View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NerveJam
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-08-21

PostSubject: MOT horror story.   Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:39 pm

I took the wife's M-Reg Micra for it's MOT, in a bit of a rush, as we hadn't realised it was due. Got a quote for 300+VAT to sort the welding etc.
(needed a replacement windscreen as well..I knew about that, but- aargh!)
The MOT tester even failed his own repair from last year as "the rules have changed". Oh, and "brake pipes inadequately clipped". Balls.
Each point he found had at least 2 entries on the failure sheet, including bulbs..

Anyway, we tried to flog it for 200 as-seen. No go.
Even tried to scrap it. Max was 100.. No Chance..

So, put it on SORN, went off on Holiday.

The kids were not happy. They loved "Betty" the Micra. (why do women name cars?)

When we came back, I tried a different MOT station, who took one look at the failure sheet, and laughed out loud. "That guy's a prat. That's why I sacked him." Turns out this was true. He said (without looking at the sheet) failed on rust? Yes. "Always does.. he's a nutter. None of our customers ever came back. He had to go."

Anyway, we haggled to a price of 200 inc VAT and re-test fee. As long as I sorted the windscreen.

I tried to get a secondhand screen from a place I know, but he couldn't find a perfect one.

So I had a word with "that greedy bugger over there", (the local car sales place), and asked who did their replacement screens.

The difference in price between new and used was 30, and I would get a warranty wiht the new one..

The guy turned up when he said he would, and erected a 9 wilko's garden gazebo over the car (it was raining). He had a pig of a job getting the old one out (it was delaminating), an we were sorted in an hour.

The new MOT station sorted the car in less than a day, and we are back on the road.

So, the moral is: "Don't believe everything the MOT tester says..", and "shop around"..

Now, I need to get the "other" Micra sorted. The Goldstar I mentioned last year...

Update: Replaced the Dizzy and battery on the Goldstar. Engine sorted. Some more bits, and then it's MOT time..

Last edited by NerveJam on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
r.welfare
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: MOT horror story.   Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:39 pm

Blimey! A good result in the end though.

Might be worth looking up your local council-run MOT centre - check out Martin Lewis's Money Saving Expert website for more details.

I don't have one locally, but the guy I use is like the Moscow police - firm but fair.
Back to top Go down
NerveJam
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-08-21

PostSubject: Re: MOT horror story.   Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:47 am

Yes, I saw that on the MSE site. I might try that next time, although my "new" local garage seems pretty good.

Last edited by NerveJam on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jerrytee
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-10-27

PostSubject: Re: MOT horror story.   Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:58 pm

Getting attached to an old banger can lead you to spend more than you should on it. Never give the car a name.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MOT horror story.   

Back to top Go down

MOT horror story.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1