View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Labour saving detailing on a budget?   Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:21 pm

Ive been into detailing for a while now but as I get older and my health dictates I cant detail quite how I would like to I have started to think of alternative way to achieve safe detailing without it being so labour intensive Rolling Eyes 

I know some members think detailing a Banger is nuts but I see it like this if you buy a nice banger why not take care of it Thumb 

Anyway for quite some time I have been using the two bucket method for washing and always use microfiber wash mits:Winky: 

Where we live its difficult to get a hose pipe to your car though I have tried to use a pressure washer with various tap adaptors to varying success rates:roll: 

So generally I have used buckets wash mits and done everything by hand which is both exhausting and back breaking :Cry2: 

So with this in mind we have been going to the jet wash at the local supermarket but you have to be quick and again it can be tiring Sleep 

My thoughts are now can I pressure wash at home without needing a power supply or mains water supply?

And can I agitate the suds without having to bend or struggle?

Ive noted that Clas Ohlson do microfiber mops similar to wash mits on a pole :Wky: 

So all I need now is a pressure washer I don't need to connect to a mains water supply and means to dry the car without scratching it or breaking my back

Id be grateful for thoughts and ideas???

What I am looking for is an efficient almost mechanized approach to washing the vehicle safely without introducing scratches that its tiring or time consuming......

Over to you guys

Jodie Smile

Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Labour saving detailing on a budget?   Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Waterless, semi-waterless and self-drying cleaners all require less effort and take less time compared with conventional stuff. The first two claim to be better for the environment, too. Examples below;

Triplewax Liquid Gold (self-drying) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

AutoExpress review of a few different waterless cleaners [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Washdrops (semi-waterless) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Currently I'm using Washdrops (found it cheap at my local autofactors). It does a perfectly good job (nothing mind blowing) and does away with the need for a hose. I've also used Triplewax Liquid Gold, which worked okay, too. Might venture into fully waterless cleaners once my Washdrops supply runs out.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Labour saving detailing on a budget?   Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:32 pm

I can usually park under the window of my university dorm room. I have a watering can, so sometimes I use my washing water (I generally wash using a bucket, rinsing clothes at the same time) to give the car a quick medium altitude water bombing.

The room is about 30 metres up, so, if v= SQRT(2gh) taking g as 10m/sec squared, the water stream is travelling at about 25m/sec when it hits the car's roof. (or not, its a long time since I did this kind of sum).

I couldn't find a comparable figure for pressure washer velocity. I'd guess it'd be a bit faster. If I wanted more velocity I could go up on the building roof, but I can't be bothered with that.

The soapy water and body grease probably neutralises acids, gives the car some water repellancy, and makes me feel at one with my vehicle, Zen and the art of car cleaning stylee.

It does make the windscreen a bit streaky, though.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Labour saving detailing on a budget?   Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:13 am

Many many years ago I found an old (naturally, was probably WWII Civil Defence issue) stirrup pump in a river (The Water of Leith near Dean Village, for those that know Edinburgh).

Dunno how long it had been in there, maybe since the war. The rubberised hose attached to it was rotten, but the pump body was mostly brass, and looked intact.

It worked! Delivering what seemed to be quite a high pressure jet.

Here's the sad/stupid part. Given its age and origin, I thought I should strip and clean it. It didn't seem to be built for disassembly and I broke it in the attempt, an early "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." lesson that has been repeated many times since.

If you could get hold of one of these I think it might be quite useful for washing out wheel arches and such.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Labour saving detailing on a budget?   Today at 12:00 pm

Back to top Go down

Labour saving detailing on a budget?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1