View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Motorcycles   Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:56 pm

Microcars got me thinking about motorcycles. Anyone on here ride? I used to ride a '83 honda CB back when I was in college, but that's it. There's a lot to said for bikes, especially where economy is concerned. They're cheap to buy, insure, tax, service and get great fuel economy, too. I don't have great confidence in other drivers though, so not sure. Your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycles   Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:24 am

I've got about 2.5, plus the use of the GF's scooter. All 2.5 are currently broken, and I dunno when I'll have time to fix them.

Taiwan has more "motorcycles" (including the majority scooters) per head than anywhere else in the world, but they are nearly all 150cc or less, which isn't very "real biker" friendly. The general standard of driving/riding is fairly abysmal, which makes them especially dangerous, but of course they are inherently dangerous everywhere.

I'm not much of a rider but I quite like tinkering, and the motorcycles generally available are fairly low tech (mostly Honda CB125 or CG125 clones, if that means anything to you) which is tinkering-friendly, if you can find the time.

I chose rather badly, though. I have 1.5 Yamaha RZR's, which is an old 133cc 2-stroke, with no manuals available and difficulty in sourcing parts. Its relatively fast when it goes, but there's always the nagging fear that the engine is going to seize and kill you.

The other is a 150cc Kymco Zing. I believe these were/are available in the UK at 125cc. The engine is pretty bullet proof (CG 125 clone) but its an extremely heavy Hardly-Davidson cruiser style, which is frankly bloody silly at 150cc, must be worse at 125cc, and when I rode it I was always rather afraid of dropping it on my leg.

Better choices would have been the SYM Wild Wolf (Honda CB 125 clone) which I think is available in the UK, and/or a Hartford (Honda CG 125 clone), ditto.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycles   Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:28 pm

Cautious about two-stroke. Vast majority of bikes seem to be four-stroke now, even the small 125's. The oil is quite expensive (at least in the UK it is) and you have to get the ratio correct and well mixed every time otherwise your bike will smoke like a chimney, or worse, overheat, melt and seize.

Thinking a 125cc won't be enough. I only want 60 mph out of it, but I don't want it screaming and vibrating. Thinking 250-500cc would handle A/B roads with more dignity. Royal Enfield's have caught my attention in particular, but still browsing/open to other ideas. Think I prefer air cooled over liquid cooled (ascetically nicer, lighter weight and less to go wrong/maintain).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

What you said about weight bothers me, too. The above Enfield is something like 198kg! That's getting on for double what my little ol' Honda was, and I still managed to drop it once. Okay, not so much drop as put down briskly, but it taught me something - if a bike wants to go down, there's not much I can do to stop it.

At just 5'5'', I also have to consider saddle height. Big bikes, especially tall bikes, will look ridiculous with me on them, not to mention dangerous if I can't support the bike properly (see above about falling over).
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycles   Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:07 am

Yeh, 2-strokes arenít really worth the hassle, though all but the very oldest (say a BSA Bantam or classic Vespa/Lambretta) will have an oil metering pump so (providing it works) you dont need to worry about oil mixing ratio, and it'll use less oil.

Piaggio had/has a direct injection system which overcame the main snags of 2-strokes (pollution and poor fuel economy) and may (have) been available in the UK.

†I thought a (British) Royal Enfield would be a vintage bike no longer in production, and an (Indian) current Enfield was called. well.. an Enfield India? Maybe that's changed, since (with its shiny disc with its ..er..slightly overbling holes, that's clearly a current model.

It probably stops better, which is hard to argue with, but some of the retro appeal is lost.

I've heard they are imported here, and I'd rather like one, but they'll be VERY expensive here, they're over the 250cc limit so I'd need the special super-heavy license, but they still wouldn't have the rather limited expressway access (NOT Freeway/motorway) access that the bigger bikes get.

One nice thing about the UK is that bikes above 50cc (I think) are allowed on the much safer motorways, though I used to push it a bit by taking my Honda SS50 on, L plates removed.

If you like retro but want something modern, perhaps consider a Kawasaki W650. Saw one a while ago here and was quite impressed. I think there's also a 400 which is an awkward size here but would be OK in the yook.

"l
Ducked wrote:Saw one this morning. Nice looking retro pseudo-brit twin, but it was on a white plate. That legal?

I assume it was a temporary/test plate (試 written on the side). They are valid for a few days and are supposed to be for testing a newly imported vehicle or driving it to the test centre for inspection.

I think those plates are also used by the manufacturers for evaluating various prototypes and 'development samples' without having to register them. Since the W650 has been out of production for a while now, I'm guessing this wasn't imported new and probably not by a Kawasaki dealer either.

It would be nice if Kymco were going to license the design or make a good copy of it. It's well within their capacities as a manufacturer, and more importantly it's something Ah Huang can work on without stuffing things up too badly."

The last comment is by a local expat motorcycle expert, and a significant endorsement.

If I didn't prefer old tech, was a serious biker, and money was no object (none of these apply) I d just get a Kawasaki Ninja 250, which are officially imported here but very expensive. Probably not so bad in the Yook.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycles   Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:17 pm

Nope, still called Royal Enfield. You're right about them being made in India. UK production stopped in 1970, IIRC. They're not cheap, but not extortionate either - £4,500 is the best new price I can find. Residual values are strong, so older bike aren't that much cheaper. About the brakes, I think it's an agreeable trade-off.

