View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Rover 75 unwanted bangers?   Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:23 pm

I was at my local car auction last week and there was a plethora of unloved and unwanted cars in the lot, but what particularly caught my eye was a Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 in Wedgewood blue. Being a T registered 1999 model with only 89k showing it was a fine example, with unmarked blue leather interior and bright and dent free paintwork. It was very nice.

Just before the 75 went through the hall a 1993 Fiesta 1.1LX came in, it also was very tidy with lots of MoT and enthusiastic bidding saw it sold for £525, which just goes to show that tidy, well cared for supermini's are in demand. Then it was the 75's turn.

A reasonable description from the auctioneer didn't really spark anybodyís enthusiasm and a paltry half hearted bid of £200 started the bidding. Soon, people started to wake up as to how cheap this might be but by the time it got to £400 bidding started to waiver, and it eventually sold for £475. No, I didn't buy it because it will be difficult to move on in the current economic climate, but if I was after a daily smoker I would have snapped it up.

I know itís effectively a 10-year-old banger, but all the hopes and dreams of Rover were hinged on the success of the Rover 75. Sadly, no one was really interested when they were £25,000 new, and no one is really interested now they are only £500. The fact is, itís still a superbly engineered product and was well made, but people have long memories when it comes to the world of cars (just mention any BL product to someone), and it would seem that the 75 has already been consigned to a bygone era.

Kev.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Rover 75   Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:45 pm

Incredible isn't it? There were warped cylinder head issues with the V6 and general cooling probs which I think puts people off. I must say that I would be tempted by that one as a stop gap at the very least. You might be interested to know Kevin that I have written a book with 75s and Wedgies called The British Car Industry Our Part in its Downfall, which traces car building in the UK from 1945 until its implosion in 2005 with the demise of Rover. I have also linked to all the cars my Dad owned as he got motoring after leaving the army. I've been told that it reads well and is not just aimed at the petrol heads like us, so it makes the ideal Christmas present. I will post some details here in the next day or so.

Also I saw a lovely X plated 525iSE at BCA a few weeks back which went for £1200, now I was tempted by that.
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Rover 75 unwanted bangers?   Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:07 pm

James, that sounds like an intriguing book and I can't wait to read it. It was suggested to me by a journalist friend a while ago that I write a book about BL and Rover's big saloons, from the Princess right up to the 75, and why and where they went wrong, but I just ain't clever enough to do it. But it sounds as if you've done the subject proud.

All big cars and 4x4's are suffering, and Auto Express ran an interesting piece this week about the cars the dealers don't want, which turned up some surprises.

Kev.
Back to top Go down
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Rover 75 unwanted bangers?   Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:15 pm

As you say about the K-Series issues, they were mostly sorted by the time the 75 came along, but they still had their share of issues. Mostly, this means that a lot of K-Series engined cars, particularly the V6 engined variety, are being consigned to the scrap heap because of the cost of repairs.

KV6 engined Rover 800's are a good example of this, and even the most die hard Roverite will think hard before spending £1,000 on having an 800 Coupe engine rebuilt. A shame because they are superb cars and are already a rare sight on Britians roads, but they were consigned to the banger end of the market at least 5 years ago, so what hope for them now? The 75 is heading the same way.

Kev.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Kevin   Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:21 pm

I'll post you a book and if you like it please tell your friends and family as I am publishing this myself for all sorts of reasons, so I need to get some money back! I will hunt for your address, otherwise please email me at the usual and it will be posted on Tuesday.

I am sure there would be room for a wedge specific book, I might even publish it!

James
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: 800 Coupe   Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:24 pm

It's lovely, but you are right rebuilding an engine like is really expensive, can't remember if I mentioned that I am rebuilding a Mini Cooper engine and the sheer cost of some bits is incredible..but I am half way through and it does include the gearbox, there is though no turning back now...
Back to top Go down
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Rover 75 unwanted bangers?   Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:01 pm

You have PM. No I dodn't recall you saying you were rebuilding a Mini, but all I can say is rather you than me. I just done a resto on a Maxi and that tried my patience!

Kev.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Thanks   Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:28 pm

Cheers for the PM which I have returned...Mini is the longest term project in the world, but I had an A plus engine in it to keep it running a few years back, however I decided that I should fit the original and then found out why it ran so rough all those years ago, its an original Cooper block and head but some clever dick mixed up it up with some standard 998cc bits so it is a bit of mess, but it will be sorted.
Back to top Go down
r.welfare
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Rover 75 unwanted bangers?   Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:48 pm

It's just unbelievable how "worthless" some motors have become, isn't it? I know a chap who has a 99V 2.0V6 R75 in a barn - already! - because he doesn't want to sell it due to it's low value. I've seen it, and it's peachy - Old English White with dark green leather.

Big cost on the KV6, as I understand it, is the cambelt change - 3 belts and something crazy like 6hr book time. This aside, one wonders how many K-engined cars would not be advertised with "blown head gaskets" if their previous owners had any kind of basic mechanical sense, like checking the water level under the bonnet weekly and/or before and after a long journey. It amazes me how few people check their oil level, or tyre pressures, on a weekly basis as well.

Speaking of K-engined cars, MGFs have crashed in value as well, if eBay is anything to go by.

On the subject of E39s, I passed a Y-plate saloon (facing forwards, so unsure of engine/spec) at a small trader between Bath and Bristol earlier, up for an optimistic £5995 - I suspect it will be there a while!
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: 75s   Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:19 pm

75s in a barn, brilliant. I did write about the MGF, and what's the point of paying £16K for this new thing when the old ones are fine and cheaper. Oh yes and checking under the bonnet is something of a lost art these days and yes that would save lots of silly breakdowns.
Back to top Go down
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Rover 75 unwanted bangers?   Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:47 pm

If Rover had gone to the trouble of fitting a coolant level sensor with a light on the dash they would have saved themselves millions in K-Series warranty claims.

As for the MG TF LE, the only people excited about that are MG fans with more money than sense. Watch the values tumble...

Kev.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rover 75 unwanted bangers?   

Back to top Go down

Rover 75 unwanted bangers?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1