HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | .

When is a car not worth welding up anymore?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
greendefender123
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2014-03-13

PostSubject: When is a car not worth welding up anymore?   Tue May 12, 2015 8:59 am

Iv just finished welding up a car. In the end it need 9 plates. Tho 3 where on the same part. The car had never been welded before and probably shouldnt of passed its last mot. As i cant imagine all the rust has come through in only 12months. The old dear i got it from bought it from a garage. Big holes in some of it.
When would you decide not to weld up a car anymore? As in its had to much welding before. Im not really talking about replace panels mainly mot type repairs. This one probably wasnt worth it really but i like a project and need the cash from selling it back on.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: When is a car not worth welding up anymore?   Wed May 13, 2015 5:07 pm

greendefender123 wrote:
probably shouldnt of passed its last mot. As i cant imagine all the rust has come through in only 12months.

My bloody Rover. Shocked at how much rot a so-called 'roadworthy' car can have. Think the MoT tester must have been on the take, because there's no way it should have passed the last MoT. We talkin' structural rot too, not just body holes. I've welded up the sills three times and still have more patches to do. Then there's the wheel arch rot I which I've botched together with badly done welds and isopon. Only copious amounts of underseal can hide my sins and save the car now.

Back to your question. For the average punter, the answer is easy - it's when the repairs cost more than the car. For a Do-It-Yourselfer it's a harder call as the materials seldom cost much, it's just time. Weld it as many times as you can be bothered, basically.
Back to top Go down
greendefender123
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2014-03-13

PostSubject: Re: When is a car not worth welding up anymore?   Wed May 13, 2015 7:56 pm

Missed 2 patches so im it was 11 in the end. Couldnt see the bits from underneath. then i set fire to the plastic panel inside big time. Poured a whole bucket of water in it. Luckily iv got a spare ka so swapped the pannel. You cant see the burnt part of the seat Lol. Will be glad once its moted tho. Its actually looking really good on top after a good wash and scrub. Tho its still an old ka. Might get more than 350 that i was hoping. Sold the engine out of my spare parts car aswell for 35 just need to drop it out over the weekend.
I had a Rover 414 as a first car. No rust on that one. The materials didnt really cost me anything as i used scrap steel just welding wire. Tho my welder is nearly dead, been bodging it for years. Didnt know not to buy a sip handymate but it was only 40 so il probably sell it on at some point.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: When is a car not worth welding up anymore?   Wed May 20, 2015 9:41 am

With me it was when I left the TA and no longer had access to their gas welding gear (and gas).

Living in a flat buying a MIG wasn't really an option, since I couldn't have got power to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When is a car not worth welding up anymore?   

Back to top Go down

When is a car not worth welding up anymore?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1