View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

There seems to be a lot of talk on here about what is right and what is wrong as far as the ethos of Bangernomics is concerned having looked in the Urban dictionary it states 'The art of buying cheapest car/vehicle so that is does not lose value, and waste money' However this is open to the interpretation of the reader. Ok lets move on we all get the general idea and that is to spend as little as possible and to make the car last as long as possible without any great expense (my opinion) Now I want you all to look below and tell me is the car you see a Bangernomics car? if you think it is then why? and if you think it isn't then why? over to you guys now I will be back later to see if anyone has replied and discuss what has been said.

Ps its a 1966

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."

Last edited by TechSupport on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:04 am

geedub wrote:

I guess I'm a born-again banger driver Wink

I think most of us are lm

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
ventorafred
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:16 am

Ive always been a banger driver
Followed my dear departed dads advice for everything
''If you aint got the money dont buy it''

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:18 am

ventorafred wrote:
Ive always been a banger driver
Followed my dear departed dads advice for everything
''If you aint got the money dont buy it''

Very Happy

Excellent advice too Bow

Back to top Go down
ventorafred
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:20 am

Think I could have annoyed said co worker
having said I could rent a two bed semi here for £340 a month
or have a weeks holiday a month for that

La
Back to top Go down
ventorafred
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 am

Kinda guessing its a age thing
the chap who brought the Mokka is 35
Im 44 and was brought up in the 70's when times were tight
had hand me down clothing etc, but to me it was the best childhood going
no internet, no peer pressure, just innocent fun
I know I going off on a tangent but I feel the new age 'need to get the best stuff to keep on top' pressure is driven by the internet and media
and many folks fall for it
Am I rambling here
I think I may be
Back to top Go down
Rovamota
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:47 pm

Glass's says anything over 10 years old is a banger and worth about £875. But in the real world... This Rupert bloke seems to talk bollocks as it seems he's contradicting himself...

Low cost PCP deals see motorists switch into newer cars – but banger market is booming

Thousands of car buyers are switching out of their bangers to newer cars to take advantage of low cost PCP deals, reports motor trade bible Glass’s – but at the same time the banger market is exploding with values and volumes rising.

Rupert Pontin, head of valuations at Glass’s, said: “We are seeing something interesting going on. Since the start of 2013, the number of cars over 10.5 years old being sold at auction has increased by around 50%. We believe this is because large numbers of buyers are selling their bangers and signing up to low-cost new and used car PCP deals to get behind the wheel of a newer model.

“However, instead of this flood of bangers entering the market leading to a collapse in values, they have actually increased quite substantially. The average auction price for a 10.5 year-plus car in January 2013 was £725 but in June of this year, it was £875. Enough new buyers are entering the market to soak up the extra volume and the banger market is actually in excellent health.

“Partially this is as a result of improving economic conditions – more people are feeling confident about buying and running a car at the entry level – but also the quality of older cars on sale is improving all the time. We see many bangers going through auction in excellent condition at very reasonable prices and, for many people, they make extremely sensible purchases.

“It is very much a case of ‘The banger is dead. Long live the banger!’”

Rupert said that the question for the medium term was how many more people would opt for a PCP deal on a newer car and whether banger values would continue to increase over time.

“The number of people switching into PCPs does not really show any sign of slowing down and this means that the volume of older vehicles on the market will continue to grow. At some point, this will lead to oversupply and falling values but it is quite difficult to predict exactly when.”
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:27 am

PCP? You mean Phencyclidine?

It's an addictive hallucinogen. Not surprising if there's a certain arse-elbow confusion associated with its use.
Back to top Go down
CNGFGodsOwnF*rt
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:23 pm

For me most classics don't makes sense in Bangernomics, because unless kept in the same condition,  they depreciate badly in use. So you spend tiem or money working to keep them good. Most will only appreciate if you rarely drive them or keep on top of them.
Whereas a later car can be got for £1200 at most and maintained to a level that makes them safe and legal, but otherwise driven  into the ground with no further apprecaible depreciation or worries.  If they take a bang or get scruffy, so what? Hence for doing real miles a post 1990s car is the chariot of choice, you'd not want to put the miles  i put on my car in a Beetle. Lovley though it is, the Beetle (or similar)  is not for driving, it simply would not stay together. I do 25-30,000 miles a year, and that'd kill the value of any decent classic, and cost far more in time and effort to run. That Beetle si worth money, if I put it to the same use and maintenance as I do my 90s Volvo, whilst my Volvo still runs, that VW would be wrecked, hence it makes no sense in Bangernomics for me.

Incidentally I paid £1500 for my car four years ago. It can't be worth more than £450 today (if that) but it has another 2-4 years in it.

Yet the Beetle works in Bangernomics terms if you just potter about. In fact, more so than my Volvo - and with more charm.
Back to top Go down
greendefender123
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2014-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:50 pm

I'm restoring a morris traveller but these are really going up in value. I plan to use it on dry days and in the summer. Will have land rover as a main vehicle that I restored as a teenager. I wont be doing many miles soon but at the moment I'm still driving my fiesta and really love it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   

Back to top Go down

Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2