through the thin user-friendly crust and I was back in the trad unix tar pit, (I used to run a few SUN network management stations) slogging through an apparently infinite series of dependencies.

I looked at it again fairly recently with the demise of XP, but it seems that, despite the lack of a commercial motivation, Linux suffers the same feature bloat as Windows, and there wasn't really a useful distro that would run (other than very marginally) on my ageing hardware. I suppose a Leave-it-alonix (LITFAnix?) would lack geek-appeal.

So I think its a snare, and a delusion.
Back to top Go down
SOJC
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Computers bangernomics style    Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:38 am

I've never bought a ready-made PC, in my life.
Of Linux; after having my brain melted by early Linux I left it alone, but would occasionally load in a test disc and fiddle with it for curiousity's sake.
Eventually, I got peed off enough with Windroze and spend the year mid 2014 to mid-2015 alone and unsupervised with Mint, on a four-core box.
It was nice; everything worked, except when I wanted to do a few things with legacy hardware and that meant melting brain again, as I delved into knitting my own spaghetti.

Indeed, it was only my attachment to a couple of legacy items that lurched me back into the Wundroze camp and the ridiculously small cost of a legit Win10 licence (a tenner) that means I'm now triping this on aforesaid.
However, and it's a big however, I'm often peed off with Windroze again, and itching to go back.
This box now has 8 cores and flies, even with W10 on it.
The box I'm building in the back room has 12 cores and 24 hyperthreads, and I don't know what to put on it. For the sake of setting it up easily, I might go Wundroze, to avoid having to knit my own spaghetti again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Computers bangernomics style    

Back to top Go down

Computers bangernomics style

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1