AuthorMessage
r.welfare
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: My wife joins the Bangernomics club!   Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:00 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is the free Accord I mentioned in my first post. OK, it was free because it used to belong to my dad...but he only gave it to us because he got a derisory (500 I think it was) trade-in offer on a new Qashqai (yes, I know...a new car...but he has the money, so fair enough!).

The Glass's trade value on the Accord is only around 750 due to a few scrapes on the bodywork (mainly bumpers and side skirts - no rust) and the alloys, which represents a hell of a come-down for what was a fairly prestigious car in 2000; certainly, when my dad bought it from the local Honda dealer @ 3 years old and with 18k miles on it, it was 9k (and that was a 50% drop from new)...

Anyway - it's now done 115k, has a thick folder full of stamps and all the invoices, and has never - ever - gone wrong, or required anything other than routine maintenance and tyres. I tell a lie - the bulb blew behind the clock, once. Funny that, because my old '99 Accord did the same thing! 1.8 auto, and a bit juicy on fuel as is the way for these Accords - 35mpg is realistic top whack on a run, more like 25-27 around town.

A very full spec - air, cruise, electric windows/mirrors/roof (why with a/c you'd want a sunroof I don't know, but it was standard...), remote locking, four airbags, ABS. And, of course, it all still works perfectly. I became a father for the first time 3 weeks ago, so the increased boot space over the Fabia comes in useful for the enormous pram/buggy thing (and multiple attachments!) my wife has chosen for our daughter.

My wife seems to like it, too, which is important - prior to her Fabia she was a "Golf girl" (2 Mk2s - including a GTI Campaign that was sadly stolen and burnt - and a Mk3) but I'm happier with her in a Japanese car from a reliability perspective, to be honest.

Future plans include steam cleaning and Waxoyling (be interesting to see if Honda have licked their "usual" rust spot between the rear wheelarch and bumper), wiring up the towbar I put on last week (I doubt it will be used for towing as the 405 TDs are more suitable!), and a full service at 117k, to be done by my fair hands - already stockpiled the relevant OEM service bits, plus a workshop manual on CD-ROM!

Richard
Back to top Go down
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: My wife joins the Bangernomics club!   Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:23 pm

500! Blimey, no wonder the tumbleweed is rolling through the dealerships. That's a great car you have there and really does beg the qustion as to why people buy new. Surely it must only be be vanity?

Kev.
Back to top Go down
James-Founder
Founder
Founder

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Goodness me   Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:03 pm

Golly what a great car. Yes 500 for that at a dealer they do take the P. Got an email today from someone offered 2200 for a 52 plate 318 with 100k miles....J
Back to top Go down
http://bangernomics.editboard.com
r.welfare
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: My wife joins the Bangernomics club!   Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:33 am

I guess it was their way of saying it just wasn't worth the hassle - it would go straight out to auction because of it's age and condition, and no-one in their right mind would buy it for retail as it needs too much rectification (which I am carrying out with a 3.49 aerosol, but there you are!).

I don't understand buying a new car either - I've had one (company car) and it smelled nice but the tax bill was astronomical - but it's my dad wanted and he has the money...and I'm obviously happy with getting the Accord! OK, so it stands me at about 410 so far (4 new Goodyears and a battery) but hopefully will last a long time.

These 98-03 models are really getting down to the banger end of the market, I suppose it had to happen and obviously a similar-age Vectra, Mondeo, Xantia etc is the same money or less, but to me they still represent an awful lot of motor for the dosh. And, of course, this could have been the basis for a replacement Rover 600 had BMW not bought them...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My wife joins the Bangernomics club!   

Back to top Go down

My wife joins the Bangernomics club!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1