View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Highest mileage car you'd buy   Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:46 pm

When looking for a car, do you follow any rules/guides regarding mileage? Do you set a certain number? Does it depend on service history? Is there a number you just wouldn't go above regardless of its apparent condition?

I don't like to go much over 100,000, but I think 150,000 is my limit. Nothing is set in stone, but knowing how little the average motorist knows or cares about maintenance, high milers seem risky. On a related note, I avoid cars from big cities (London, especially). Too much time spent in traffic that the odometer doesn't reflect.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Highest mileage car you'd buy   Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:04 am

Don't think it matters. Here (not sure about the UK now, but fakery certainly occurred when I was there) I wouldn't believe the odometer anyway.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Highest mileage car you'd buy   Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:26 pm

Well, I was going to say that fakery doesn't matter on the grounds that either the mileage is convincing given its condition, or the wear 'n' tear don't match the mileage, in which case the fakery is obvious. But that means condition trumps odometer, and thus I end up agreeing with you and defeating my own premise...

...Still. Is there really no number that would put you off viewing a potential purchase?
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Highest mileage car you'd buy   Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:56 am

Justwatching wrote:
Well, I was going to say that fakery doesn't matter on the grounds that either the mileage is convincing given its condition, or the wear 'n' tear don't match the mileage, in which case the fakery is obvious. But that means condition trumps odometer, and thus I end up agreeing with you and defeating my own premise...

That's right. QED already.

Justwatching wrote:

...Still. Is there really no number that would put you off viewing a potential purchase?

Don't think so.

If its a Millenium Falcon Mileage, it suggests its being described honestly, which is worth quite a bit, because I'm not especially good at spotting gotcha's.

So if anything, it'd be a plus.

In a banger context its not really a big deal anyway.

I've bought a few cars that I couldn't get to behave and ended up throwing away (eg Ford Lazer here for 400 quid equivalent, Volvo 340 in the Yook for 120 quid) but even then I'm not sure it wasn't my fault. Maybe more diligent fiddling or breaking my stubborn "no pro's" rule would have saved that Volvo, which I felt a bit bad about, but the financial loss was miniscule.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Highest mileage car you'd buy   Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:05 am

Now I think on't, when I worked in Lahndun my Cockney Banker colleagues would sometimes ask me the mileage of bangers I'd bought.

(I did network management for Treasury and Capital Markets dealing floors, so my cars tended to stand out almost as much as they do here).

They always seemed a bit bemused when I couldn't tell them.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Highest mileage car you'd buy   Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:34 am

edlithgow wrote:

If its a Millenium Falcon Mileage, it suggests its being described honestly, which is worth quite a bit

So you would buy a lemon because it was honestly described as a lemon?

edlithgow wrote:
I'm not especially good at spotting gotcha's.

I can believe that if you blanket ignore condition indicators (like mileage).
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Highest mileage car you'd buy   Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:52 am

Justwatching wrote:
edlithgow wrote:

If its a Millenium Falcon Mileage, it suggests its being described honestly, which is worth quite a bit

So you would buy a lemon because it was honestly described as a lemon?

Er..probably not, unless I had some special reason to. But as already established above, high mileage doesn't describe a lemon. It describes...er...high mileage, probably accurately, which can't be said for low or average mileage.

edlithgow wrote:
I'm not especially good at spotting gotcha's.

Justwatching wrote:
I can believe that if you blanket ignore condition indicators (like mileage).

See above. Mileage is a very uncertain indicator of condition. Claimed mileage is so uncertain as to be fairly worthless, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Highest mileage car you'd buy   Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:19 pm

Justwatching wrote:
I don't like to go much over 100,000, but I think 150,000 is my limit.

Last year I bought my daughter her first car. It was a 2003 Renault Clio 1.5 diesel with 152000 miles on it. Full service history and it drove like it had 30000 miles on it. It had obviously been VERY well looked after. It was immaculate inside and out and because of its mileage only cost 900. Since it was bought we have put another 10000 miles on it at an average of over 65 mpg and without a single fault at all.

Don't put a ceiling on the mileage. Use common sense, drive a car and see how it feels. Look for service history. If you can get a chance, drive several cars of the same type and you will soon get to know what feels right and what doesn't. High mileage often = BARGAIN!!

I am currently on the look out for a Saab 9-5 Aero Hot for myself. There are some very high milers out there at some very low prices. I have no doubt that I will buy one from around 2004/5 with 150000+ miles on it at a good price, but I will go on condition and history and take no notice of the mileage at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Highest mileage car you'd buy   

Back to top Go down

Highest mileage car you'd buy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1