New Student to learn the art of Bangernomics

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alan_breen
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-03-27

PostSubject: New Student to learn the art of Bangernomics   Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:07 am

Hi Everyone

My name is Alan and I am eager to learn the art of Bangernomics.

In the past I have bought cars old and new which includes a few lemons. This includes my last car which was an MG ZR+ 180 which the head gasket blew after only owning it for 6 months. The quotes to repair was greater than the value of the car so I gave it away for free. Since then i have been using public transport to get around which I am fed up with. I believe a cheap and reliable car to get me to work would also be cheaper to run than what I am paying in bus fares.

My budget for a car is currently 600 which will grow after each pay day as I continue saving. A Friend of mine thinks I need to save more money for a car. I am interested in your views on this.

As the car would be taking me to work and back it does not need to be anything special. I just want to avoid big bills. I have no mechanical knowledge so I will be relying on local garages for repairs and spares.

In terms of a car I have been thinking of a Nissan Micra or VW Polo. The rate for a cheap one in my area is around 800 - 1000. Vauxhall Corsa's and 15 year old Ford Fiestas are cheaper but anything decent for under 500 is rare.

If anyone has any tips or experiences to share with me would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: New Student to learn the art of Bangernomics   Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:08 am

Welcome " alan_breen " Please feel free to look around, ask questions and share your own experiences :Co:

I'm sure someone will be along to help soon.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
beefybake
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: New Student to learn the art of Bangernomics   Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:20 pm

A very warm welcome my friend. Welcome
Back to top Go down
Wrench
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2007-06-04

PostSubject: Re: New Student to learn the art of Bangernomics   Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:27 pm

Welcome to the forum M8 :Wa:
Back to top Go down
MilfordHaven
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-04-29

PostSubject: Re: New Student to learn the art of Bangernomics   Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:27 pm

Welcome:Wa:Welcome
Back to top Go down
c5alan
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: New Student to learn the art of Bangernomics   Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:23 am

Welcome

The cars you are looking at are going to be expensive as they are popular for new drivers if you want a cheap car maybe look at something bigger old 1.8/2ltr+ saloon cars are generally cheaper due to higher insurance, fuel costs and keeping up with the Jones.

Maintenance buy a Haynes manual off eBay for your car you might find your inner mechanic when you see how easy it is to fix something. Next go to pound land buy some tools they are cheap and may break but replace a broken one with one from halfords or other reputable shop buy what ever they have its only a quid each spanners, mole grips, screwdrivers, hammer, wd40, hack saw should be enough to get you started. If you plan to work under the car a decent trolley jack and axle stands are a must!

If you have a problem ask someone else will have had the same problem before

2003 Citroen C5 HDI Exclusive only 218,000 miles on her so just about run in now family owned from new SOLD
1997 fourtrak SOLD thanks goodness complete death trap
2002 Renault Megane Scenic 1.9 DCI 112,000 miles soon to be on biodiesel
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: New Student to learn the art of Bangernomics   Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:07 pm

Welcome

600 is doable - I've bought quite a few cars on that budget or less. Nissan Micra is a good call. You might also want to consider a Proton. The previous poster was correct about saloon/family sized cars. Consider the higher running cost against the lower purchase cost though.

No matter what you buy, learn to fix it. It's difficult to thrive as a bangernomical motorist if you have to pay a mechanic - 40 an hour in labour is expensive (even more at dealers), they might be ripping you off or just doing a sh*t job. Even if you have to buy some tools, it will pay for itself in no time.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: New Student to learn the art of Bangernomics   Mon May 18, 2015 12:09 pm

alan_breen wrote:
I have no mechanical knowledge so I will be relying on local garages for repairs and spares.

You'll have to move to Taiwan. Paying UK mechanics labour rates gets out of hand very quickly.

I never paid anyone to do anything on a car apart from MOT-fail welding a couple of times.

Got to be a habit, so I don't use mechanics here either, though sometimes it would make more sense, and might have saved my last car.
Back to top Go down
alan_breen
Infant
Infant

PostSubject: Re: New Student to learn the art of Bangernomics   Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:34 pm

Just an update for everyone. I bought a 1997 Vauxhall Astra for 450 last September. I gave it a service myself which cost 80 for the parts. So far no trouble and running fine. MOT due in August and I am hoping it will pass.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: New Student to learn the art of Bangernomics   Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:37 am

Ah, good to hear! Thought you might have abandoned the idea.
Back to top Go down
alan_breen
Infant
Infant

PostSubject: Re: New Student to learn the art of Bangernomics   Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:49 am

I was not too sure if anyone was on this site anymore.
Back to top Go down
alan_breen
Infant
Infant

PostSubject: Re: New Student to learn the art of Bangernomics   Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:49 am

Back to top Go down
EasternBloc
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2013-01-08

PostSubject: Re: New Student to learn the art of Bangernomics   Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:12 am

Good to hear that you got a good runner and I hope it gives you many miles of trouble free service.

As long as there some 'not so new' cars there will be Bangernomics Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: New Student to learn the art of Bangernomics   Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:16 pm

alan_breen wrote:

Not many. Just a few lifers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Student to learn the art of Bangernomics   

Back to top Go down

New Student to learn the art of Bangernomics

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1