View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Our Founder James on TV   Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Just been watching a documentary on bbc2 called Das Auto: The Germans,their cars and Us and up popped our Very own founder James Ruppert Thumb

If you missed it check it out on catch up tv :Wky:

Great Programme and if I do say so James was looking rather Dapper:Hat off:

So do the Germans make the best cars?

Deep down id have to say I like my cars either German or Japanese though I do have a preference for German :Co:

Over to you.......

Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Our Founder James on TV   Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:09 am

Well, over the years I have probably owned 40 to 50 cars, two of which were German. A VW Golf GTi Mk2 in the 1980's and the Mercedes C Class I currently have. The fact that I deeply regret selling the Golf in 1990 and that I have owned the current Merc for the last six years speaks volumes!!
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Our Founder James on TV   Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:34 am

Yes sadly I will be selling my Mercedes soon :Cr:

Unfortunately I have been told I need to slow things down for the sake of my health and wellbeing so we have decided to buy a VW camper :Wky:

Probably a cheap wedgy t25 so need to raise funds.

Ill be sad to see the Benz go but in reality I need a recreational vehicle,peace tranquility and lots of fresh air methinks :W:

Notice I am sticking with German though Thumb

Doubt ill be able to do it to Bangernomics budget but there again a Bangernomics camper surely should be a higher price bracket as campers are not cheap so if percentage wise its in the Bangernomics ethos its still a Bangernomics vehicle?

Joloke
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Our Founder James on TV   Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:23 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Our Founder James on TV   Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:48 am

Joloke wrote:

Probably a cheap wedgy t25 so need to raise funds.

Hmmm..... cheap and T25 are two words that don't sit comfortably together!!!

My neighbour has a scruffy T25 camper and it still worth upwards of 3k!!!

Since the price of T2's went stratospheric the T25's have started to follow.

If you want something German and leisure type why not have a look for a Mercedes Vito that has been converted into a day van/surf bus? I've been toying with something like that for a while (or an American day van) but need to get rid of some of the other scrap er, cars, first.
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Our Founder James on TV   Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:33 pm

Yeh I know,to be honest we will probably spend around 3k on a Caravelle then do the conversion not Bangernomics I know but on the wider picture a 3k Van is better and more Bangernomicsesque than a 20-30k van :Wky:

geedub
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Our Founder James on TV   Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:16 pm

Haven't seen it yet, but have recorded for watching this evening...

I like German cars, but whilst my all-time favourite car has to be my old A8 (despite the expense of running it), my current Lexus comes a VERY close second - and it's been very reliable. I'll be buying another.

German cars I've had:

Audi A8 (lovely, lovely car, but turned into a money pit).
BMW 5 series (nearly new approved used car - ended up taking the dealer to court to get my money back after it became apparent it was a shed).
Merc W123 230TD diesel estate. Bought new back in the eighties. Was fairly agricultural, if I'm honest, but served the purpose for a long time.
BMW M635 - okay, this was a good 'un. Zero problems. Loved it. Wish I still had it.
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Our Founder James on TV   Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:03 pm

Program is being repeated tonight at 11.20pm on BBC2 :Wky:

edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Our Founder James on TV   Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:17 pm

Re campers, shortly after the time I was shopping for live-in vehicles, they started selling off the Leyland Sherpa based ambulances, I think partly because the whopping great Rover V8 petrol engines in them were a bit too thirsty for the ambulance services.

Very nice vehicles. The quality of the coachwork was far higher than the actual camper vans I'd looked at, and the conversion would have been pretty trivial. If I hadn't already bought something I'd have been very tempted, though insurance with those engines might have been problematic.

I THINK they were generally replaced with Merc-based diesel ambulances, which MIGHT now be old enough to be coming up in disposal sales.

I should point out that Caravan Club sites, for example, are rather Terry and June and won't (or at least wouldn't in the Thatcher era) allow "commercial vehicle conversions" on their sites. Of course nearly all camper van's are " commercial vehicle conversion's", but what they meant was that they didn't like anything that looked New Age Traveller-ish, like my luxurious Renault Dodge BT workshop truck conversion.

An ambulance is almost indistinguishable from a camper so wouldn't require much if any alteration to look "respectable".

Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Our Founder James on TV   Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:34 am

Probably not what you want, but a quick google came up with a few tax exempt Landrover ex-army ambulances for about a grand. Probably need a lot of work, but sort-of-classic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Our Founder James on TV   

Back to top Go down

Our Founder James on TV

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1