HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | .

How many bleed nipples on your back wheels?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: How many bleed nipples on your back wheels?   Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:19 am

I thought they usually had one for each wheel, but it looks like I've only got one on the RHS.

Its a 1986 Daihatsu Skywing, though, which isn't known in the UK. Mostly seems to be like a Charade G10
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: How many bleed nipples on your back wheels?   Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:29 pm

"I thought they usually had one for each wheel"

I second this. Never come across a caliper/brake cylinder that didn't have a bleed valve.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: How many bleed nipples on your back wheels?   Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:39 pm

Apparently it was fairly common on older cars.

Beam axle Fords (Capri's et al) have been quoted to me as examples, but I've never had one of them.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: How many bleed nipples on your back wheels?   Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:09 pm

Had a '77 MKII Capri (w/ beam axle) which had bleed valves on each corner, as did my '83 MKI Fiesta.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: How many bleed nipples on your back wheels?   Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:46 pm

Maybe they meant a MkI. Dunno. This is the first one I've seen, but I wouldn't necessarily have noticed. Its taken me something like three years to get around to replacing the brake fluid on this car, which, judging by the amount of sludge in the reservoir, is far too long, and bodes ill for the master cylinder.
Back to top Go down
owelly
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: How many bleed nipples on your back wheels?   Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:13 am

I've had a couple of kit cars and 4x4s with beam axles and only one bleed nipple. Thee's a flexi from the body/chassis down onto the axle, then hard-piped to one cylinder and where you'd expect to se another nipple, there's a hard pipe back to the the other cylinder on the other side and then a bleed nipple as expected.
Hth.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: How many bleed nipples on your back wheels?   Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:36 am

Yeh, that describes it rather well.

think its probably a standard wheel cylinder and they substitute the cross-pipe connection for the bleed nipple. It'll save them a brake hose and a nipple, which doesn't seem much but I suppose it adds up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How many bleed nipples on your back wheels?   

Back to top Go down

How many bleed nipples on your back wheels?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1