Hi-miler Banger using Natural Gas from My Domestic Supply

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CNGFGodsOwnF*rt
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-05-26

PostSubject: Hi-miler Banger using Natural Gas from My Domestic Supply   Thu May 26, 2016 9:18 pm

This is not meant to upset the apple cart, and to steam in with my slant on this will seem rude, so I will try to be gentle…

You see I don't entirely agree with the Bangernomics principle. Yes, yes I know depreciation is the biggy, but at under 25-30,000 miles a year and I might have to withdraw on my point however if you drive the thing, and I do, even as a banger, if you drive the right car, it's not servicing even, it's fuel. But for some reason this site ignores this fact, simply because it's dealt with as an immovable object. Er why?

Particulary when Bangernomics has nothign to do with the car you drive, but all to do with the fuel you burn. If you're burning the right fuel, at the right price, who cares what the car is?  Why is it relevant? I can't balme you, but this site looks at this from the wrong end of hte telescope.

Not to be confused with LPG, natural gas is not somethign you'll  see used in cars in the UK, agreed DHL, Stobarts, John Lewis and Hardcastle use LNG in their HGV fleet but I run CNG via homefueling.

Now forgive me, but sod your deseasel car. Methane (ie  the stuff you heat your home with) is far cheaper, and you've got it piped into your home. The current logic says you drive down to a Texaco and leave the fuel coming to your home behind.  And then you pay how much?

The issue after this is not what car you drive, but how you get a car to burn it, and get the fuel into your car. In this country that's not so easy, but in Europe they've been doing it for years. Italy, is the leader, with Germany second. Argentina, India and Iran is almost solely CNG. VW make CNG cars today. The yanks are going big on it. They are heavily into fracking, hence the plumetting oil price.

As soon as I see some fool putting the remnants of a chip-pan in his car i chuckle. CNG works, unlike electricity or veggie oil. And you have it in your home.

I first saw it in use in my local ice-rink, (The Zamboni) then in forklift trucks. You see unlike, liquid fuels it'll not make you giddy breathing the stuff.. Hence use in ice-rinks and FLT. Don't believe me? Stand over the vent to your gas boiler. You're smelling what my exhaust is like.

In Bangernomics terms it has only three downsides.

1. V.high initail kit costs, even the tanks cost a fortune.
2. Shortish range, I get 300 miles on a tank, so after 150 miles out from base I switch to petrol. But this is rare. And aside from Crewe & Nottingham, there are no public-access  filling stations for it. All are for LNG, for big stuff.
3. The tanks are huge and v.heavy, so you can't carry much fuel. Hence range.
4. Thus under 20,000 miles a year and you wouldn't do it.

Vegetable oil? Er why? I could write pages on this subject, but you've Google.  For reasons those of you thinking beyond the near horizon will see, the UK is one of the few countries in the world not to be using it at all. Google this and see if I’m not right.

My point stands, look to Indian motoring sites to see this bear out,  If you're burning the right fuel, at the right price, who cares what the car is? It's an irrelevance. This looking down the other end of that telesscope.

Its not crackpot like veggie oil, or electric.
This is not new either,, we ran NG in cars  and with gasbags on the roof of our buses in WW2.
We run many of London's buses on it now. Leftie councils like it
Now, as I did, do your  homework.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Hi-miler Banger using Natural Gas from My Domestic Supply   Sun May 29, 2016 8:06 am

I'd assume it'd work well in the right situation, and would be fairly easy on the engine too. No good for me because:-

No domestic gas supply

Nowhere to put the hefty (and potentially dangerous if not done right) compressor that I assume you'll need

Not enough miles to justify it.

OTOH I pay only slightly above US prices for petrol, which is some comfort.

Couple of quibbles

My understanding was that ALL UK diesel is spiked with a little (5 or 10%, can't remember) biodiesel. If this is correct, processed vegetable oil is in wide use in the UK as vehicle fuel, in contradiction of your statement above.

We (as in The British, I wasn't born) did NOT use NG in vehicles in WW2, AFAIK, since it wasn't available in the UK on any scale at that time. We used town gas, which is/was a mix of hydrogen and carbon monoxide produced from coal.

You can make the same gas with an on-board gassifier from wood or any other organic material, and people do, but the kit is cumbersome to operate.
Back to top Go down
CNGFGodsOwnF*rt
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Hi-miler Banger using Natural Gas from My Domestic Supply   Sun May 29, 2016 10:42 am

You are correct, strictly speaking we used town-gas, derived from coal on the homefront in WW2.  So no, not Natural Gas. You are correct with Biodeisel, however with it made-up principally of mineral oil, its a sap to the green lobby and is under greatest scrutiny for being less green than the mineral deisel.

You also correct in that wood can be gasified, however from what i've seen, it's not really a viable option even with a forest and a Unimog. Most of the alternative fuels aren't, whereas natural gas does work, and has been working many countries for decades. As I said, India, Argentina, and Italy being the greatest proponents, largely because they had ready access to gas, but no great oil resources of their own at the time.

There is still no beating either petrol or deisel for simplicity, largely because unlike all of the alternatives, energy density means they take up little space and wieght, which also  increases the amount of fuel you can carry and thus range. On this point NG fails, in truth my range is half what it is on petrol, but the price difference means  I am prepared to live with it. I just fill-up twice as often.

And yes any compressor will need to be a bit of a lump and take large amounts of money to both buy and run. So you'll need to 'drive' for if you girly about at under say, 20,000 miles pa,  this is not viable. Which is why its sweet-spot is with commercilal users.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi-miler Banger using Natural Gas from My Domestic Supply   

Back to top Go down

Hi-miler Banger using Natural Gas from My Domestic Supply

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1