View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
3Nissans
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-02-11

PostSubject: Newbie from Ireland   Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi, my name is Peter, living in Limerick, Ireland. Myself and my wife currently drive two Nissan Micra K11's (1998 model with over 130K and 2001 model, just acquired, with 50K miles). I sold my 1999 Honda CR-V, a lovely bullet proof machine, but the scandalous engine-capacity road tax system in Ireland meant that the 2L petrol CR-V was expensive to run, the tax was twice the cost of the insurance! Also 30-ish MPG was an issue. Brilliant motor, though - had a great trip round Wales and England just 2 years ago in it. I can tax and insure BOTH the Micras for myself & my wife for 70 quid LESS than taxing & insuring the CR-V alone! Love the K11, we had the 1998 one for over 4 years now, reliable as hell, just brake pads, tyres & oil/filters, wiper pivots and anti-roll bar drop links in that time. Brilliant car in the snowy winter we had in 2010, I felt very sure and with snow chains on the front wheels, it was capable of going almost anywhere, its light body & positive FWD surely better than a 2 tonne 4WD chelsea tractor in snow! I drove a 1987 K10 micra from 1999 to 2003, using it to tow trailers, carry heavy toolboxes & renovate my house, haul us to France on holidays and ran up 240K miles on it before it dropped a valve, a weekends work & an engine from a 1993 K10 bought from the scrappy for 100 quid got it back on the road, my brother-in-law had it for 2 more years til the rust got it. Also ran up silly mileages on a 1991 Cavalier/Vectra-B and a 1988 Mk2 VW Jetta 1.6 diesel with sterling service from both cars. I also have a 1996 Nissan E24 Urvan, it was my work van for 6 years, now converted to a camper and planning a trip to the Normandy coast in France for D-Day's 70'th anniversary this year. Not a familiar machine to many of you, it is a forward-control LWB van, similar to the Toyota Hiace at the time, fitted with Nissan's legendary TD series diesel engine, also used in the black Fairway & TX-1 taxis beloved by London cabbies for their 500K+ mile reliability. Nissan have lost its way in my opinion, I did not want to get a K12 Micra, too much Renault has ruined the brand in my opinion. My Mum's 2011 Qashqai has just dumped its clutch after just 45,000 miles...In my opinion, bangernomics is the way to go. The reliability curve seems to have peaked in the years 1990 - 2002, EFI systems have been perfected and corrosion issues sorted, legends like the Corolla XLi, CG-engined Nissans, Corolla T2, early Avensis, Starlets, stand out, but modern tat has too much electronics and the diesels are highly stressed with DPF's and turbos potential financial time bombs. An old Toyota or Nissan from this period, or even an old straight diesel MK2 Golf or Jetta is the way to go for reliable daily driving, but the VW's values are now rising, thanks to an active MK2 scene, I regret selling my Jetta back in '05!
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Ireland   Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:12 pm

Welcome
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Ireland   Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:19 pm

Welcome and enjoy. Look forward to reading more from you
Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Ireland   Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:20 pm

Welcome " 3Nissans " Please feel free to look around, ask questions and share your own experiences :Co:

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Ireland   

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Ireland

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1