View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:05 pm

There seems to be a lot of talk on here about what is right and what is wrong as far as the ethos of Bangernomics is concerned having looked in the Urban dictionary it states 'The art of buying cheapest car/vehicle so that is does not lose value, and waste money' However this is open to the interpretation of the reader. Ok lets move on we all get the general idea and that is to spend as little as possible and to make the car last as long as possible without any great expense (my opinion) Now I want you all to look below and tell me is the car you see a Bangernomics car? if you think it is then why? and if you think it isn't then why? over to you guys now I will be back later to see if anyone has replied and discuss what has been said.

Ps its a 1966

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."

Last edited by TechSupport on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Nice car and looks to be in good condition to I would like to say its a banger and only out of respect to a great car and company I won't but based on just looking at it and I'm assuming its not a trick question then my answer could be either? and I say this because it could have cost the earth or it could have been peanuts but either way I'm sure if its yours you are very happy with it and that is what counts, its not just about the cost its about how you feel about the car you own and I know I will get jumped on here but some people are happy to keep a car for maybe a year or 2 and drive around with it looking like a sh*t heap but I'm not one of these I prefer my cars to look at least half decent and looking at this beetle it looks brilliant. Looking forward to reading more about this and if its a Bangernomics car or not.
Back to top Go down
beefybake
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:31 pm

Nice motor Tech and I think I would say its a bangernomics car because you may have bought it for next to nothing but I would be surprised if you did? but then perhaps someone gave it you? I do know that classics such as these do fall in the bangernomics class as shown on Jame's site.
Back to top Go down
stereosound
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:50 pm

Is this an Introduction to your Car or a discussion???

Do we get a seperate thread for your car as well?

Either way I think Bangernomics is hard to define to an exact science Rolling Eyes

I must admit I was shot down in flames for suggesting Bangernomics may be a car that was under £2000 :W:

Times have changed and Bangernomics have changed Lets face it somebody may earn £300 a week now but in the £80's that may of been £50 a week its all relevant :W:

Bangernomics can be buying a car for £100 getting a year out and then scraping it but then again Bangernomics can be buying a car for £3000 and keeping it for a Decade theres no right or wrong

One thing we are probably all agreed on is Bangernomics is about keeping away from the Drip Drip of car finance and the dealers having you over a Barrel insisting you get the car serviced at main dealer prices otherwise you dont have a warranty Rolling Eyes

Are we to turn away those who are inherited bangernomicists?

Theres a guy local to me who bought a 1977 Vauxhall Chevette brand new and it still looks new 36 years later he has well and truly earned his Bangernomics diploma Bow

He payed top money for his car new,it depreciated he kept it it owes him nothing and eventually itll be worth more than he payed for it new so should he sell it he will of had 36 years plus of practically free motoring :W:

Keep away from finance,keep away from warranties that are not worth the paper they are written on and try to buy something that has already depreciated or if not keep your car through its depreciation until it starts to climb out the other side as it becomes collectable :Wky:

The only true definition to Bangernomics is there isnt one LRM

Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Not for me to tell you Admin but you seem to have missed out answering the question and you have drifted Off topic there by losing what this topic is about. Only pointing out the obvious.
Back to top Go down
beefybake
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:59 pm

Your quite right admin but I think that's another topic, so perhaps it might be an idea to discuss that separately or make it a little be clearer by stating your thoughts on the ops questions.
Back to top Go down
stereosound
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:22 pm

Apologies there guys I guess I was answering the question that is the topic title :W:

Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is ????

But also our tech is as they say it "as tight as a ducks bottom" lm

He has admitted that to me and his thriftiness knows no bounds :W:

So come on Colin don't be shy and tell the full story :Co:

Back to top Go down
TechSupport
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 325
Registration date : 2013-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:26 pm

All in good time lets see what others think before I continue with this :Co: and add some more pics of a very similar car

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:26 am

Depends, rather obviously, on how we define "banger"

Of course we don't have to define "banger", and the "means different things to different people" approach does maintain and recognise a broad outlook, which is good.

