View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Steve.
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-06-04

PostSubject: Cheap and Very Dirty Zafira A.   Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:19 pm

My Mum very kindly offered to pay for a holiday again this year, not so much for my benefit more so she can spend some time with her grandchildren ! We did the same last year and driving round the lanes in Devon in two cars, paying for parking and getting lost was a bit hard work. I've got a 940 so I cold get a pair of child seats to fit in that but my daughter who is 11 is nearly as tall as me so won't fit.

What I needed was something with at least 6 seats !

Having scoured the internet looking at all sorts of cars including Multipla's and various Japanese imports the only thing in my sort of price range was something like a Zafira. Even thay seemed a bit difficult to find cheap although there seems to be an endless supply in our local scrappy now which has proved very handy.

The this turned up.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The advert described it as being a bit hairy which was a bit of an underestimate. Not only was the interior horrible but it had a running fault and only when I mentioned I might drive it home did they mention the brakes didn't work very well !
Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and Very Dirty Zafira A.   Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:22 pm

What did you pay for it??

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
Steve.
Infant
Infant

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and Very Dirty Zafira A.   Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:43 pm

I found out about getting it transported home which wasn't too bad at 50 so decided to see if I could make it half decent again. I wasn't sure what the cause of the brake fault was at the time but it turned out to be a leaking rear brake calliper. The running fault was mainly down to a pipe that had fallen off the throttle body. I actually spotted this whilst the salesman went to deal with another customer and hoped it would be an easy fix.

With the car at home I refitted the loose pipe and fitted a new set of spark plugs the car idled properly but still wasn't quite right so I stripped the throttle body off to clean it out. From previous experience with my Mk4 Astra I thought this would be a good idea and whilst it was off I found another possible air leak where one of the brass fittings on the throttle body had split. I'm lucky having a small lathe so I was able to make a new fitting and stick it back into the throttle body with proper loctite.

Not the engine was running reasonably well I decided to tackle the brakes. It was only now that I noticed a small amount of fluid on the inside of one of the rear wheels. I was fairly certain I would need a repair kit so ordered one from Bigg Red along with some new pistons. This fixed the rear brakes after cleaning up the almost new discs and pads. I did the same with the fronts and bled everything to get fresh fluid in the system.

Now for the interior.

We have a wet and dry vac called George and cleaning this car nearly finished him off ! After hours of brushing, washing and picking hairs out with tweezers the interior became a place you could sit in without wearing a full contamination suit. It was still a bit doggy smelling so a good spray with Valet Pro enzime odour remover, a vanilla odour bomb and some berry crush Fabreeze it smells a bit better now as well.

Back to top Go down
Steve.
Infant
Infant

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and Very Dirty Zafira A.   Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:48 pm

TechSupport wrote:
What did you pay for it??

It was probably too much, I couldn't get it for less than 150 although I did try. Trouble was they said they were sure they could sell the wheels for that much and if I didn't buy it they would scrap it and sell the wheels on their own. I decided not to keep the wheels and fit standard steel ones due to the cost of the tyres and the insurance company moaning I had modified it. I haven't sold the wheels yet though.
Back to top Go down
Steve.
Infant
Infant

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and Very Dirty Zafira A.   Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:19 am

As things were going reasonably well my thoughts turned to getting a new MOT on it. The original wheels need a new tyre and due to the size the very cheapest I could find was 50. On a trip to to local scrappy to get bit's of replacement trim, a CD player and anything else useful I spotted a set of steel wheel with 4 good matched tyres so grabbed them as well. The wheels and tyres cost 80.

Before buying the car I did a MOT history check to see if anything major had caused problems in the past. The only advisory apart from tyres was a slightly worn track rod end. Slightly worn meant it had some play in it which I wasn't keen on so I replaced both. I re-did the tracking using some string, 4 bits of tube gaffer taped to the wheels and some careful measuring. I didn't take any pictures of how I did it but seeing as it worked quite well I might mock up the taped on tubes to explain a bit better and take some pictures. A quick oil change using some trade 10 oil and a cheap oil filter it was ready for a test. I wouldn't normally use really cheap oil but just wanted something clean in it to help with the emissions.

To my surprise it passed the MOT with only an advisory on the exhaust and rear springs being rusty.

To celebrate I bought a cam belt kit and water pump and will change the oil again. I plan to fit this next week and then all I need is to get the security code from Vauxhall so I can programme a spare key.

Although I haven't worked it out exactly getting it back to a roadworthy state with MOT has cost slightly under 500. The tax was a bit of a shock being nearly 300 for a year though. Fortunately the insurance wasn't very expensive !

Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and Very Dirty Zafira A.   Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:42 am

Well done Thumb That's a very good result, looking forward to seeing your mock tracking idea. Its always good to read of someone like yourself getting a real bargain and doing it the Bangernomics way. I think you got a bargain there and it will probably give you a good few years of motoring. Cheers

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and Very Dirty Zafira A.   Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:29 pm

Seems a result. Alloy wheels are for posers anyway. (Oops).

Personally, I'd leave the 10 quid oil for a while. Doubt it'll do any harm.

IF you think the engine internals might need a bit of a clean maybe try a diesel oil. Here (Taiwan) Delvac MX 15/40 seems a good price/quality balance, and I imagine it'll be available in the Yook.
Back to top Go down
Steve.
Infant
Infant

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and Very Dirty Zafira A.   Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:55 pm

Thanks. The oil can stay for a while. I was expecting it to go as black as the stuff that came out almost straight away but it still looks quite clean. At 10 a go I can change it a few times for the price of something more expensive. Vauxhall oil isn't too bad a price, it can't be terrible quality either or at least I would hope not.

I fitted the new cam belt on Monday. I had to drill the head off the tensioner bolt as it had already been chewed up. Quite why Vauxhall fitted such a nasty shallow torx head bolt to such a critical component I don't know. It wouldn't be so bad if you only had to tighten it once but adjusting the belt takes a couple of goes normally.
That went well apart from the bolt so I treated it to a set of genuine Vauxhall rubber mats off ebay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheap and Very Dirty Zafira A.   

Back to top Go down

Cheap and Very Dirty Zafira A.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1