View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Cooking with 12 volts?    Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:38 am

We are often going to events and obviously get hungry but nine times out of ten we end up doing the very thing we try to avoid of paying through the nose for burnt bacon on a stale bun :Cry2:

We sometimes take sandwiches and generally look out for offers on multi packs of soft drinks to save money and yes we feel rather smug eating out 50pence home made sandwiches as others tuck into their £5+ burgers and overpriced fries lol!

But in the end we succumb to paying for at least one item from the chuck wagons as what most people want is Hot Food Food

I am not a soup eater which is the obvious choice so I am thinking Sausages,Bacon,Burgers,Onions,Chips that sort of thing :Wky:

So need some method of grilling the said items out of the hatch of your car using 12v so we don't have to pay the silly prices at events or stand in queues forever :W:

Looked online but exhausted every avenue Headbang

A compact George Foreman type grill is what i really need that will run off battery power?

Any ideas guys?

Jodie Smile

TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Cooking with 12 volts?    Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:47 am

I have the same problem and you won't find anything electric that will do the job you want? One of my cars is a 7 seater so I converted one of the seats to a gas cooker which folds away when not in use see the pic, its very officiant and I have cooked all sorts on it and saved a fortune.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Cooking with 12 volts?    Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks Tech Thumb

I have thought of one of them as a friend had one years ago when we went camping and the canister lasted nearly a week cooking on it every night :Wky:

I guess though its the thought of stinking pans etc in the car when you pack it away whereas the grill would probably have a lid you could close Question

Then again I suppose once wiped down a frying pan could be placed inside an airtight box to keep the fatty smells at bay?

I have found this though

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I believe from reviews they are very good if you want to cook a curry or stew or similar very slowly on a long drive but not that efficient for cooking items quickly No

One idea I read about in the past (think it was on the "Down the Lane" forum?) was cook hotdogs at home then pour them and the hot cooking water into a flask and then simply take one out as and when you need it :Wky:

Thanks for your thoughts ill consider one of those shame they don't do a grill version though :Cry2:

Joloke
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Cooking with 12 volts?    Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:25 am

No sooner had I said they don't do a Gas grill I found this Doh!!!

TechSupport
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Cooking with 12 volts?    Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:35 am

Joloke wrote:
Thanks Tech Thumb

I have thought of one of them as a friend had one years ago when we went camping and the canister lasted nearly a week cooking on it every night :Wky:

I guess though its the thought of stinking pans etc in the car when you pack it away whereas the grill would probably have a lid you could close Question

Then again I suppose once wiped down a frying pan could be placed inside an airtight box to keep the fatty smells at bay?

I have found this though

I believe from reviews they are very good if you want to cook a curry or stew or similar very slowly on a long drive but not that efficient for cooking items quickly No

One idea I read about in the past (think it was on the "Down the Lane" forum?) was cook hotdogs at home then pour them and the hot cooking water into a flask and then simply take one out as and when you need it :Wky:

Thanks for your thoughts ill consider one of those shame they don't do a grill version though :Cry2:

The only prob with the one you found is that it will drain your battery and

can be used to heat most kinds of pre-cooked food. Itís ideal for stews, sausage & beans, chops, rice meals and so on. It will heat a good-sized portion in approx. one hour.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Cooking with 12 volts?    Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:53 am

I think the one shown would probably be OK for those wanting to cook a stew etc slowly on route so it's being cooked on a long journey and ready to eat when you get to your destination but as you say stationary and quickly I think the butane cooking stove is a better bet Thumb

Just need something 100% air tight to put the pan in after cooking and that could work :Wky:

What happens when you don't use the whole can of butane up?

Is it safe to store with it in or do you remove the can when its not in use?

been such a long time since i saw one of these I forget scratch

TechSupport
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Cooking with 12 volts?    Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:56 am

I leave my gas in there all the time just in case I need it, its perfectly safe and you never know when you may want a :Cof: as for storing pans you could always use a cool box which is air tight.

Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Cooking with 12 volts?    Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:05 pm

TechSupport wrote:
I leave my gas in there all the time just in case I need it, its perfectly safe and you never know when you may want a :Cof: as for storing pans you could always use a cool box which is air tight.

Thanks

I might just get one of these then :Wky:

If we were at an outdoor show or event of some sort chances are we couldn't wash the pan after use so if we wanted breakfast then a little lunch we would probably just wipe it over,after all if your cooking the similar food in it later it would be fine but obviously would smell so the cool box idea is favorable :Wky:

TechSupport
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Cooking with 12 volts?    Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:15 pm

Sounds good to me or take several small pans Food

Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Cooking with 12 volts?    Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:16 am

Random thoughts/experience

Gas is convenient and won't flatten your battery, as has already been said.

However, I used to have a 12volt in-cup heater that was OK for soup, drinks and such and wasn't too heavy on the juice. You could get one of those 10 quid Maplins photovoltaic cells to help the battery along a bit, and /or run the engine occaisionally.

You can cook spaghetti in a thermos flask on the residual heat of boiling water. Takes a bit of practice to get the tiiming right, and some people still find it a bit floury, but I think its OK, Various sauces available in wee jars, which will heat up from the residual heat of the pasta after draining. I like pesto.

You can cook sausages and such, (heavily) wrapped in foil, on your exhaust manifold en route. I'd guess with a bit of ingenuity you'd be able to heat water as well, but I've never tried that.

(Got to be easier than fitting a turbo Smile

Coolbox idea would probably work for most people. I'd forget it, and then I'd have to deal with The Thing That Ate Milwaukee when I finally opened it up again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cooking with 12 volts?    

Back to top Go down

Cooking with 12 volts?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1