AuthorMessage
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: LHS Indicator doesn't, but buzzes   Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:19 am

On a Skywing, like a G10/G11 Charade.

So far I just dismounted the fuse box, removed flasher buzzer and wiper control boxes, and removed (with the usual difficulty) the multi-connector from back of the fuse box for continuity testing as per G100 manual.

However, the G100 connector looks different (upside down?), and I wasnít sure I understood the abbreviations, so I gave up, cleaned the contacts, and put it back together again.

LHS indicator now works most times (i.e. some improvement, but its marginal). Hazard doesnít work at all, but I can't remember them checking that on inspection, so it may not matter.

I suspect the fault may be in the multi-position switch on the steering column, which may not be easily dismantle-able.

Anyone tried a spray of electrical contact cleaner in this kind of situation?

(I might also take it to a filling station and give it a blast of compressed air.)
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: LHS Indicator doesn't, but buzzes   Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:48 am

A bad hazard switch can cause indicating problems, but usually indicating is lost on both sides. I'd keep it in mind as a suspect.

You'd certainly have nothing to lose by trying contact cleaner. If that doesn't work, I've heard WD-40 to be successful in restoring bad connections. Not sure if that's due to a desirable property of WD-40 per se, or if they simply didn't contact cleaner to hand. Try one then the other?

Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: LHS Indicator doesn't, but buzzes   Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks

After my half-baked pull and clean the LHS indicator was working maybe 8 out of 10 tries. I gave it a squirt in the indicator stalk with WD-40 and it didn't seem to make any difference, so, on the way to inspection, I took the car in for petrol and gave the steering column switch a good blast of compressed air, and after that it........

...........didnt work at all.

Doh!

I suppose "If it ain't COMPLETELY broke, don't fix it." might apply.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: LHS Indicator doesn't, but buzzes   Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:25 am

Ater driving around in the Tainan rush hour, risking my arm doing LH turn signals (which I'd guess few Taiwanese have ever seen before) the switch staged a partial recovery, to say 4 or 5 tries out of 10.

So I gave it a good blast of contact cleaner and, 24 hours later and more driving around Tainan, it..........

.........didn't work at all.

I dunno if its taught me anything, though, since I tried BOTH next. I felt it couldn't really make the LH any worse, but was aware that if I lost the RH that'd be awkward, since the RH turn hand signal is, IIRC, a bit too abstract to work with Taiwanese.

Sho nuff, 24 hours later, BOTH indicators dead, yea, even as a pair of matching doornails.

No buzzing, no nothing

Contact cleaner/compressed air (or at least THIS contact cleaner/compressed air) is shaping up as a less-than-stellar solution.

I suppose I'll have to risk losing the rest of the lights and take it apart.

An alternative half-assed improvisation MIGHT be to bypass the affected circuit (if I can identify and access it - BIG IF) and stick a microswitch above and below the indicator stalk.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: LHS Indicator doesn't, but buzzes   Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:35 pm

Interesting that compressed air upset it so much - wouldn't have seen the harm unless it's something really fragile.

It looks like the problem is with the stalk/switch itself as the operational state has changed several times following dismantle and cleaning. You might want to go back to continuity testing if you want to be sure. The question becomes why don't you replace it? Is it penny-pinching or is the part genuinely impossible to get hold of? Assuming the latter, improvisation does indeed look like your best option. I'm guessing the indicator stalk controls more than just indicators? Rigging something up will be difficult if you don't understand what each of the connectors is for, so back to the manual...

Just a thought; is there anyway of following the wires, maybe determine their function that way instead trying to decipher the markings on the stalk?
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: LHS Indicator doesn't, but buzzes   Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:18 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I don't actually have a non-engine manual for this G10/G11-ish car. I've got the G100 manual, which seems to be generally very similar, but this bit seems to be different, plus I don't understand some of the abbreviations it uses.

I THINK I might be able to identify the relevant circuits at the multi-connector from the stalk-switch, but then I'd have to construct the equivalent of a break-out box, taking some of the wires "straight across", and routing the indicators circuit via micro switches.

I'd bet its possible to buy bits to do this off the shelf in an electronics store, but finding and identifying them is going to be difficult, (especially with no Chinese), bearing in mind that I can't physically remove the parts for matching. I might be able to take an impression in plaster or something.

Simpler to try and take it apart, but that carries the risk of killing it completely, which its fragility so far suggests isn't negligable.

I havn't tried to source a replacement switch yet, but parts for anything are generally hard to find, since there is no DIY car maintenance, and the trade is a pretty closed shop. I've not so far managed to locate a useful direct source of car parts.

The Daihatsu dealer won't, er...deal with anything this old, but I do have a high-level contact in Ford Taiwan if push comes to shove.

All a bit academic at the moment anyway, since I don't have any spare time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LHS Indicator doesn't, but buzzes   

Back to top Go down

LHS Indicator doesn't, but buzzes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1