HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | .

Diesel fuel and exhaust system cleaning advice???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Diesel fuel and exhaust system cleaning advice???   Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:39 pm

My partners car (not a Bangernomics car I am afraid Embarassed†) is becoming a bit of a chain smoker LRM

The Particulate filter keeps getting clogged but I also think the fuel system and exhaust system need a good clean in general Rolling Eyes

Car in question is a 2008 Mini Cooper D using a PSA engine :Wky:

The particulate light has been coming on so we have just taken it on a long blast but we would like to use a suitable treatment for particulate cleaning plus injector cleaner and cat cleaner

Only thing is there are so many on the market we haven't got a clue which one to choose???

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Just to add the car was leased pre (coming to our Bangernomics senses) and will be going at the end of its lease but we are still responsible for it until the end of the year and its due an MOT Sad

Help!!!!

Jodie Smile

Ant
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Diesel fuel and exhaust system cleaning advice???   Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:37 pm

Try some injector cleaner
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Diesel fuel and exhaust system cleaning advice???   Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:21 pm

Unfortunately the diesel Mini has a bit of a reputation for blocking its DPF. †If the deposits won't burn off then its normally a case of replacing the filter. †In which case there is no harm in trying to clean it via another method such as a fuel system cleaning additive!!

However, be very careful with the additive you use as common rail diesel engine fuel systems are VERY delicate. †Make sure whatever product you choose is suitable for modern electronic diesels. Its one thing to have to replace the DPF but if you terminally damage the HP pump it could write off the car on repair costs. Some of these pumps cost £5k to replace!!
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Diesel fuel and exhaust system cleaning advice???   Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:13 am

Father Tiresias wrote:
Unfortunately the diesel Mini has a bit of a reputation for blocking its DPF. †If the deposits won't burn off then its normally a case of replacing the filter. †In which case there is no harm in trying to clean it via another method such as a fuel system cleaning additive!!

However, be very careful with the additive you use as common rail diesel engine fuel systems are VERY delicate. †Make sure whatever product you choose is suitable for modern electronic diesels. Its one thing to have to replace the DPF but if you terminally damage the HP pump it could write off the car on repair costs. †Some of these pumps cost £5k to replace!!
Thanks for the advice

Yes were not very impressed with Mini TBH,I had one brand new as a lease car in the past before I came to my senses and it spent the first 6 weeks of its life with the dealers because of software issues Rolling Eyes

Once the lease is over we will be walking away from the brand :W:

As they say Close but no Cigar :grm:

Their products look the biz on the outside but appear to be in the spirit of BL in their Soul

Ie just knocked together Speak no evil

Joloke
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Diesel fuel and exhaust system cleaning advice???   Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:11 am

Following on from this.....

We ran some diesel injector cleaner through the system which pepped it up a little but its still belching out a little Smoke Headbang

The car is due its final MOT with us before we can hand it back so we would like to remedy this :W:

On a recent visit to Bangernomics own Tech Advisor he removed the air box and cleaned it out only to find quite a dirty turbo Seenothing

It doesn't appear to be leaking or have any bearing issues i think its just dirty from picking up deposits Rolling Eyes

We plan on Running Cataclean through the system prior to MOT and a little more injector cleaner but would also like to know it there's such a thing as Turbo cleaner?

I don't really want to remove the turbo for cleaning due to everything that has to be removed but was wondering if there's a spray that can be introduced into the air intakes that will dissolve the build up on the turbo ?

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks Very Happy

Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Diesel fuel and exhaust system cleaning advice???   Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:32 am

Turbo's usually are dirty!! †The crank case ventilation system normally recirculates back through the inlet so oil vapour is passed back into the air path of the turbocharger. †Unless oil is absolutely dripping out of the turbo it is not a problem and is completely normal. Cleaning it is a bit pointless as the build up will occur again in no time at all.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Diesel fuel and exhaust system cleaning advice???   Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:39 am

Maybe you could fit one or more catch cans in the EGR path, to reduce the amount of crud recycled?

I've seen them for sale at a car show here, very bling blue anodised billet aluminium, but in principle I dont think there's much to them. You could probably make one with a beer can and some wire mesh.

OK, probably not for a leased Bimini, but if it was a turbo banger (dodgy combo?), you might feel like fiddling with it.

As I understand it, turbo'd cars tend to put more crap through the EGR circuit, I suppose because the boost pressure increases leakage/blowby past the rings.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Diesel fuel and exhaust system cleaning advice???   Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:07 pm

Damn! Missed the edit window.

I meant CCV (crank case ventilation) not EGR (exhaust gas recirculation).
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Diesel fuel and exhaust system cleaning advice???   Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:16 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Discussion of catch cans on bobistheoilguy, where be oil geeks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diesel fuel and exhaust system cleaning advice???   

Back to top Go down

Diesel fuel and exhaust system cleaning advice???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1