View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Improvised Anti-seize   Fri May 08, 2015 12:19 am

Copper-based antiseize is very difficult to find here, though I now know a place in the next city where I could buy a kg tub of it, which would last me until the heat death of the universe.

I make aluminium-based antiseize (which I've never seen here) as follows. Put a tiny dab of your grease of choice in the base dimple of an (empty, or at least unopened) beer or soft drinks can.

This is your mortar

Roll up a wee ball of aluminium foil, the finer the better.

This is your pestle

Rub the pestle around in the mortar until the grease looks dark gray enough. Then scoop it out with your finger and apply.

If you don't want to get your finger dirty, wear gloves (or use a plastic bag) but you were probably doing that already, you big Jessie.

Course you lot can just drop in to Halfords, but you might get caught out sometime.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Improvised Anti-seize   Fri May 08, 2015 5:50 pm

edlithgow wrote:
I now know a place in the next city where I could buy a kg tub of it, which would last me until the heat death of the universe.

This. I bought a 500g tub, forgot I had it, then bought another Headbang

edlithgow wrote:
If you don't want to get your finger dirty, wear gloves (or use a plastic bag) but you were probably doing that already, you big Jessie.

You don't don't know the half of it. I'll be wearing safety glasses, ear protection, a respirator, gloves, steel toe cap boots and a full body condom like the southern softy I am.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Improvised Anti-seize   Sun May 10, 2015 8:32 am

Justwatching wrote:
edlithgow wrote:
I now know a place in the next city where I could buy a kg tub of it, which would last me until the heat death of the universe.

This. I bought a 500g tub, forgot I had it, then bought another Headbang

Somewhat similarly, I got a couple of sachets of uber-expensive Bendix Ceramlube (which my online research had indicated was the last word in high-tech brake grease) when I was in Australia, but couldn't find it when I was doing the brakes, and ended up improvising as above (plus PTFE). Doh!

I tend to hoard the complimentary sachets of shampoo they give you in hotels, which my GF disapproves of, so she may have chucked out the Ceramlube sachets along with the shampoo.

Or she might have used it on her hair. She's been complaining that a lot of its been falling out lately Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Improvised Anti-seize   

Back to top Go down

Improvised Anti-seize

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1