View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rakshauk
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: wot? no Omegas?   Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:55 pm

So are there any Omega owners practising bangernomics? The reason I ask is I have a 3 litre lpg converted Elite estate been sitting on my drive sorned for several years. I bought it in 2001 as a 3 year old car for 10k, I loved it, but scared myself silly, so let OH have it while I bought a vectra sri which I also loved, but the bangernomic heart in me dreaded coming back to it and finding it scratched, hence the purchase of the 518i touring for 3k 9 years ago.....

In the mean time the Vauxhall dropped a con rod, second engine turned out to be an ex Vauxhall test engine which we should never have been sold as it was already knackered...so its now on its third engine, 135k, but only 60k on the new engine.

Bodywork is going in all the usual suspects, wheel arches etc....

BUT we can't bring ourselves to part with it. When its running, it goes like the proverbial off a shovel, switch to Sport and she crouches, gathers her skirts and gooooes..

Are we bonkers to want to bring her back to life?
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: wot? no Omegas?   Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:52 pm

Not at all. My late father had one a few years ago. A seriously under rated car in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
RustyOldBanger
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: wot? no Omegas?   Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:22 pm

Surely it's worth giving the old barge the kiss of life if it brings you immense driving pleasure.
To put it another way, would you be able to buy a better car for the money you were planning to spend on the omega ?
I had an omega 2.5TDS a few years ago and enjoyed every minute behind the wheel, plus saved a fortune on running costs by running it on veg oil.
I am ashamed to admit that I swapped it for a frontera with the vague notion of doing some off road driving. Well that never happened, What was I thinking ??

Go on, Save it !

Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: wot? no Omegas?   Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Only if the numbers add up. I've spent money keeping dying cars on the road for sentimental reasons and (with retrospect) regret it. It's hard, but sometimes you gotta let go. I think using whether you could buy a better car with the money spent (as suggested by the previous poster) is a pretty good rule-of-thumb.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: wot? no Omegas?   Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:00 am

Justwatching wrote:
Only if the numbers add up. I've spent money keeping dying cars on the road for sentimental reasons and (with retrospect) regret it. It's hard, but sometimes you gotta let go. I think using whether you could buy a better car with the money spent (as suggested by the previous poster) is a pretty good rule-of-thumb.
But then there's the "devil you know factor" to consider. Essentially there are too many unknowns for anyone to take a rational decision on this, especially remotely, but then it doesn't have to be a rational decision.

A good compromise, if you've got the space, might be to buy another one. Then you can "mine" the old one (appropriately conserved) for spares.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wot? no Omegas?   

Back to top Go down

wot? no Omegas?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bangernomics :: Chat :: Banger chat-