View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Somnophore
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-06-08

PostSubject: New to bangernonics   Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:06 pm

Im a bit of a car geek and have always been interested in them but never really owned anything interesting. I'm just about to change jobs and want to buy a bangernomics car, not sure how to start though

I'm probably too picky in what I get for this lark, I guess basic bangernomics is get something £300-400 and get as much out of it at possible but I'd prefer spend a little more and get something solid still sub 1k

I've seen good things about volvo 740s, I like the classic was of them any other ideas?
Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: New to bangernonics   Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:56 am

What people spend on Bangernomics as far as a car is concerned is a discussion that could go on for ages, there are those who prefer to buy something for £300-£400 and are not to worried about how it looks or even if its comfortable, but then for me I would rather spend more and get a whole lot more out of it. I can't comment on Volvo's but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along and give you more advice.Very Happy

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
beefybake
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: New to bangernonics   Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:47 am

Agree with Tech here but just to add I think we also need to take into account earnings and the region we live in which as we all know will make a big difference so I think your right to step outside the so called accepted 3 to 4 hundred mark, you need to spend what you believe is right for you and if you can buy a car that costs a little more or even a £1000 more but know in your mind that you will get many years from if without breaking the bank then why not.
Back to top Go down
Wrench
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2007-06-04

PostSubject: Re: New to bangernonics   Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:00 am

Not sure if anyone can choose a car for you I think you will need to perhaps provide us with your wish list and then some of us will give you our thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Somnophore
Infant
Infant

PostSubject: Re: New to bangernonics   Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:08 pm

I want something very solid and reliable, reasonably quick but not ruinous on insurance 28 no NCB as been driving fleet cars. 

Cars considered interesting on pistonheads and I've thought about

850 T5
S40 T4
Nissan Primera GT
Nissan Almera GTi
740 turbo 
Jeep grand Cherokee 4.0 LPG converted 
Merc 190 or similar
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: New to bangernonics   Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:51 pm

Somnophore wrote:
I want something very solid and reliable, reasonably quick but not ruinous on insurance 28 no NCB as been driving fleet cars. 

Cars considered interesting on pistonheads and I've thought about

850 T5
S40 T4
Nissan Primera GT
Nissan Almera GTi
740 turbo 
Jeep grand Cherokee 4.0 LPG converted 
Merc 190 or similar

Just an observation but if its your first car your insuring personally a smaller engined car may be a better option.

I too have been driving fleet cars for over a decade and in essence my Mercedes 190d was the first car in my own name i have insured for something like 14 years affraid

In this sort of situation you are best ringing around for quotes as my insurance for that started online upwards of £500 Shocked

When I rang around and told the insurance companies why I had no NBC many were accommodating and soon settled on my current policy for just £200 for both myself and partner unlimited mileage Thumb

It will help if you have access to another car,as I have access to another car (my partners car) that helped as did joining the Mercedes Benz Club UK which meant £87 saving on the insurance even with the yearly subs came out £50 better off and get lots of club benefits too :Wky: 

If you can get a decent insurance quote I can highly recommend either anything VAG or any Mercedes Benz W201,124,126 chassis and earlier Thumb

With Volvo's I cannot comment but id of thought anything thats Pre Ford involvement would be bombproof :Wky:

Not that the later ones are no good just when a company buyout occurs the parent company often then just sell your their cars in drag rather than the product you think your getting :W:

Old Volvo's were built like tanks,I suspect new Volvo's are built to a price :W:

Good luck and let us know what you decide on Very Happy

Somnophore
Infant
Infant

PostSubject: Re: New to bangernonics   Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:59 pm

Already a named driver for last couple of years on the mrs' landrover, I don't mind paying a little bit more than standard in insurance for an interesting car, the Nissan primera gt is supposed to be quite quick but not very high insurance group
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: New to bangernonics   Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:08 pm

Somnophore wrote:
Already a named driver for last couple of years on the mrs' landrover, I don't mind paying a little bit more than standard in insurance for an interesting car, the Nissan primera gt is supposed to be quite quick but not very high insurance group

That will help as you can say your car is a second car and if its old enough insure it on a classic policy Thumb

I know I am biased but love my old Merc its coming up to 21 years old and the doors still shut like a new bank vault currently sitting at 153k but you would think its done 53k the way it drive Bow

Justwatching
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-06-10

PostSubject: Re: New to bangernonics   Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:37 pm

As an owner of a 1990 740 estate, here's my summary:

Pros
*Decent built quality
*Significantly better than average rust proofing
*Never broken down (did have an incident with an inject seal failing completely, allowing injector 4 to blow out the engine. I still got home on the remaining 3 cylinders though)
*Non interference engine meaning a cambelt break should't do permanent damage (not that I'm recommending poor maintenance)
*Very comfortable and well equipped
*Very useful for moving...stuff

Cons
*Thirsty - 26 MPG average. That's driving gently, too
*£220 pa road tax
*Parts can be somewhat expensive compared to other banger cars
*Electrics are junk, especially things like dashboard lights and dials
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: New to bangernonics   Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:26 am

If reputation for reliability is a factor, a Jeep isn't an obvious choice.

Pretty much anything Japanese is, though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to bangernonics   

Back to top Go down

New to bangernonics

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bangernomics :: General :: Your Cars-