View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: That'll buff out...right?   Fri May 23, 2014 11:32 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: That'll buff out...right?   Sat May 24, 2014 9:50 am

Oh dear what happened  Wob 

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: That'll buff out...right?   Sat May 24, 2014 11:28 am

A drunk, unlicensed polish driver lost control of their car, crashed into my partners car which then rear ended my car.
Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: That'll buff out...right?   Sat May 24, 2014 12:04 pm

Any insurance ?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: That'll buff out...right?   Sat May 24, 2014 9:23 pm

Of a sort. Is it valid and will it pay out given the circumstances? Yet to be seen. It's all very sketchy. The car isn't his. He and the car are Polish, but the insurance is Latvian (go figure).

I'm now in something of a dilemma. If I claim and my insurance can't collect their losses from the polish idiot's insurance, they'll collect from my partner's insurance as it was technically her car that hit mine. Her combined excess is more than the car is truthfully worth. Not to mention, if I make a claim my car will be written off (which I don't want - it's a waste of a good car).
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: That'll buff out...right?   Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:50 am

I've heard of people buying back their written-off cars from the insurance company and continuing to run them, though I've never done it, and I dunno what happens with subsequent insurance. If they've written it off once I can't see them being keen to do it again.

Perhaps it goes 3rd party (or 3PFF) 2nd time around.

It sounds like you've got comprehensive insurance. Is it worth it?

Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: That'll buff out...right?   Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:55 pm

"It sounds like you've got comprehensive insurance. Is it worth it?"

Having comprehensive insurance or claiming?

The police sent me a compensation form. I took the car to a local body shop and got them to give me a written estimate for the repairs. It basically says that the car isn't economically repairable and estimates the value at £400. We'll see where this goes. I was a bit slow about returning it, so the prosecution may have already proceeded without me.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: That'll buff out...right?   Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:34 am

Is that damage that would need to be repaired to pass a UK MOT? The expense of this kind of repair often lies in meeting cosmetic standards. If those don't bother you (they wouldn't bother me) it might be a cheap/DIY bash-bodge.

Re insurance,  I meant "is it worth having comprehensive insurance for a banger." I'd have thought it wasn't, both financially and because of the extra complications/financial juggling that it seems to involve.

Having said that, the only time I've had comprehensive insurance, I did very well out of it, to the point of feeling guilty.

This was for a 4-ton ex-British Telecom Dodge Renault workshop truck fitted out as a palatial motor-caravan, that I lived in in London for a couple of years. Think the first day I drove it I reversed into a rather old parked-up Vauxhall Cavalier (it was terrrifying to reverse in close quarters), and got a colossal claim against me (for pretty superficial wing damage) which the insurance company settled.

A couple of years later it was broken into when parked-up in the Kings Cross area, and my tools were stolen. Since it wasn't very defensible or drivable with no windscreen, I moved out and reported it to the insurance company, who I assumed had it towed. Turned out it'd been knicked.

I dunno who knicks a huge yellow truck with no windscreen, (Rumour had it there was a market in Africa!) and if I'd been the insurance company, I wouldn't have believed it for a second.

They paid out 1200 quid, which, given the damage it'd suffered (which IIRC, wasn't likely to be covered), the original 1800 price tag, and the difficulty/impossibility I assume I'd have found in trying to sell it, was pretty satisfactory.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: That'll buff out...right?   Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:38 pm

Wasn't a price difference between comprehensive and 3rd party, but no, it wouldn't have been worth paying extra for it.

The boot let exhaust gas in after the accident (now sealed with mastic). The reverse light lens doesn't sit flush with the rear valance either (soon to get mastic). Question: is light escaping from the reverse light an MoT failure? It's white light anyway, so doesn't really make a difference, but you know what they're like. Come to think of it, are reverse lights actually a requirement? The rest of the damage is cosmetic, so although it looks like total crap it is still usable.

I should get a bangernomics medal tbh.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: That'll buff out...right?   Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:50 am

You might be able to pull some of it out. IIRC I had some success drilling a hole through the middle of a boot-dent, putting a rope through it, tying the other end to a lampost, and driving off. It was possibly a bit dangerous though.

