Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Breeds of Bangernomics   Sat May 02, 2015 3:20 pm

Here on the bangernomics forum we know there's more than one way to approach the practice. So, rather than looking at particular examples, I thought I'd have a go at delineating the different strategies.

Casual bangernomics: You just buy a car that's not new. The more depreciation absorbed by the previous owner, the better. Exactly how old or at what price a vehicle could be considered bangernomical is debatable, so I won't attempt to specify. Maintenance and repair is outsourced. This approach has the slimest potential for savings, but is also the lowest commitment.

Amateur bangernomics: As above, but owner is more inclined to have a good at taking care of things themselves. Small/easy operations such as changing lightbulbs, oil and filter changes, etc. are tackled by the owner. Larger/more complex operations (clutch replacement, timing belt change, etc.) are outsourced. A good balance between cost saving and convenience.

Pro. bangernomics: Virtually all repair and maintenance performed in-house. Vehicles are usually well into their twilight years now (10+) as these individuals take cheap motoring quite seriously and seldom settle for anything short of zero depreciation.

Extreme bangernomics: Nothing but the cheapest thing on wheels will do for this majestic penny-pinching crusader. Vehicles are of scrap quality, often purchased with no MoT, and are brought back from the edge using well developed engineering skill. Not for the faint-hearted and comes with a high risk of acquiring a money pit. Top-dog for bragging rights though.

Classic bangernomics: Not an obvious approach to saving money as classic cars often have temperamental reliability, low fuel economy and have long passed their lowest value. Does have some merit though as the vehicles are depreciation free (might even appreciate slightly if you're lucky), easy to work on (so long as we forget the bane of every classic car - rust), some get tax exemption and parts are often cheap due to simple design. Only really works in low mileage scenarios.

Heirloom bangernomics: The rarest form of bangernomics. Vehicles are kept within a family and passed through generations. A high initial purchase price doesn't phase this long term strategy. Better make sure it's a car you like though.

False-economy bangernomics: the idiot who buys a car on the cheap but thinks it's clever to not maintain it. Vehicle falls into an unusable state of repair, usually within a year, and the cycle repeats. Has the initial appearance of money saving, but is actually very wasteful and inefficient, hence the name.

Share your thoughts on how you approach vehicle ownership. Any broad strategies not covered?
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Breeds of Bangernomics   Tue May 05, 2015 9:18 am

Justwatching wrote:

Share your thoughts on how you approach vehicle ownership. Any broad strategies not covered?

I'm a combo of Pro/Extreme/False-economy, except I wouldn't accept that there's "a high risk of acquiring a money pit" with Extreme, since you can always get rid.

Similarly, I think older cars can stand some neglect, which is part of their charm.

I do embarrass myself sometimes (eg 5 years without a change of brake fluid.), but I'm not very tolerant of rust, which seems to be a fatal blind spot with many people.

My broad strategy is to live somewhere which has a rather less anal vehicle inspection regime than the UK.

The snag is there are very few old cars here.

I'd LIKE to do classic, but its pricy. I'm on the lookout for a Datsun pickup truck, but IF I found one I couldn't bring myself to scrap the Skywing, so I'd end up with 2 cars. Not very bangernomical.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Breeds of Bangernomics   Sun May 10, 2015 12:14 am

I'm also Conflicted. I go Extreme out of sheer tightness, but with a tendancy toward Classic. I end up being faithful to neither (that is, a car that's not quite a classic and that I paid more than scrap money for).
Back to top Go down
greendefender123
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2014-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Breeds of Bangernomics   Tue May 12, 2015 8:39 am

Im abit Pro Extreme and Classic.

Classic: Iv rebuilt my Defender onto a galvanised chassis but i only replace parts when needed and use the best quality products i can afford. So i see this as classic. Its not going down in value anyway.

Pro: My daily/trial car which is a 1997 Suzuki x90 which il be rust proofing soon. I run it cheaply but keep it well maintained as i rely on it and compete in reliability/classic trials aswell.

Extreme: just bought an 03 plate Ford Ka for 50 to make some money on it to go into my new kitcar project which iv been given. Even tho iv welded 9 plates on it i should still make 200 after iv moted it.

Can you get more bangernomics than that, buying cars fixing them to sell to keep your other cars going? Made over a grand on a Range Rover by doing this.
Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2013-01-08

PostSubject: Pramateur?   Mon May 18, 2015 12:39 am

Interesting category split, (don't want to say 'breakdown').

Probably fall between amateur and pro with a hint of extreme.
> I'll do more than just change fluids but have to outsource the bigger jobs.
> The cheaper the car the better, until the last car, never gone over 360, two previous being 250-265.
> Haven't got one without an MOT or non-runner so far, more for practical reasons like getting it back, but never say never ;-)
> Can't be too big as the wife won't drive it, (sooner or later I'll get one just for me).
> Keep them maintained with the hope that the the longer I can keep them the better.
Back to top Go down
alan_breen
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Breeds of Bangernomics   Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:00 pm

I would class myself as an amateur. I do the easy maintenance with the more difficult stuff passed to my mate who is a mechanic and only needs a few beers to service and MOT my car.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breeds of Bangernomics   

Back to top Go down

Breeds of Bangernomics

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1