Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Imagine if...   Wed May 20, 2015 12:32 am

...Bangernomics went mainstream.

Unthinkable, right?

But play silly buggers with me for a moment anyway and just pretend. What do you think about it? Would it help or hinder us?

Would it make banger prices rocket and thus defeat the point?

Might make old car parts even cheaper (economy of scale) and more readily available on the flip side.

Would it spoil the fun? There'd be no eccentric/odd-ball social image associated with bangernomics if everybody was in on it. Whether that's a positive or negative is a matter of perspective and preference, but I personally like driving something 'different'. Might not carry the same sense of achievement either.

Wouldn't be judged or asked annoying questions though, like "couldn't you just get a better car?" or "was it your granddad's?" (yes, I've been asked these).

The thought of not needing to explain bangernomics because everyone already knows just blows my mind...it's like contemplating the size of the universe.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Imagine if...   Wed May 20, 2015 9:33 am

Justwatching wrote:
...Bangernomics went mainstream.

Unthinkable, right?

But play silly buggers with me for a moment anyway and just pretend. What do you think about it? Would it help or hinder us?

Might make old car parts even cheaper (economy of scale) and more readily available on the flip side.

Would it spoil the fun? There'd be no eccentric/odd-ball social image associated with bangernomics if everybody was in on it. Whether that's a positive or negative is a matter of perspective and preference, but I personally like driving something 'different'. Might not carry the same sense of achievement either.

Wouldn't be judged or asked annoying questions though, like "couldn't you just get a better car?" or "was it your granddad's?" (yes, I've been asked these).

The thought of not needing to explain bangernomics because everyone already knows just blows my mind...it's like contemplating the size of the universe.

You think you're oddball in the Yook? Try it in a basically Chinese culture where shiny newness gives "face". (I know there's a Terry and June conformist element in the Yook but its got nothing on here.)

Every time one of my teacherette colleages sees me she says "Your car, can it still work?" I mean every time, maybe twice a week for the last 4-5 years.

There's a security guy patrols on a bicycle. If I'm having a bit of a fettle he stops and we have a chat. It goes.

"This car is too old" ses he.

"No, I am too old" ses I. "This car isn't old enough"

"I think you can buy another car" ses he (probably thinking that I get paid more than him, but...)

"I can't find one old enough in Taiwan" ses I

"No, you must to buy a NEW car!" ses he

"I don't like new cars" ses I

rinse and repeat. Interminably.

Old ladies come up and stare at it and shake their heads.

This is all bonus.

Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Imagine if...   Wed May 20, 2015 9:35 am

Sorry, DP
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Imagine if...   Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:46 am

Occurs to me I never really answered your questions, so

Justwatching wrote:

Yes, it would, but then there isn't really agreement on what "the point" is anyway. We've had people arguing that a classic Beetle is a bangernomic car, for example, and that'd be quite close to the general situation if bangernomics went mainstream, which implies that old cars became valued.

This is incompatible with the disposable car aspect of bangernomics as originally defined, but I'm not terribly keen on that personally, because I think old cars have inherent value, since they are more maintainable.

Justwatching wrote:

Yes, and that'd be a big plus. It's not so much economy of scale as supply and demand. To take an extreme example, when I ran a Lada they were considered highly disposable and got scrapped if the ashtrays filled up, but it was hard to get parts from a scrappy. There was a supply, but no demand, so they just got melted down.

Same situation is general here because old cars are not valued.

Justwatching wrote:

Would it spoil the fun? There'd be no eccentric/odd-ball social image associated with bangernomics if everybody was in on it.

Yes, that'd be a loss (see above post).

Overall though, it'd be a net gain, especially, IMO, environmentally, as least in the short term, though that isn't generally the view of govts.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Imagine if...   Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:40 am

Parenoid Postscript :

IF, (lets call it) "neo-bangernomics" became general, it'd be a threat to the bizniz model of some fairly powerful corporations. They could change the bizniz model, but in a neo-bangernomics climate that'd be slow and difficult, because of lower turnover of vehicles.

In such a situation you could expect an aggressive reaction.

This would perhaps take the form of extremely stringent testing (think Japan with added anal quality) and retrospectively applied emissions regulations and/or charges. There's a precedent for these in the later proposed London "congestion charge" tariffs for older larger engined (diesel?- can't remember the details) vehicles which made them prohibitively expensive.

IOW, it probably wouldn't be allowed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Imagine if...   

Back to top Go down

Imagine if...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1