View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Colourful Ethnic Starter Switch   Mon May 02, 2016 12:16 pm

Doing a lot of futile fiddling with the car at the moment, and I thought a remote starter switch would streamline my inefficiency.

Step 1 : Find an abandoned arcade game in the jungle, not so difficult in the jungle around here.

(I found a shot-down Soviet-made helicopter in the Cambodian jungle once, which would have been a great source of switches for my Best-40-Quid-I-Ever-Spent-Lada, but my penknife wasn't up to the job, plus I was a bit parenoid it might have been wired for bangs)

No such problemn in the Taiwan suburban jungle. OTOH there are hordes of F-ing mosquitos, and I'm wearing shorts. RUN AWAYYYY!.

Step 2: Go back with long trousers and sleeves, jungle boots, a hammer, and an electric tennis raquet. Hit console with hammer while waving raquet around head. Occaisionally the other way around when confused. Sweat gets in your eyes, and a hammer isn't actually much good for killing mosquitos.

Behind the surface plastic the plywood is eaten away by tiny horrible jungle creatures (as I am), so the console breaks up pretty easily. I just want some switches so I leave the motherboard and screen.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Step 3 : Check switches for continuity with multimeter. The jungle isn't friendly to exposed switchgear so I'm expecting most of them to be bust. All the square ones I check are, but luckily, the BIG RED ROUND ONE shows continuity. Hooray.

Step 4: Put a couple of crock clips on the (rather wimpy) wires from the BIG RED ROUND ONE. I wish I'd cut these a bit longer, but I was being eaten at the time.

Step 5 : Test on car, connecting one crock clip to battery+, and the other to the starter solenoid terminal. WORKS!!

Dunno for how long though. Might be worth soldering some heavier wire on, and maybe checking some more of those square switches in case any of them work.
Back to top Go down

Colourful Ethnic Starter Switch

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1