View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: DOT3 Carb Cleaner   Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:21 am

I'm trying DOT3 as a carb cleaner right now and it seems very effective. Since its not designed for that use, and I'm only a couple of hours in, I can't rule out lurking gotcha's, but advantages include:-

(a) Much less volatile, so you can leave it to soak-in and it wont evaporate.
(b) much less toxic, and ventilation isn't so critical.(see above)
(c) water-miscible, especially useful if you wash parts (or the whole thing) in boiling laundry detergent, which was my standard procedure with motorcycle carbs.

(Dunno if I'll try it with this one (which is a lot more complicated) though.)

(d) rubber-friendly in general, and specifically, hypodermic-syringe friendly. I use syringes to blow out small passages/jets (formerly with water/detergent). You can't do that with carb cleaner because it attacks the piston rubber.

(e) Free (if you use used fluid) and almost free if you use unused fluid since it has a limited storage life once opened.

Doesn't repel mosquitos though frown.

I suppose not many people (even here) have carbs anymore so it isn't of much contemporary relevance ("Ducked Developments : Solving Yesterdays Problems, Today")

I'm told that current DI engines suffer from coked-up intake valves, because there isn't any petrol in the intake tracts to clean them, and the blowby from the EGR/crankcase ventilation system makes them dirty (I'd expect it to have been happening to diesels for ever, then, but dunno if it has)

Perhaps a soak in brake fluid, followed up by a hot water spray in a running engine, might help with that too.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: DOT3 Carb Cleaner   Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:53 pm

Neat idea. Never crossed my mind.

Keep posting with results.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: DOT3 Carb Cleaner   Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:50 am

Might have been a good idea to test it on some expendable brass and aluminium bits before going "live", but 'tis done now.

I gave it a rinse with tap water and then ethanol, but in retrospect I should perhaps have been a bit more aggressive/parenoid with that.

Inhibited by the fact that it has some very tiny components and I didn't want to wash them down  the drain (which I may have done anyway.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: DOT3 Carb Cleaner   Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:03 pm

Didn't think about needing to clean it off after. That'll be +1 for carb cleaner.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: DOT3 Carb Cleaner   Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:31 am

Justwatching wrote:
Didn't think about needing to clean it off after. That'll be +1 for carb cleaner.

MAY not be necessary (dunno, would need some long term soak testing and mixing with fuel to see what happens).

Not a big issue for me because I "normally" (previously) clean with water and alcohol anyway.

DOT 4 might also work, but I'd think 5.1 wouldn't, and I've read somewhere that it turns into synthetic sand if its ingested by an engine, say by leakage into the vacuum servo, so it'd be a bad thing to put in your carb.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: DOT3 Carb Cleaner   Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:42 am

Justwatching wrote:
Neat idea. Never crossed my mind.

Keep posting with results.

See "The Snake Pit" post in Mechanical for pictures of results so far.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DOT3 Carb Cleaner   

Back to top Go down

DOT3 Carb Cleaner

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1