AuthorMessage
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: My cars - past and present   Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:41 pm

Thought I'd share some pics of my retro rides :Wky:

Your first car is always special, huh. This was mine. Kept it 7 years, though it was only on the road for two of those. Still, the longest I've held onto a car.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Never again...

Drove this whilst at college. Really great run-about. Never missed a beat, even in the depths of winter. Unfortunately, got broken for spares by the person I sold it to (even though it had tax, MoT and nothing wrong with it!).

We all have a car we kinda miss - this is mine.

Loved this car...at first. It's reputation preceded it - something broke on a weekly basis. Eventually I gave up fixing it.

What a handy one this has been! Had it almost a year and it's given me very little trouble considering what I paid for it. It might be surplus to requirement in a few months, but I'm going to try holding on to it.

Recent purchase and a real keeper too. This is quickly becoming one of my favourite bangers!

Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: My cars - past and present   Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:58 am

Great line up of cars :Co:

We have something in common as my first car was a Capri Thumb

Mine was a mk1 though.

I can understand the w123 you missing it,I really want a camper van and keep thinking of selling my w201 to help the cause but deep down id rather squirrel it away and keep it rather than sell it as I know I would regret it if I did sell it on :Cry2:

Those Protons seem to have quite a following,OK they were out of date when launched but they do appear to be a good reliable no nonscence car Thumb

Have to say though the two that tug at my heartstrings have to be the Capri and Mercedes Bow

Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: My cars - past and present   Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:09 am

That's actually one of the things I like about the old Protons - 80's style in a younger 90's car. Perfect!

Bought the Mercedes off some nonce who had totally neglected it (yet claimed to be a mechanic!) Headbang

I'd have W123 again any day, but they're a bit pricey. Well, on a bangernomics budget anyway.

Thought you drove a W124?
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: My cars - past and present   Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:08 pm

The XJS looks very clean. What was the matter with it or was it just horrendous economy?
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: My cars - past and present   Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Not all that glistens is gold - the XJS taught me this. Sure, the fuel economy was shocking. But I knew that before buying, so that's not why I hold a grudge against it. The reason I feel sick at the sight of this particular car is the money it cost me. Electric windows packed up; central locking had a mind of its own which toward the end of my ownership resulted in the drivers door being permanently locked; alarm would go off during the night for no reason; electrical drain of unknown origin killed the battery; starter motor broke; clutch failed; boot leaked; the list goes on and each failure would happen almost immediately after the other. It was a full-time job trying to keep it in running order. Don't even get me started on the rust! The body work was okay, but underneath there was hardly any chassis left! Per mile of travel, it's probably the most expensive car I've ever owned.
Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: My cars - past and present   Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:45 pm

Ah yes, a prime example of quality British design, engineering and build quality!! Can't think why the Germans virtually owned the executive car market for twenty years when we had marques like Jaguar and Rover!!
Back to top Go down
geedub
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-06-15

PostSubject: Re: My cars - past and present   Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:52 pm

I miss my W123 too - although mine was far from being a banger as I bought it ex-demonstration! I put over 150k miles on that thing before I sold it..
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: My cars - past and present   Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:52 am

Just reading back through this and had to laugh at my comment back in 2010,I did indeed buy A camper van and it was the biggest piece of shizzle Ihave ever owned! Wish I had kept the Benz :Cr:

That said I now have another Benz Thumb

Those Proton's are actually based on an old Mitsubishi Lancer from the early 80's it is basically a lancer Wink

Look Familiar?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

a friend of my brother had one in the early 90's put a couple of hundred thousand on it with no issues and just changed consumables and oil Thumb

Fifth Gear even did a banger test on them and Presenter Tim Shaw had to drive one for a week instead of his 50k BMW by the end of the week he was quite attached to it Wub

Enjoy.................................

Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: My cars - past and present   Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:37 pm

R.I.P Proton Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My cars - past and present   

Back to top Go down