AuthorMessage
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Un-Screwing   Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:46 am

Or Rounding Off the Usual Suspects

Here's a trick that I probably can't try here but might be possible elsewhere.

Back in The Yook I had an old, traditional heavy soldering bit that I always thought would be useful for "surgically" applying heat to the usual suspects, the usual suspects here being the stuck-fast-nasty-little-cross-head-screws that Japanese motorcycles are infested with.

But I didn't have a Japanese motorcycle then, so I never tried it.

This kind of thing.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Unlikely I'll find one here, but if anyone tries it, I'd be interested to know how it works out.

The suspects in the current case are a couple of stuck-fast-nasty-little-cross-head-screws holding the master-cylinder reservoir cover on a Yamaha RZR.

These little F****ers

IF I get them out I'll put polythene or PTFE round the replacements which will hopefully stop them doing it again, but getting them out is the trick.

I have a couple of hit-it-with-a-hammer impact drivers, one of which has sometimes worked in the past, but It was the work of a moment this time to chew up these screws with it.

Perhaps my technique isn't correct. I've only used it with a club hammer, so possibly a dead blow hammer (which are available locally) would work better .

Although impact drivers are readily available here, a decent range of cross-head bits for them isn't. They come with maybe two in the box, and I've been able to buy a few loose, but no set.

(I do have a pretty comprehensive set of splined bits, which is no use to me since the car I got it for is gone.)

Ill-fitting bits are therefore a hazard, but I "auditioned" all my bits before hitting anything this time, and the one picked for the role seemed to fit pretty well.

I wonder if an electric impact wrench gizmo like this would be better?

Probably too late for these little FASTNers, though, so it looks like drilling and screw extractors, though I don't recall any successes with anything that small.

Best case, I see me in the near future attempting to explain that I want reversed drill bits to a Taiwanese tool store owners daughter.

I'm screwed.
Back to top Go down

Un-Screwing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1