Good call on the Kawasaki. They only make the W800 now (in the UK makret, anyway), which is too big. I'm not looking for something especially powerful/fast. The 400/650's seem quite rare - not many in the used market.
Back to top Go down
SOJC
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycles   Fri May 15, 2015 2:12 am

I put my bikes back on the road, as the ShiteOldJapaneseCar was becoming ruinous to operate. It was economical, being a Toyota diesel, but being classed for tax under the old Irish capacity system was costing me 700 quid per annum for road tax.
I thought, 'sod this' and parked it up round the back, did a service on the GS850, arranged some insurance and hit the road with it. I have another one of those and an XS650, so am sorted for personal transport for the foreseeable future.
That was in 2012, and I've not driven a car since.
Bangernomics as applied to older bikes:
There are lots of NOS parts floating around, bankrupt stock from ex-dealers, clearance auctions and the like - most of this finds its way onto ebay and a set of Carbon Lorraine pads cost me 8 quid †- I stocked up on them. At the moment, the GS850 is still too numerous and unregarded to achieve classic status and isn't being sought out by the restoration donkeys, so used parts prices are low, low, low.
Another handy thing that Suzuki did, back in the day, was to re-use as many parts across various models as they could - so, for example, wheels, drive compoents, gearbox internals, are shared across a variety of models and even now, I'm fairly sure the final drive gear and rear wheels of their current range of cruisers could be adapted to mine, thirty years on.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycles   Fri May 15, 2015 11:53 pm

SOJC wrote:
tax under the old Irish capacity system was costing me 700 quid per annum

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
Back to top Go down
SOJC
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycles   Sat May 16, 2015 12:21 am

Yep, because it was a 1989 car it was taxed at the same rate as a 2L petrol (ignoring the fact of it not being a petrol, just taxed on the raw engine size) and road tax here under the old system was swingeing on anything above 1100cc. Various brackets, going in cc classes and you can imagine how wealthy you'd have to be to afford a Jag.
Unfortunately, nobody gets let off the tax bracket their car was in originally, even though a new classification system came in, based on emissions, same as the UK - it's not retro-active.

Now, a classic (officially over 30 years old) can avail of low, cheap road tax (80 quid p.a. iirc) and I'm keeping the SOJC until 2019, then putting it back on the road for a couple of years, just to spit in their faces.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycles   Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:27 am

SOJC wrote:
Yep, because it was a 1989 car it was taxed at the same rate as a 2L petrol (ignoring the fact of it not being a petrol, just taxed on the raw engine size)

Insurance do/did that in the Yook too, IIRC. Much higher premiums for diesels than petrol models, based on capacity, despite the lower power output.

I argued and they said "diesels cost more to repair". No explanation as to why that was relevant for 3PFF.

Keep it rustproofed while its laid up. Spray it with diesel/motor oil mix
Back to top Go down
SOJC
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Just got another one   Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:46 am

A 1992 XJ900 pre-Divvy.
Been really well looked after by the PO. 108,000 miles - High mileage for a bike, and enough to depress its value into true bangernomics territory - I paid £200 for it.
Thing is; I know for a fact the XJ900 will do starship mileage without trouble and I seriously expect this one will just carry on, and on, and on, like an Ariston. Probably better than an Ariston, more like a Miele.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycles   Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:29 pm

200 quid for a 4 cyl 900cc shaft drive Yamaha in good nick??!!!

!!?!?

That seems a spectacular deal and contrasts pretty sharply with my memory of UK motorcycle prices.

I just paid almost that (7,000NT) for a 125cc Sym Wild Wolf (Honda CB125 clone) about the same age, with pitted forks.

Should have haggled.

I'm depressed now.
Back to top Go down
SOJC
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycles   Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:41 pm

edlithgow wrote:
200 quid for a 4 cyl 900cc shaft drive Yamaha in good nick??!!!

!!?!?

That seems a spectacular deal and contrasts pretty sharply with my memory of UK motorcycle prices.

I just paid almost that (7,000NT) for a 125cc Sym Wild Wolf (Honda CB125 clone) about the same age, with pitted forks.

Should have haggled.

I'm depressed now.

No need to be depressed - that's only the starting price. It cost me to get it transported here and now I have to officially import and tax it. There won't be much duty on it, it being such an old bike, but even so, the final price OTR is likely to be around 600~700 Euros. Not such a bargain as it first seems, but I wouldn't have found one like this here for any less, and likely considerably more.

I've spent the last couple of afternoons giving it a going-over and now I'm off out on it. Smile
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycles   Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:25 am

Sorry, forgot to congratulate you on your find. Good to know its possible.

Though I'm a bit of a mug, its still a relatively small amount of money. (GF could probably spend that on, say, eyelashes)

New forks'll cost about what I paid for the bike, so I'll be trying some half-assed temporary "repairs" before I eventually have to bite the bullet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Motorcycles   

Back to top Go down

Motorcycles

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1