View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Is this just me?   Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:17 am

I sometimes visit (and occaisionally post on) the US-based "Bob Is The Oil Guy" (BITOG) oil-obsessive site, where I came across this....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"Actually, about 6 months ago I was rotating tires on my truck and one of the lug nuts started to come loose (maybe two turns) and locked up. So I tried to retighten and wouldn't budge. I got the 3/4" breaker bar and ended up snapping off the stud. Rotated tires and just tightened the other 5 lug nuts.....called it good."

It sounds like he's saying he continued to use a vehicle with a broken wheel stud. (!?)

I'd expect he'd get some fairly adverse comment on that, but so far mine is the only protest. (I'm Ducked on there)

How different from the vibe on our very own Honest John site, where if you don't have your Volvo serviced weekly by Swiss watchmakers in a cleanroom you're pretty much a manslaughter waiting to happen.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Is this just me?   Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:42 pm

He subsequently said he changed them, so that might be why people haven't got on his case. You're right though, more people took exception to the use of an impact wrench than the broken stud!
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Is this just me?   Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:51 am

Justwatching wrote:
He subsequently said he changed them,

Well, six months later, and only then because he buggered three of the survivors up while taking the wheel off to check his brakes. OK, he's got six, but still....

Justwatching wrote:
more people took exception to the use of an impact wrench than the broken stud!

Well, I objected to that too, because I reckon that's how he broke the first one (the others might have been over-tightened to compensate) and because pointing at their gadget fetish annoys Americans:)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this just me?   

Back to top Go down

Is this just me?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bangernomics :: Technical :: Mechanical-