View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: How "generic" are brake hoses?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:11 pm

One of mine looks dodgy (deep crack, no swelling or leakage yet) so it'll need replaced.

Since Daihatsu Skywing (same as G10 Charade) parts are hard to find (dealer can't be arsed and there aren't many cars in the scrappies) I'm wondering what my chances are of pulling something that'll fit off another car.

"Logically" I can't see any reason they couldn't all be identical (OK, except French ones) except for length, but I'll bet its not like that in reality.

According to this site:-

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

front hoses can be either 267 or 244 mm so it would seem exact length isn't that critical
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: How "generic" are brake hoses?   Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Couple of cm in length won't matter (must be longer not shorter though!). Connection type/diameter would be more important. Must say I've never heard of a Skywing. When you say it's the same as a G10 Charade, do you mean it's the same car with a different badge or is it just similar, sharing many components?
Back to top Go down
stereosound
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Re: How "generic" are brake hoses?   Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:52 pm

Justwatching wrote:
When you say it's the same as a G10 Charade, do you mean it's the same car with a different badge or is it just similar, sharing many components?

Its a Charade with a Large Bottom lm 

Charade

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Skywing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: How "generic" are brake hoses?   Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:56 pm

Yeh, that's it. Mine has a bit less paint, though, and no rear spoiler. That'll be why I never win drag races with rice rockets.

Its mechanically identical to the CHARADE, AFAIK.

I've found some small differences from what it says in my engine manuals, (eg oil-pump bolt type) but I've only got the CB20 and CB23 manuals, and my engine is, according to the handbook, a CB22.

Dunno how that differs, if at all.

I'd guess scrap Toyota's might be a good place to look for compatible brake hoses.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: How "generic" are brake hoses?   Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:11 am

May be academic anyway. Looks like I've lost the reg document. This'll mean I have to get the car inspected at a GOVERNMENT test centre, (as opposed to a private garage) and they, by all accounts, are hostile to old cars.

They probably wouldn't spot the brake hose (hostile doesn't equal thorough) but I wouldn't be surprised if they fail it for not having any carpets, which I've also, er...lost.
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: How "generic" are brake hoses?   Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:24 am

I've been taking my bangers to council test centres for the last few years and had no issues at all. Don't think I'd ever take my car back to a private garage.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: How "generic" are brake hoses?   Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:59 am

Justwatching wrote:
I've been taking my bangers to council test centres for the last few years and had no issues at all. Don't think I'd ever take my car back to a private garage.

Yeh, I used London Borough of Enfield latterly in the UK (no commercial interest in failing you) but its different here in Taiwan, and its widely believed that its very difficult to get old cars through the govt centres.

I wasn’t therefore optimistic. National (as opposed to local) governments generally are hostile to old cars, and I thought the DMV guys might therefore be hostile too. I had no real idea on braking efficiency/balance (seemed to stop ok) or emissions (plugs look about right) and accordingly had made no attempt to tune down or fake the latter.

In fact, they seemed to find it an amusing novelty.

I turned up with my gf, and, while waiting in the queue, she apparently gave them a shameless sob-story about me being a poor hard working dedicated teacher and we were leaving for Australia next week (steerage, naturally – well Air Asia which is about equivalent) and if it failed I’d be depressed and suicidal and, since I came from Scotland, I might turn violent-drunk and drive her and the starving weans out into the snow.

Mostly true of course, but in the Yook one maintains a stiff upper lip about that kind of thing.

Anyway, it seemed that the DMV guys needed to see the right numbers on their gizmo’s, but I got the impression that getting them could be heavily influenced by driver technique, which is a bit surprising if true.

With the DMV guys on-side, I got lots of directions on how to work the brake pedal (I think maybe a sharp jab maximizes the transient braking force recorded, though I was in WTF? mode at the time.)

For the emissions test I was getting simulcast contradictory broken Chinglish/Mandarin instructions on throttle control from DMV minder (left ear) and gf (right ear) and I’m afraid I lost it a bit and started to giggle uncontrollably.

At that point the DMV guys suggested I take it for a run to get it warmed up (and me calmed down, presumably) and come back for another try, which I did, scaring the gf because, although I couldn’t drive fast in the centre of Tainan City, I kept the revs high which “sounds scary”.

A bit before return I gave the car a quick “stage-one eco-tune”, ie I removed the air cleaner and hid it under the seat. Dunno how effective that was.

2nd try a DMV guy took it through (this is standard at the private test centre I usually go to) and was able to coax acceptable numbers from it.

So you CAN get an 80’s car through an “official” (sort of) Taiwan govt test, but it helps if you have the knack, and/or take a girl or two with you.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: How "generic" are brake hoses?   Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:46 am

Not very bangernomic, but I ended up getting a new brake hose. Was invited to dinner by an ex student who's a big cheese in [insert major non-Daihatsu car brand here] Taiwan, and he asked "Hows that ("ridiculously"probabl implied but not said, out of courtesy) old car of yours", and I mentioned the brakes.

Couple of days later I get a call from his daughter telling me to pick up the hose, I assumed from the nearest dealership, where I used to get my Sierra parts.

Go down there and get the usual slightly amused brush off, though a lot politer than Chiswick Honda used to be about my 550cc Acty Van.

I explain the order might have come from Mr K___.

"You mean OUR Mr K____, The President of [Big Short Name] Taiwan" ses the suit

"Yes. Nice guy" ses I..

Bit of fast phone action and I'm the happy holder of a shiny new brake hose. Ses G11 on it but it'll probably fit. I'll know when I get back from Australia.

It not what you know....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How "generic" are brake hoses?   

Back to top Go down

How "generic" are brake hoses?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1