View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Chirpy Chirpy Jeep Jeep!   Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:13 pm

Hi Guys, I know I haven't posted on here for a while but I've just spent the last 3 months renovating the garden. Not my scene really but it had to be done.

I'm currently smoking a very black and bling-looking late 1997 facelift Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0 litre (I know). This 4x4 has an astonishing spec level, in fact I couldn't find much that doesn't have an electric motor on it, and the surge of power allied to its refinement makes it a very nice drive. With only 112k, a full Jeep service history and 2 owners from new I'd like to think I can find it a sympathetic home.

But the most astonishing thing is how little these things are worth. I know it's big but you can squeeze 25mpg from it and it looks reasonably modern, and yet you can have all this for the price of a few weeks/months depreciation on a new car, which would easily make the Jeep cheaper to run over the next few years than a new. By the way, it's priced at 1195.

I've had a couple of enquiries about it but both were concerned about the new VED rates to be inflicted by the Government. Unfortunately, after going into great detail about the new VED rates and explaining the fact that the new rates only affect post 2001 vehicles, it didn't sway these two punters and I lost the sale.

It would seem that the Government has created a mass of confusion about the new VED proposals and people are holding off buying big cars until things become clear. Thanks a lot Darling!

I think most motorists can partially absorb fuel costs, but hefty tax hikes sends them reaching for the Luger in the bottom draw, making cars that were once easily attainable become an impossible dream.

Kev.
Back to top Go down
anewman
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Chirpy Chirpy Jeep Jeep!   Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:22 pm

I think it's great that the Government made the oversight of pre-2001 vehicles - for bangernomics anyway as most people (including our wonderful politicians) probably cannot deal with anything older than 3 years old.

I seriously doubt the old system will change as they'll expect that one to become obsolete, and besides they can't retrospectively assess the Co2 output levels of all the pre-2001 cars and band and tax them accordingly.
Back to top Go down
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Chirpy Chirpy Jeep Jeep!   Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:36 pm

No, but they can still price us off the road, and they're having a bloody good go at it already!

Kev.
Back to top Go down
anewman
Junior
Junior

Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Chirpy Chirpy Jeep Jeep!   Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:40 pm

Yes, Ill be betting that cancelled 2p a litre rise is quietly back on the cards with an extra 2p on top Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
r.welfare
Junior
Junior

Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Chirpy Chirpy Jeep Jeep!   Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:26 pm

This Grand Cherokee sounds exceptionally good value if the prospective buyer needs the offroad/towing potential - slam it full of Waxoyl to make it last forever, and LPG it if 25mpg becomes too much of an issue; I know I would!

You can't sell big cars at the moment - but you can't sell small cars either it seems; I really had to sweat (2 days of "retail prep", a meticulously crafted ad on eBay and Gumtree, then 10 days of telephone tyrekickers and no-showers) to get 1,800 for my wife's 2001/51 Fabia 1.4 16V 2 weeks ago; that was for a car in excellent condition, 88k but a fuller-than-FSH (I insist on 3-5k mile oil changes), ice cold air and a full MOT. It's also under the Glass's trade-in price, but that's all it is worth in a private sale Rolling Eyes

Incidentally I was at a small independent earlier today helping a friend of my wife to buy a 52-plate Golf SE TDI (nice car, but I'd have the cheaper Bora or actually an Octavia myself - I'm not stylish, me!) and he said that business is totally dead (he rolled over a fair bit on the price and "extras", which was unexpected!). There's going to be a lot of decent, 2001-2003 big engined non-prestige tackle (V6 Mondeos, Vectras, Omegas etc) going begging (or even cubed!) when the full implication of these tax changes take root with the buying public.
Back to top Go down
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Chirpy Chirpy Jeep Jeep!   Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:21 pm

Well, believe it or not I sold the Jeep today. Only got 1100 for it but it's taken less than two weeks to shift it. When people wave the folding at you it's difficult to say no! I also have a 2002 Saxo 1.1 Desire for sale, 55k, 1995, but that's hanging around like a bad smell (since June, actually). It's just so difficult to judge what's hot and what's not these days.

Kev.
Back to top Go down
r.welfare
Junior
Junior

Registration date : 2008-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Chirpy Chirpy Jeep Jeep!   Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:37 am

Well done on the sale! It's odd what is "fashionable" and what isn't - it seems to me that credit is still relatively easily available, and folk would rather continue a long run of monthly payments than sell up and buy something for cash. But, you'd think that a Saxo like that would be snapped up by a new driver, wouldn't you?

For me, it was particularly surprising how much less our Fabia was worth than an equivalent Polo which is fundamentally the same thing - but then, it was much cheaper to buy in the first place. In 3 years and 64,000 miles I've calculated that the "all in" cost was 18p/mile, and my wife got back most of those miles at 40p for business use, so not all bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chirpy Chirpy Jeep Jeep!   

Back to top Go down

Chirpy Chirpy Jeep Jeep!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1