View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OldToot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Audi A2 - thoughts?   Wed May 27, 2015 12:44 pm

I currently drive a 180k-ish miles Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi. It cost not much, it gives reasonable miles per gallon, doesn't break down, and is cheap to maintain. It also has a decent amount of equipment, because it's an 'Exclusive' model, with climate control (that works!) and cruise control and a big electric glass roof (which might have been an optional extra when it was new) It even came with a towbar fitted, which means I can pile 3 bikes on the back of it when we go on holiday.

Despite all these virtues, it's duller than one of those old Ever Ready bike lights. After two years I still lose it in car parks (they only came in about three colours, it seems) and I would struggle to draw it accurately because I can't be bothered to look at all of it. And I can't draw.

I also feel a bit bad about chucking out soot and so on from the back of it, especially as, if I'm honest, it's too big for what we use it for most of the time.

So my main three issues are:

1) It's tediously dull
2) It's too big
3) It's a diesel and that makes me feel guilty

However, on the plus side we have:

1) It cost next to nothing
2) It runs fine (11 months MOT remaining too)
3) When things do go wrong it's cheap to fix

I'm trying to make a case to the OH that we can address issues 1-3 without losing positives 1-3 by replacing it with a petrol Audi A2.

I would welcome input as to the validity of my case Smile
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Audi A2 - thoughts?   Wed May 27, 2015 3:22 pm

I'd advise against because...

1) your banger is reliable, which makes it a rare bird in a market awash with lemons
2) speaking of lemons, you risk getting one ever time you change cars
3) it will cost money as you won't get much for your Citroen, then you'll have to buy the (presumably) more expensive Audi

Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Audi A2 - thoughts?   Wed May 27, 2015 3:45 pm

Justwatching wrote:
I'd advise against because...

1) your banger is reliable, which makes it a rare bird in a market awash with lemons
2) speaking of lemons, you risk getting one ever time you change cars
3) it will cost money as you won't get much for your Citroen, then you'll have to buy the (presumably) more expensive Audi

Killjoy! Smile

1) Surely my luck with this one cannot last, and surely swapping a very high mileage common-rail diesel for a fairly high mileage petrol is a good idea?

2) This is true - that luck can't hold forever I suppose. I've only had one really bad one, and as that was a Fiat I think it might have left the factory that way Smile

3) I can't argue with that, but it won't cost much - A2 petrols are quite cheap now, and given that they are all aluminum they won't rust. I can see myself still driving one in 5 to 10 years if it carries on working as the design is still fresh (rather than looking like a potato as per the Citroen) and it 'feels' like the right combination of space (boot as big as a Focus) and size (it's only 3m 80cm long)

Hmm. I don't think these arguments are good enough to convince the OH.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Audi A2 - thoughts?   Wed May 27, 2015 11:17 pm

OldToot wrote:
Killjoy! Smile

:Ha:

OldToot wrote:

1) Surely my luck with this one cannot last, and surely swapping a very high mileage common-rail diesel for a fairly high mileage petrol is a good idea?

Depends. Is it luck? If you've neglected the car, you might have a point. If you have maintained it well though, surely this is why you bothered doing it - so the car would last. Thus selling defeats the purpose of the maintenance.

Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2013-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Audi A2 - thoughts?   Thu May 28, 2015 10:14 am

Isn't the A2 a small potato :-)

My head completely agrees with Justwatching....

...but, when your heart is not in the current car perhaps it is time for a change? Just avoid the 'lemons'.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Audi A2 - thoughts?   

Back to top Go down

Audi A2 - thoughts?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1