HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | .

The new breed of Classic Enthusiasts and realistic restorations ;)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: The new breed of Classic Enthusiasts and realistic restorations ;)   Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:21 am

Over the years I have been part of many car scenes,new,modified,classic but the one I have enjoyed most is the classic car scene Friends 

Maybe I am wrong but do think things are changing for the better???

I am not for one minute saying one is right and another wrong but for many years Restoration was getting something perfect in fact in some cases so perfect that it was actually better than it left the factory Rolling Eyes 

Just looking around forums in general it appears the tide is turning???

I think Retro Rides has a lot to do with this Thumb 

Don't get me wrong there are still a lot of "Chequebook Restorations" going on but its nice to see people being more resourceful now Thumb 

So you have a classic car the paint is awful you can either spend 2-3k on the paint or £50 on a modern day brush on/roll on enamel :Wky: 

You could loose sleep about having everything just right and period correct or you could have a life and be resourceful and use more modern equivalents that do the job just as well :Wky: 

We restored a Mini a few years ago and the bills were frightening affraid 

We replaced things that didn't need to be replaced it just got out of hand Rolling Eyes 

I now realize having new shiny parts isn't everything and reusing and recycling gives more of a kick :Wky: 

I remember two 1959 Minis at a show alongside each other one had been restored to within an inch of its life the interior was new,carpets new,chrome,paint glass etc etc but these enthusiasts were getting so excited about how perfect the reproduction parts were to the originals but that's the thing they were reproductions the car was false in a way :Cry2: 

the car next to it had been around the clock everything was original the paint was oxidized,there were browned stickers in the window that had been there for 50 years and a Biro handwritten note taped to the boot to remind of the knack of opening the boot using the faulty lock that albeit had been that way for decades :W: 

I loved it Wub 

I saw the words on a reasonably priced classic today "sympetectically restored" and thought yes Clap 

Small rust patches cut out and strong metal let in and blended in with aerosols with skill:Cl: 

But its history of nearly 50 years was still there to me that's real restoration Bow 

I know some here view classics as not Bangernomics motoring but they can be,its amazing some older cars in scrapyards are often in better order than so called restored ones if your in the right place at the right time a classic can be done for banger money if you have the skills to do the work yourself and can discipline yourself to do things on a tight budget Thumb 

I no longer love pristine classics with no expense spared but my love for classics that have lived is growing Wub 

Jodie Smile

Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: The new breed of Classic Enthusiasts and realistic restorations ;)   Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:03 am

Restoration of a classic car almost always takes more time and money than it's logically worth, so I'm not convinced that it's ever going to be a good fit for bangernomics.

I totally agree about original/unrestored cars though. Sit an old Volvo with nearly 500k on the clock next to freshly restored e-type and my attention will be all over the Volvo. There's just something about natural patina that gives a car real veterancy - an authentic quality that reflects the cars survival. When I see a spared-no-expense restoration I just can't relate to it. They look very nice and I'm glad somebody was rich/stupid enough to throw all that money into it to preserve it for the future. It's a lot more skillful and intelligent of the owner to keep a car in running condition, almost indefinitely, through diligent maintenance and care though.
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The new breed of Classic Enthusiasts and realistic restorations ;)   Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:46 am

Justwatching wrote:
Restoration of a classic car almost always takes more time and money than it's

Maybe there needs to be a different term for it then?

Recommissioning??

I see old interesting cars getting a second roll of the dice on a shoestring as stated I think we have Retro Rides to thank for a lot of it?

These guys often bring back cars that the die hard restorers turn their noses up at :W: 

I agree too though I admire the e type jag because there was nothing quite like it at the time it does nothing for me No 

There are some bargains to be had from classic cars so long as you don't look at them as classics,buy them cheap make the safe and get them running right and make do and mend

Ill see if I can find some :Wky:

TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: The new breed of Classic Enthusiasts and realistic restorations ;)   Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:31 pm

I fully understand what your saying here Jode. For example I have restored a 1966 beetle for a lot less than £1000 and that includes the cost of the car which I bought on ebay, but as you quite rightly say you really need to keep your hands out of your wallet and find ways of doing the jobs for next to nothing, I painted this car with a gloss roller and Rustolium paint which cost so little and I have to say it was very rewarding to know I had achieved a new colour for peanuts. This particular Beetle is not in its original state but with a bit of shopping around and a few deals here and there you can turn a classic into a Bangernomics car that will last for many more years and at the same time I maybe lucky enough to sell it at some point and even make a small profit which is more than can be said for a lot of cars these days.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
geedub
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-06-15

PostSubject: Re: The new breed of Classic Enthusiasts and realistic restorations ;)   Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:49 pm

I've never really seen the appeal of 'restored classics' that have gotten so expensively restored that people are afraid to drive 'em.

