View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Sayonara Sierra   Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:43 am

Finally have to bite the bullet and bao-fei (cancell the reg and scrap) my 2.0L DOHC Sierra. Its been static on campus for 2 or 3 years and they, not unreasonably, want it gone.

Feel a bit guilty, since its pretty much a modern classic, and very rare here. Considering the level of neglect its in generally very good condition, though there's a lot of rat Ooops on the carpets.

(That was an automated Ooops, courtesy of the resident Mary Whitehouse Module)

I stopped using it because the timing chain guide broke, causing it to be pretty rattly. Proper replacement is a fairly big deal, though it can apparently be done engine-in and I thought I might try it in the vacation.

Meantime,  while I had the engine open applying some half-assed band-aid workaround attempt, and had gone upstairs for something a tropical downpour put quite a bit of water in it.

IF I'd just changed the oil and taken it for a long run straight away to heat up it might have been OK, but I messed around with homemade flushing oils, then had to attend a meeting, and I guess it suffered internal corrosion before I finally cooked all the water off. It developed some worrying noises, though it still ran.

That's the most sophisticated car I've owned, the only automatic and (non-diesel) fuel injected one, and also the only one I've actually killed through stupidity, though others have suffered.

A Question: What bits might be worth taking off before it goes to the scrappies in a day or two's time?

I'm thinking maybe alternator and the radio/speakers. I'd doubt the ignition coil or much else is likely to be compatible with my present or any likely future vehicles.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Sierra   Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:45 pm

That is a shame indeed.  Wob 

Depends on your motivation for removing parts. If it's for use on future non-sierra cars, there's not much. Mostly small but handy to have items like fuses and light bulbs, maybe the odd exhaust section if it's generically shaped. If you want to take parts of to sell, take everything (or as much as you can reasonably store). Even if not for the money, for the sake of keeping other sierras going.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Sierra   Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:28 am

Thanks for your reply.

The alternator is worth 300 to them, so I let them keep it, since I'd likely never use it, though of course my alternator will now fail next week.

Dead battery would apparently have been worth 100 if it was still in the car.

I ended up with about 11000 NT, (about 200 quid last time I checked) which is what they'd told us on the phone, but which I hadn't really believed, based on experience with British scrappies.

That'll be mostly metal value, since there'll be negligable demand for Sierra spares (driver said he hadn't towed one in over a year), but it's a fairly heavy car.

Since this is more than I paid for the car, it makes banger-buying an even better deal here than I thought it was, IF you can find one. They are very thin on the ground though.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Sierra   Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:03 am

Ah. A bit more like British scrappies now, but with a delay.

Turns out they gave me the wrong price, based on it having alloy wheels, which I suppose is the norm now, though I wouldn't particularly thank you for them.

The wheels were very obviously (rusty) steel under the wheel covers, plus I saw the driver chuck a magnet on them, presumably a standard procedure, though I don't see how you'd fake alloys.

Anyway, he apparently forgot, and wants 800NT (about 16 quid) back. I suppose I'll pay it, though it eats into my profit margin quite a lot.
Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2013-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Sierra   Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:27 am

It is a shame when the final day comes.

Shock
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Sierra   Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:17 am

EasternBloc wrote:
It is a shame when the final day comes.

Shock

Especially when, as in this case, it could probably have been avoided.

Before I had the car, but not the time. Now I have the time (summer vacation) but not the car.

Of course I don't have my own storage, which has always been a pain, but it's also a bit of an excuse. If I'd kept it looking clean and moved it occaisionally (towing if necessary) I'd have probably got away with keeping it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Sierra   

Back to top Go down

Sayonara Sierra

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1