View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Does Deutsche Doom Loom?   Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:26 am

There's a generally high opinion of German cars in the UK, an opinion I vaguely shared, without having any personal experience of them.

I'd guess its largely based on the legendary reliability/longevity of the original VW Beetle, and the build quality of mid 80's Mercs and Volkswagens.

Since coming here I've become aware of some reported general issues with more recent German cars. Its possible that some of these are down to the harsh conditions here (heat and sunlight, poor maintenance, high parts prices) and might not apply in the UK, but it also seems possible that Taiwan could function as an "accelerated ageing" treatment, and provide an early warning of likely problems in the UK.

If so, future German banger buyers should beware.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Does Deutsche Doom Loom?   Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:59 am

Interesting videos though I do wonder if this has something to do with climate? Ive had several VW's without an issues in fact several German cars and generally the plastics are very good indeed Thumb 

I say generally as the air vent surround on my Benz started to crack recently though I have repaired it now and I am more than happy with the repair Thumb 

But after 150k and 21 years of motoring you cant really grumble :Co: 

I wont argue concerning plastic water pumps though as I know newer BMW's use these too and they are known to explode affraid 

Older German cars tend not to have these issues though,I think rather than being a German car issue its more of a things are being produced to a cost these days and that's why things are failing Rolling Eyes 

As you say the German cars of the 80's and early 90,s are the ones to go for when they were quite literally road going tanks:Winky: 

I do get a feeling though the guy who uploaded those videos just doesn't like anything German Rolling Eyes 

I bet if you gave him a Bratwurst he would claim its build quality was poor and it was too difficult to eat LRM LRM LRM 

I think opinions from all around the globe are needed before deciding if German cars of that area are a disaster waiting to happen or maybe just not a wise buy dependent on the country the car resides in :W: 

Thanks for linking the videos though,certainly food for thought :Wky:

edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Does Deutsche Doom Loom?   Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:05 pm

I think the plastics issue is fairly recent, and is down to the use of "environmentally friendly" materials, though I dunno if this is done to meet some German regulations, or just corporate policy. I'd guess the former.

These plastics break down in service in Taiwan. I'd guess they are designed to break down, but after the intended service life of the car, so perhaps it won't be an issue for most European owners.

It might be an issue for banger owners, though, since they are likely to be keeping the car beyond its intended service life.

A "conspiracy theory" interpretation might be that this is planned obsolescence with an "environmental" fig leaf, not too far fetched if one considers, for example, the rather blatant British govt scrappage-of-shame-scheme.

Jamie does have a general downer on (newish) German cars, but I can't really write it off as simple predjudice, since, as a pro, he's in a pretty good position to know what he's talking about, and his opinion is matched by many foreigners reported experience here.

As well as the plastics issue, he reckons they're badly designed for maintenance, overcomplex (this wouldn't bother lots of owners but I'd expect it to bother bangernauts,) the sumps are too small and the service intervals wildly optimistic.

He's been complementary about Porsches in general, and he says in one of the vids that he'd much rather have a 50 year old Beetle than a new one, so I don't think its a general anti-German bias.

I think it does suggest, though, that German cars in particular may not be as good bangers as they have been in the past.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Deutsche Doom Loom?   

Back to top Go down

Does Deutsche Doom Loom?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1