Yes, it's nice to have a car that looks smart, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has to look like it rolled out of the factory yesterday.

A friend drives a 25 year-old Merc SL that he picked up for less than £5k. It's a nice-looking car, but never been restored. He's repaired one of the leather seats due to a rip and has had the steering wheel retrimmed, but it's still got its original paint (which is a little faded but still quite smart) and he drives it every day. It's a proper classic and has that look of 'slightly faded elegance' that I find so appealing. It has SO much more appeal than any blingy restored SL that someone has spent two whole days detailing and then trailered to a show...

Back to top Go down
MilfordHaven
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-04-29

PostSubject: Re: The new breed of Classic Enthusiasts and realistic restorations ;)   Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:08 pm

geedub wrote:
I've never really seen the appeal of 'restored classics' that have gotten so expensively restored that people are afraid to drive 'em.

Yes, it's nice to have a car that looks smart, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has to look like it rolled out of the factory yesterday.

Couldn't agree with you more about people being to scared to drive them or they are careful where they park etc, however I do see what Tech is saying he has obviously bought this car in need of a bit of work and for what seems to be very little money affraid I don't see anything wrong in this, lets be honest the car is about 47 years old and I dare say it will last perhaps another 47 years so that would be true Bangernomics in my book so long as you don't over spend along the way, Bangernomics is not only about buying cheap but also about keeping the car/item for as long as possible without spending to much on it. Well done Tech. Bow 
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The new breed of Classic Enthusiasts and realistic restorations ;)   Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:30 pm

geedub wrote:

A friend drives a 25 year-old Merc SL that he picked up for less than £5k. It's a nice-looking car, but never been restored. He's repaired one of the leather seats due to a rip and has had the steering wheel retrimmed, but it's still got its original paint (which is a little faded but still quite smart) and he drives it every day. It's a proper classic and has that look of 'slightly faded elegance' that I find so appealing. It has SO much more appeal than any blingy restored SL that someone has spent two whole days detailing and then trailered to a show...

Yes your right there geedub Thumb 

That's what I am talking about,restored cars that people are too scared to use :Pr: 

I don't see older cars as classics as such,just more interesting bounce 

When I was in the Mini scene there was an awful lot of cars trailered to shows Headbang 

Colins Beetle shows you can restore and make a car look good without spending a lot :W: 

There is a misconception that if you have a beat up banger you cant make it look tidy Rolling Eyes 

I disagree Rolling Eyes 

Rustoleum can be had for around £30 or £50ish if you want a custom colour mixed and subject to belief it'll be all orange peel effect well it is LRM 

Seriously you can either leave it like that if you want tidy low maintenance paint or wetsand,repeat etc until no peel  remains and buff a high gloss back in cheers 

My Merc isn't perfect its got loads of stone chips,one day ill touch them in and wet flat and buff the car and they will be history :Wky: 

The lower cladding on it has inconstancy in the shade so one day ill repaint it with aerosols it wont be going to a bodyshop :No: 

I see other 190's one recently up for nearly £6k with just 40k on the clock,but if it was mine id be too scared to drive it and you know what.....................

My 153k £1200 example is just as good just needs a little TLC here and there but im not afraid to use it:Winky: 

The essence in a Bangernomics classic or future classic is buy low and repair,reuse give it your free time TLC and elbow grease but don't "restore" it as such

That is what eats credit cards Friends Friends affraid

Joloke
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The new breed of Classic Enthusiasts and realistic restorations ;)   Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:33 pm

TechSupport wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hmmm I heard the base coat was expertly laid down by a lady in ill fitting overalls lm 

For the life of me I cant remember her name??????

TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: The new breed of Classic Enthusiasts and realistic restorations ;)   Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:40 pm

Joloke wrote:
Hmmm I heard the base coat was expertly laid down by a lady in ill fitting overalls lm 
For the life of me I cant remember her name??????

No comment :Hus: Seenothing 

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The new breed of Classic Enthusiasts and realistic restorations ;)   

Back to top Go down

The new breed of Classic Enthusiasts and realistic restorations ;)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1