View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Service parts - get what you pay for?   Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:53 pm

Not sure how old the water pump/thermostat/cambelt/tensioner is on my Proton, so I've decided to err on the side of caution and change them as I plan on keeping the car a while (I'm sure I say that every time I buy a car). It's a Mitsubishi Lancer engine/gearbox but my local dealer was no help sourcing the parts (shocker). I'm okay with aftermarket parts so long as they're decent quality. Thing is, the water pumps I'm finding are cheap and by brands I've never heard of. Should I be concerned? If you've ever done a water pump on the cheap I'd love to know how it went and how long it lasted!
Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Service parts - get what you pay for?   Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:08 am

I get my parts from GSF and never had any problems with anything, saying that I have also used reputable ebay sellers and the same applies.:Co:

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Service parts - get what you pay for?   Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:38 am

I have used this seller in the past and always been happy [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Service parts - get what you pay for?   Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:55 am

TechSupport wrote:
I get my parts from GSF and never had any problems with anything, saying that I have also used reputable ebay sellers and the same applies.:Co:

Same - I've used GSF several times with no issues. Unfortunately, they have next to no parts for my car :Cr:
Back to top Go down
Justwatching
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Service parts - get what you pay for?   Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:56 am

Ant wrote:
I have used this seller in the past and always been happy [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Not so much the sellers I'm worried about but the parts themselves
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Service parts - get what you pay for?   Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:33 am

I've usually used genuine OEM parts from genuine OEM cars, usually in scrapyards but occaisionally abandoned on wasteland (there may theoretically be legal issues with that, and one has to be quick before they get torched.)

Never had a problem, and since the parts are invariably younger than the car I'm putting them on, I wouldn't particularly expect or worry about one.

Same argument could be applied to pattern parts.

Scrap waterpump/radiator lasted until a "hostile" MOT inspection/Tax disk expiry coincided with an MSc dissertation deadline, causing the car to be towed. I think that was about three years, which of course, proves nothing.

I don't think you can really assess component reliability from a few items of anecdotal evidence.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Service parts - get what you pay for?   

Back to top Go down

Service parts - get what you pay for?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1