View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
troniksoul
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Alfa 147-    Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:52 pm

Ive seen a lot of Alfa 147's going cheap which appear to be fully loaded. Any one got one. What should I be looking out for when buying one.
Back to top Go down
beefybake
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Alfa 147-    Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:30 am

I had an Alfa 147 sometime back and never had any issues with it, I can't think of anything you should look for, although if you lose your keys it will cost a fortune to get them replaced  :Wa: 
Back to top Go down
Jo0Lz
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Alfa 147-    Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:00 pm

Alfas are renown for electrical issues
Just check all the gizmos work
Also the 147 & 156 have that bonnet catch issue!!
Just make sure the catch works properly
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
OldToot
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2010-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Alfa 147-    Tue May 26, 2015 12:59 pm

I had a 156 that I did about 100k miles in.

Things that (I can remember) went wrong:

Bonnet catch seized (closed, in my case) - annoying to fix. Grease it every now and again and it will be fine.

Front anti-roll bar bushes went - in fact every bush on it went eventually making the suspension very noisy. The rear suspension was rebuilt under warranty at about 58k miles. It needed doing again 60k miles later. I didn't bother Smile I believe that the front of the cars are identical under the metal? Oh, and wishbones. They give up quite often, but then I did have the 2.4 diesel, which is a heavy engine.

Front n/ brake line burst. That was exciting! The pipe comes unclipped and then rubs on the clip until the paint comes off. Then it gets rusty. Then you need to do an emergency stop and the pedal hits the floor, you swear a lot and somehow don't pile into an old lady in a Skoda, who remains as oblivious to you after the even as she was when she pulled out on you.

The gear lever went sloppy at about 80k miles and didn't centre anymore, but the gearbox itself was fine.

The circuit for the 'you have a burst bulb somewhere' is on the back of the rev counter (because that it where the 'roll your sleeves up, it's going to be another headlight bulb' light is, and so is the 'you've got the lights on' light. What I believe happens is that the two circuits (on plastic sheets) eventually melt and short each other out. What this means is that the 'you have a bulb burst' light comes on whenever you start the car regardless of the state of your bulbs, and the nearside rear light never goes fully off, even when you turn off the headlights and take the key out. This obviously means that the battery goes flat if you don't use the car for a few days. You need to replace the rev counter to fix it. I suspect the 147 is similar. If not, Ive just wasted my time and yours. Sorry.

Timing belt needs changing often. Initially it was 72k miles/ 6 years, but Alfa kept reducing this. I think official guidance is now that you need a new belt every fortnight Smile

I used to get a 1.6 as a courtesy car, and it always felt really ponderous, but that was perhaps because I was used to the low-down torque of the diesel.

And on to diesels - the 1.9 is basically the same as the diesels in Vauxhalls, so all the usual cavets apply - it might blow the turbo, it might need injectors, it will probably have DPF issues at some point, it has a dual mass flywheel and thus a clutch change can be expensive (although the 156 was on it's original clutch at 140k)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alfa 147-    

Back to top Go down

Alfa 147-

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1