HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | .

New Government Legislation could be welcome but........?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: New Government Legislation could be welcome but........?   Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:54 am

The government in their wisdom have added Tailgating and Middle Lane Hogging to their list of motoring offenses for on the spot fines and penalty which could be welcome or maybe not if the police don't use their common sense Rolling Eyes

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just my thoughts but though I don't tailgate and I hate being tailgated we have all been bounding down an A road only to turn a corner and find Betty Rattlebone bumbling along in her Morris 1000 at 25mph in a 60 zone Sleep

So your stuck behind her cant move and along comes plod and says here is a 100 fine and 3 points when in essence your actually doing nothing wrong :Cry2:

Likewise on a Motorway I have been stuck in the middle lane at times for several miles does that make me a lane hogger?

Yes if the inside lane is empty but generally the reason I am stuck out there is because the inside lane is packed bumper to bumper with heavy haulage :W:

I agree with it in principle but will these rules be used correctly????

Will the police start pulling the innocent up to get brownie points????

I personally get fed up of trucks that are supposedly restricted to 60mph moving into the middle lane to overtake another restricted truck then struggling to get past for several miles now that is real lane hogging and pointless to a level of diploma class lunacy St

Note the car in the video having to apply brakes behind the truck is that car tailgating? If it is would it be if that moronic truck driver hadn't decided to try and overtake something that's restricted to the same speed as he is?

LRM

So yes I am happy about the legislation in one aspect but cannot help but think drivers who find themselves accidentally stuck out in the middle lane or unintentionally tailgating Doris Daydream who pulls out in front of them sightseeing at 45mph on a motorway are going to be the ones that may fall foul of these penalty's,whilst Trevor the tailgating trucker and those light speed BMW's and Audi's and White van man and truck drivers you feel like your towing because they follow so close will somehow evade prosecution :W:

Whats your thoughts and what offenses do you see others do that you think should be added to the new legislation?

Over to you guys.................

Jodie Smile

matto
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-06-04

PostSubject: Re: New Government Legislation could be welcome but........?   Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:11 am

Seems like another typically pointless piece of legislation, if there were Traffic Police around then no one would be commiting these offences anyway...
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: New Government Legislation could be welcome but........?   Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:33 am

I just get the feeling its the wrong people that will end up suffering it always is Rolling Eyes

If they stay true to what the legislation says there will be 1000's of truck drivers prosecuted and they tailgate in convoy LRM

MilfordHaven
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-04-29

PostSubject: Re: New Government Legislation could be welcome but........?   Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:07 pm

Just another legal scam by Robin Hood Camaroooon and his hench men
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: New Government Legislation could be welcome but........?   Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:02 am

Depends, as usual, on how its defined, but it doesn't sound very practical.

In the UK I used to slipstream trucks to save fuel, either in the same lane (which is, I assume, tailgating) or in the next lane (which probably isn't tailgating but could result in lane-hogging)

I stopped doing it.

(Funny how you take less risks as you get older, even though you have less to lose.)

I still used to drive slow on motorways, to save fuel. This meant I was usually sharing the inside lane with truck convoys.

If you maintain a safe distance from the truck in front, another truck will overtake into that space, absolutely guaranteed.

Drop back to a safe distance, and repeat.

So you either get overtaken continuously by trucks doing the same average speed as you are, or you "tailgate".

In Taiwan this dilemma is amplified to the point where any consideration of tailgating is purely academic. Motorway vehicle separations are routinely hair-raisingly small and there's nothing you can do about it. Everyone is tailgating most of the time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Government Legislation could be welcome but........?   

Back to top Go down

New Government Legislation could be welcome but........?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1