View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: No such thing as routine maintenance   Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:05 pm

Took the caliper apart just to clean, inspect and lube. Caliper guide pin was stuck solid and broke off after about 20 minutes of hammer and torque torture.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Any suggestions?

Haven't got threads to worry about so might just drill it out with progressively larger drill bits until I can fit the guide pin back in. Might have been tempted to try welding a nut on it, but the welder is out of service atm (needs new power cable...or throwing in the bin).
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: No such thing as routine maintenance   Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:17 am

Heat? Penetrating oil? Both (alternating), then try and drive it out with a drift.

Or MAYBE you could rig up a hydraulic press with a bottle jack, or take it to somewhere that has one and get them to do it.

I've been thinking I should make myself a wee electrolytic oxy-hydrogen water torch for this kind of thing. Should be a clean localised flame so you won't get self-insulation with soot.

Allegedly a 50-50 ATF/acetone mix is a good penetrating oil. Havn't tried it cos I'm too tight to buy ATF just for that, but I suppose I could keep an eye open for discarded empties.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: No such thing as routine maintenance   Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:20 am

DP, sorry
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: No such thing as routine maintenance   Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:34 pm

A blowtorch, sledgehammer, penetrating fluid and three broken drill bits later, all I have to show is a mess. Rust is much much stronger than I ever thought.

And on that basis, I give my Rover a five star NCAP safety rating. Star Star Star Star Star
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: No such thing as routine maintenance   Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:47 pm

Maybe a soak (or boil) in acid? Could start with pickling vinegar and then escalate to phosphoric and beyond.

I think electrolysis needs line-of-sight so probably wouldn't help much
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: No such thing as routine maintenance   Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:18 am

Dunno what's readily available in the Yook but they sell a toilet lime-scale remover here that is a pretty scary concentration of HCl (can't remember the number, but it was a big one).

I'd boil it (in water or possibly vinegar, boiling HCL is a bit hardcore) to drive air out of the rust in the interface.

(Heating in an oven would be a dry alternative but oven's are sometimes off-limits for such operations)

I'd make a dam out of a suitable bit of tubing sealed around the rim with RTV/grease/wax - might have to experiment a bit with that and have it ready to go before things cool down too much. Dumping the whole thing in acid would be simpler but you might need a lot of acid and there might be collateral damage)

Then I'd fill the dam with the HCl stuff and leave it to soak in.

Repeat until you feel like rinsing it off and hitting it (or yourself) with a hammer.

Then I'd clean my toilet.

But since there's no road salt here, my toilet will probably stay scaly.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: No such thing as routine maintenance   Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:01 pm

Apparently molasses removes rust. Its supposed to have chelating agents in it.

IIRC, though, its used as a fairly dilute (5 - 10%?) water mix which of course ferments, so I'd guess the bugs might be an active part of the process.

If nothing else, they'll make the brew anoxic, which seems like a good thing if you're trying to prevent or reverse rusting.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: No such thing as routine maintenance   Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:17 pm

Tried a few breakers but didn't get very far with them. They had (potentially) suitable donors, but were too lazy to answer my questions.

Drilled a hole in the back of the mounting bracket in the end, then hammered the remains of the guide pin out with a punch and lump hammer. I've cleaned up the bore with brake clean and wire wool. Plugged the hole with isopon and a dab of paint to protect against water ingress.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No such thing as routine maintenance   

Back to top Go down

No such thing as routine maintenance

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1