View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Banger Bentley   Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:34 pm

Pushing the banger boundaries a bit, but IIRC the concensus seemed to be that there weren't any.

On the recent round Taiwan Rally of visiting Japanese classics, there was also a 1929 Bentley on a truck. Dunno what the story is, but I'd guess it'd broken down so they decided to use it as a touring static exhibit. This allowed a more detailed look at the underside, though I didn't have much time, and I wasted some of it in a pointless attempt to explain to the gf that the car couldn't possibly be 223 years old, whatever the bloody Chinese sign said.

[EDIT: From press reports in English, seems the 223 years was the combined age of car, driver and co-driver. Lost in translation somewhere. ENDEDIT]

Despite Ettore Bugatti's famous "Fastest truck in the world" jibe, leading me to expect solid simplicity, it was quite complicated under there, and I didn't have time to work it all out, what with having to be somewhere else, and being conscious I was blocking other people's shots while I was poking around.

Some features:

Aftermarket oil filter.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Doesn't look big enough, but I suppose they change it quite often. Puzzlingly, there only seems to be one pipe, so I guess it must be co-axial.  I'd hope something like this would also have a bypass filter. Wonder what oil they use.

You can also see the leather end-covers on the elliptical leaf springs. Not sure what they're for, I'd guess to retain grease, though I find grease retains itself pretty well.

They don't cover the axle shackles area though, which reveal a very surprising feature. Someone (and its presumably a JAPANESE someone) has allowed a 1929 Bentley to RUST.

I find that completely astonishing.

Adjustable suspension damping

Oops! MOT fail. (Big in Japan.)

Overall, it made me feel a bit less guilty about my sloppy maintenance.

Nice car though.

Back to top Go down
beefybake
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Banger Bentley   Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:28 am

Agree very nice car indeed but as you say its very sloppy maint for such a great car.
Back to top Go down

Banger Bentley

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1