View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Beating the OTHER bugs   Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:12 pm

Normally when I work on the car I have to pack up about 5.30 else I get collandered by mosquitos.

Last week I was rust-treating with a blend of old diesel fuel and motor or sunflower oil (I used both) and found I could keep going until after the light went, about 7.30.

Could have been coincidence, but my best guess is that the diesel is acting as a repellent. Dunno if this has any general practical application, but I thought it a mildly interesting collateral benefit.

It MIGHT be relevant that the diesel was probably a few years old, and apparently polymerized (perhaps oxidized?) having thrown some tarry precipitate in the bottom of the plastic jerrycan it was in.

It'll be interesting to see how long the effect persists.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Beating the OTHER bugs   Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:36 pm

What about the ants? They vacate the car yet?

My understanding of the oil+diesel underseal is that it's an old (50's?) method of rust prevention that was widely used prior to proper solutions coming to market (e.g. waxoyl). Any reason you opted for it over the alternatives?
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Beating the OTHER bugs   Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:21 am

Justwatching wrote:
What about the ants? They vacate the car yet?

My understanding of the oil+diesel underseal is that it's an old (50's?) method of rust prevention that was widely used prior to proper solutions coming to market (e.g. waxoyl). Any reason you opted for it over the alternatives?

Don't much like "proper solutions". Value loaded and predjudicial, mlud.

The ants didn't like it much and did a lot of milling around, though I havn't confirmed their departure or done a body count. Ants can be defeated just by moving the car a lot, so they lose any patrols they have out, and get into unpredictable geopolitical conflicts with rival nest territories. I think they get tired of taking casualties and evacuate or succumb.

I've used waxoyl in the UK. Didn't think much of it and probably wouldn't use it again, unless I could improve it by using it in my own blend or changing the method of application, for which I have some ideas. It'd probably be impossible to find here anyway, and I doubt it has any effect on mosquitos, though it might attract sheep.

I havn't used any of its commercial competitors, like Dinitrol, and they might be better.

I use diesel/oil blend because my impression is that it works better (though I have no hard data for this and it'd be hard to get any), its (almost) free, and its easy to apply. I used an empty toilet cleaner spray bottle and about 30% oil this time, but I've never really standardized the recipe.

It does smell a bit unpleasant though (to me as well as probably to mossies), can cause dermatitis, and is very nasty if you get it in your eyes. Kerosene is better for smell (though less available) and white spirit works too. You can also use a water-oil emulsion but it doesn't spray or penetrate as well.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beating the OTHER bugs   

Back to top Go down

Beating the OTHER bugs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1