AuthorMessage
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: A Frenchie and German together...   Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi Folks,

Haven't been on for a while, really busy with work, moving house etc, has kind of taken up most of my time!

However I've still had time to have a tinker with cars and in the process acquire some new toys lol!

I've still got my trusty, 1984 (B) Mercedes 190E 2.0 Auto - still off the road however, but I've managed to get it running again and currently in the process of sorting the rear brakes, once that is sorted it will be balljoints up front, new tyres and then in for its MOT. Then it will be back on the road as, errr, well a third car now not second!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Some of you may remember by D reg BMW 318i Auto which I had earlier this year, in a moment of madness I sold it because I was blinded by some pound notes, unfortunately I deeply regret the sale and the S-Type Jag I replaced it with didn't hit the spot. With the Mercedes being off the road at the moment as well, it meant a distinct lack of retro metal in my life, so I decided that had to change. I didn't particularly want to buy something to use as a daily (which is what my E30 was used for), instead deciding to use it as a second car, on classic insurance with a limited mileage - this would broadly expand the range of cars I could realistically buy, as running the 3.0 petrol Jag around did confirm that I do too many miles on a day to day basis to run a thirsty petrol as my main car.

So, after a look around the internet and identifying a car, I Umm'd and Ahh'd over it then decided that I would just go for it - I've always wanted one, and it is one of the first cars I have memories of - First being the 2 MK5 Cortina's my dad had and then one of this which he replaced both of them with:

Yes, it is another BMW - a 1983, E23 728i Automatic... I love it!!

Got it for what I thought was a reasonable price (a fair chunk below 1000), MOT December 2013, Tax November 2013. Has some history with it, is generally in really good condition throughout and is solid, although there is some damage on the O/S/R (pictured) which was accounted for in the price I paid and will be sorted quick sharp.

There are some minor mechanical woes to sort out first though, which I've already started getting on with!

So, that was one car sorted. However it still did not sort the dilemma of needing a daily driver. So, after a hunt on eBay, using my typical bangernomics 'want for nothing' approach, I whacked an early bid in on a cheap as chips motor that was local, with MOT until January 2014. I won the auction at 220.

Picked it up last week, with a weeks tax on it I've ran it around, shelled out 120 odd quid for 6 months tax today and then another 40 at my local scrappy for 2 part worn tyres (both with excellent tread) and an aerial seeing as mine is missing. Chucked in a CD player I had lying around and I'm a happy bunny with my new daily. It's a 1.6 so pretty frugal (put 30 in last week done about 220 miles and it still has a small amount left). Plan is to run it until its MOT, I'm not convinced it will get through its next one without a few quid spending, how much depends on the fate of the car. It needs a full exhaust system at least, if I can get it back on the road for a further year for say 250 it will be a keeper, if not I will weigh it in and move on...

There you go folks, the last 3 months in pictures! Cheers
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: A Frenchie and German together...   Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:03 pm

Very nice BMW! High mileage veteran or barely broken in?

It's a shame the S-Type didn't do it for you. A lot of car for little money - seems like an ideal luxobarge. Anything that disappointed you in particular, other than the fuel poor fuel economy?
Back to top Go down
D7
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: A Frenchie and German together...   Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:15 pm

Its low mileage for its age really - the odometer didn't working for about a year or so according to the previous owner and old MOT's - previous owner only used the car ad hoc and estimates around 100k is the true mileage - it all works now but obviously reads marginally lower (90 odd thousand).

As for the S-Type, it was OK but I found the interior a bit flimsy if I'm honest - the controls just felt cheap and as though they would just come away in your hand. Shame really, it drove superbly and the engine was fantastic. Big fan of the way they look too.
Back to top Go down
geedub
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-06-15

PostSubject: Re: A Frenchie and German together...   Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:41 pm

Love the 7-series. Wouldn't mind one myself one of these days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Frenchie and German together...   

Back to top Go down

A Frenchie and German together...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1