The worst potential outcome was probably having a lamp post land on my roof, but I'D INITIALLY been going to use a rather nice nylon rope I had, which might well have fired the car back into the lamp post and undone all my good work.

Some jacks can be used/adapted as pullers, but that puts your arm rather close to the bits under tension.

You might be able to use a bottle jack on the inside, but that depends on arranging something fairly solid to brace against. AKRO's can be useful.

Re "looks like total crap", I should post some pictures of MY car sometime. Looks MUCH worse than the one I just scrapped. But I rather like that.

To gain equivalent "head turning" torque with shinyness, I'd probably have to buy a Lamborghini Contach.
Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2013-01-08

PostSubject: Re: That'll buff out...right?   Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:23 am

You're right:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My only experience with reversing light for MOT is from a couple of years ago.  Typically both bulbs worked the night before but on arrival the nearside bulb had failed.  The MOT guy pulled a face so the offside bulb was swapped to nearside and he was happy, (no spare with me that morning).  When I got home I put a spare in the offside so the pair was working again.

It might be a case as reversing lights are deemed optional that if they are not there, no problem, but if present they must pass a minimum spec. A bit like some cars where for design/cost reasons there is only one offside fog and nearside reverse light.

BUT since then a mate has said they don't check reversing lights  Question 

Perhaps someone more MOT knowledgeable will be along soon to confirm  Smile

As for the white reversing light leaking white light, they would need to be a bit picky IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: That'll buff out...right?   Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:24 pm

Been to a couple of MoT centres asking their opinion on the damage. Apparently I just need to bend the near side number plate light back so it shines up at the plate.  Thumb 
Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: That'll buff out...right?   Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:47 pm

Result, sort of.

Not the bigger job it could have become.

Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: That'll buff out...right?   Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:52 pm

Should have looked in the 4 sale 1st. A Rover to posted in the "Your Cars" soon?

A job that you won't be doing then. Sad to see it go or a relief now you have replacement wheels?

Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: That'll buff out...right?   Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:00 pm

Well, I was sad at first but now I have my Rover I'm quite happy.
Back to top Go down
Jo0Lz
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Insuring Write Offs   Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:54 pm

I've had a couple of cars that have been written off and been able to continue to use them as road legal and get them insured.
Buckled and bent panels don't preclude you getting an MOT, so long as there are no sharp edges, or structural corrosion

A PuG 309 we had got rear ended by a Post Office van 3 weeks after we bought
Got a full payout, less a small sum for us to  buy it back off the insurance company.
pulled out the rear wing and straightened the boot lid, new rear lamp unit, and continued to run it for the next 5 years till the head gasket went when the cooling fan switch failed

Then there was the Sierra that got written off 5 times in total, 4 of which when it was in the previous owners possession. Ended up without a single straight panel on it and a brush painted paint job.....
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: That'll buff out...right?   Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:11 pm

Put it up on eBay for £175 and nobody want it! Car got scrapped in the end. A waste really, but I was moving and needed it gone - what else could I do?
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: That'll buff out...right?   Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:24 am

Had a similar experience trying to sell my Nissan Sunny before I left for Taiwan. Car was in generally very good nick and very cheap, but I described it honestly, and apparently the punters don't like that.

Specifically,

(a) I said I'd disabled the automatic choke (which was faulty) so in winter it took a minute or two to warm up enough to be drivable, though it always started, even in Aberdeen. (I had a spare carb but hadn't bothered fitting it.)

(b) I posted my fuel consumption record as a graph, which showed it to be very economical

(c) I posted its last MOT fail sheet (minor stuff fixed, of course, eg new brake disks).

Too much information, apparently.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: That'll buff out...right?   Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:53 am

If it's not the arse-scratching, transit-driving pikeys that low-ball you with insanely low offers, it's the people who don't show up, or the people that ask questions clearly answered in the advert...

I loathe selling cars.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: That'll buff out...right?   Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:20 am

Think that's the only time I've tried it. Normally, a hostile MOT coinciding with a shortage of time took them away.

My mother sold one or two of mine when I wasn't looking, though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: That'll buff out...right?   

Back to top Go down

That'll buff out...right?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1