View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: The two belt, one alternator mystery   Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:28 pm

My Volvo has two alternator belts (picture below). Bizarrely, the belts don't tension evenly despite being the same size and routed over the same pulley pathway. The belt closest to the engine is slacker than the one nearest the radiator. I end up having the front belt slightly over-tight and the rear belt slightly looser than desired. No detected pulley play or bearing noise. Thoughts?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: The two belt, one alternator mystery   Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:55 am

Weird

If it isn't a lot of work, I'd consider swapping them over, so you have the tighter belt closer to the shaft bearing, which might put less strain on it.

This assumes the variable is the belt and not some small difference in the path length.

I believe you can get "belt dressings" that increase belt stickiness, so that might allow you to lower the compromise tightness a bit. Never used one, and don't know whats in them. Rubber solution?
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: The two belt, one alternator mystery   Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:12 am

Doesn't sound like its a problem, but if it became one, and if this guy isn't talking crap (seems to be some argument about that) then maybe you could swap your two belts for a single one of his recommended high performance industrial aramid fibre ones.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The two belt, one alternator mystery   Mon May 04, 2015 6:56 pm

edlithgow wrote:
If it isn't a lot of work, I'd consider swapping them over,

Wish I had thought of that. It's more difficult than it looks to get them on/off, particularly getting the belt to transition from the front to rear pathway. When I saw what was happening I took them both off and visually compared them, but didn't think to swap them over to see if the problem was the pathway or the belt. Just assumed it wasn't the belt as they were both new, from the same manufacturer, had the same measurements printed on them and looked the same side-by-side.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: The two belt, one alternator mystery   Thu May 07, 2015 12:41 am

After you mentioned this I noticed that the irrigation rigs in the ricefields around the campus use a double belt to link the pump and the single-cylinder-Chinese-Yanmar-diesel-knock-off. Probably taking more power than your alternator for long periods, but doesn't seem to cause any problem.

Over time it might be self-compensating, the tighter belt wearing more so they even-out.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The two belt, one alternator mystery   Thu May 07, 2015 4:51 pm

edlithgow wrote:
Over time it might be self-compensating, the tighter belt wearing more so they even-out.

Hoping so. For now I'm just prodding the belts every time I lift the bonnet to check fluids. I've only had to adjust the tension once so far.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The two belt, one alternator mystery   

Back to top Go down

The two belt, one alternator mystery

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1