The Government has responded to the petition

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: The Government has responded to the petition   Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:09 am

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Reinstate The 25Year Rolling Road Tax Exemption”.

Government responded:

Classic vehicles are an important part of the UK’s heritage. We already offer a 40 year rolling exemption. Around 10,000 classic vehicles each year become exempt, so owners no longer have to pay VED.

The classic car industry employs around 28,000 people in the UK and the Government considers classic vehicles to be an important part of the nation’s historical and cultural heritage. In recognition of the contribution made by this sector, at Budget 14 the Government announced a new affordable Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) exemption for classic vehicles. This was defined as vehicles first registered over forty years previously. It will be rolled forward, allowing new cohorts of historic vehicles to be included in the exemption on 1 April each year. Currently, all vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1975 are eligible to apply for the exemption with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.

It is estimated that an additional 10,000 classic vehicles will be affected each year meaning their owners will benefit from not having to pay current VED rates of £145 or £230 depending on vehicle weight and engine size.

The Government is working to deliver a long-term economic plan to repair the public finances and will continue to take the difficult decisions to achieve this goal. Therefore, the Government currently has no plans to re-introduce a rolling twenty-five year exemption for this category of vehicle.

The Chancellor of the Exchequer keeps all taxes under review as part of the regular Budget process.

HM Treasury

Click this link to view the response online:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Petitions Committee will take a look at this petition and its response. They can press the government for action and gather evidence. If this petition reaches 100,000 signatures, the Committee will consider it for a debate.

The Committee is made up of 11 MPs, from political parties in government and in opposition. It is entirely independent of the Government. Find out more about the Committee: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
greendefender123
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2014-03-13

PostSubject: Re: The Government has responded to the petition   Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:52 pm

Cant be greedy atleast we've got something back! Tho my landy would now be. Annoyingly i sold 1974 one as it wasnt exempt so thought it would be better to get a defender. Tho its probably better just the tax.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: The Government has responded to the petition   Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:05 am

I think they're right to reject it. Giving old cars an arbitrary exemption just means moving the tax burden onto other motorists instead. I'm yet to be presented with a compelling reason why old car owners should get freebies.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: The Government has responded to the petition   Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:41 am

Justwatching wrote:
I think they're right to reject it. Giving old cars an arbitrary exemption just means moving the tax burden onto other motorists instead. I'm yet to be presented with a compelling reason why old car owners should get freebies.

Not compelling, but you could make an environmental argument for encouraging the retention of old vehicles, based on the avoidance of the energy and pollution cost of scrapping an old vehicle and replacing it with a new one.

Of course that'll be a hard sell, because:-

(a) They lose revenue (though not much, so that's probably not a serious objection)
(b) It makes sense (a dangerous precedent)
(c) The motor trade lobby won't like it, since it conflicts with encouraging new car sales.
(d) Its the exact opposite of their (spurious) scrappage scheme rationale. (see B and C above)

Last edited by edlithgow on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:45 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : perfectionism)
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: The Government has responded to the petition   Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:00 pm

I struggle to even imagine the carbon footprint produced by the yearly operation of government. How about we start by getting rid of that? Oh, and environmental incentive is already built into the purchase price (and value retention) of old cars. And this is all before even considering whether the environmental argument is even legitimate.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: The Government has responded to the petition   Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:16 am

Justwatching wrote:
Oh, and environmental incentive is already built into the purchase price (and value retention) of old cars.

That's just the market,  (i.e. the economic manifestations of the half-assed perceptions of millions of idiots) not govt policy, which is to make it go away.

Case in point. Canadian colleague comes to me on Wednesday for "advice".

His car is broken. Should he scrap it?

I say depends what's wrong with it.

He says its broken. I swear silently and ask for symptoms.

He says it stopped steering and a wheel (or possibly a cog) came loose, and there was a metal bracket that seemed to have cracked and maybe a loose "fan belt".

I vaguely guess the failure of a power-steering pump drive, which I have no experience with, and say it sounds like it should be economically repairable, and if he isn't dead-set on scrapping it I can have a look at it on Friday. Alternatively, or in addition, he could take the loose bits to mechanics and get guesstimates. He says no problem, he can use his scooter until Friday. I cancel a pre-existing arrangement for Friday.

Canadian colleague comes to me on Friday for "advice".

"What do you think of alloy wheels?" ses he

"Not much. Why?" ses I

He says the dealer charged him 20k extra (about 400 quid) for them. What advantage do they offer?

"Is this for your broken SAAB?" ses I

"No, my new Yaris. I'm scrapping the SAAB. Government is offering 50K" (about a 1000 quid).

I swear silently and say "People think they look pretty".

He looks disappointed and says "Is that all?"

"They reduce the un-sprung mass" ses I

That got rid of him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Government has responded to the petition   

Back to top Go down

The Government has responded to the petition

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1