However, its also, in my (perhaps rather academic) view a bit of a cop-out. Words that have meaning are more useful than words that don't.

We could perhaps "appeal to authority" and look at the definition(s) of bangernomics proposed by the founder. I'm going to suggest my own, but IIRC its rather similar.

I'd say a banger is a car thats stopped depreciating significantly, i.e. its depreciation curve has flattened out (and may perhaps have bottomed-out, so that most of its value is determined by the length of its remaining road tax and mot validity.)

Note that this bangernomics-related working definition has nothing to do with the actual condition of the car, unlike the original meaning of "banger", which presumably is derived from cars in poor condition that might be expected to be backfiring.

Once the depreciation-curve starts to climb again, the car is a classic, not a banger. That's not to say we should exclude classics from discussion (after all, some bangers become classics if they live long enough), but classics are a different game, with different rules.

A definition based on the avoidance of financing, though it may reflect a philosophy, isn't a definition at all. The Sultan of Brunei presumably pays cash for his bespoke Ferrarri's. That doesn't make them bangers.

So no, your shiny Beetle isn't a banger, its a classic. Doesn't matter what you paid for it, its value is going up and will probably continue to do so.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:03 am

Ah....Just noticed that the OP didn't ask what a "banger" is. He asked what a "bangernomics car" is, and whether his VW Beetle was one.

Tricky.

If bangernomics is "How to run a car for less" (and that could be another argument/discussion) then I'd guess running a classic could well work out cheaper than running a (disposable?) banger, (negative depreciation, no tax in the UK, cheaper insurance) so it'd be a bangernomics car, but not a banger.

So a bangernomics car is (most generally) a car that offers low costs, relative to most new cars, usually by avoiding depreciation.

So those people who buy Ferrari's and keep them in climate controlled vaults as investments are practicing bangernomics, with knobs on.

But not as we know it, Jim.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
ventorafred
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2013-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:48 am

Guess its all on how you depict 'banger'
Demographics enter this
if your a banker in London then a banger would be a 5 year old Bentley
if your a metal basher in the Black Country - a banger would be a 88 Mondeo or owt
It kinda like saying 'when does a car become retro?'
its unanswerable
too many factors involved
Back to top Go down
ventorafred
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:54 am

1966 beetle in what looks like good condition
will cost a fair bit
BUT if you paid a decent price for it
it will not go down in price
ergo the infinite technicalities of bangernomics
I think far too much thought is being put on the actual money side
bangernomics is the basic rule of business
buy cheap - sell high
be it a Proton or Virgin radio
Chris Evans is a master of it!! La
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:19 am

ventorafred wrote:
Guess its all on how you depict 'banger'
It kinda like saying 'when does a car become retro?'

No it isn't. That would be a meaningless question, since "retro" is a style, and there's no "when" about it. A new car that echoes a style of the past is retro. New Morgan Three Wheeler, for example

ventorafred wrote:

its unanswerable

No it isn't. I've answered it.

In a bangernomics context, a banger is defined by the market ("Bangernomics is about fruity old cars that have had all the depreciation shaken out of them").

Your Cockney Banker that thinks a five year old Bently is a banger doesn't know his economic arse from his economic elbow.

This is not unknown anong Cockney Bankers, as we have all now learned, to our considerable cost.
Back to top Go down
beefybake
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:17 am

Quote :

ventorafred wrote: wrote:

its unanswerable

edlithgow wrote:

Well there you are we now have the definitive answer from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] who knows exactly what a Bangernomics car is???? NOT!! A Bangernomics car in my opinion is what anyone thinks it is so long as you save a whole load of money instantly or over a long period thus making it a very economical car indeed. Its been discussed on here before and someone stated that if they bought a car for £3000 and it lasted them 10 years without costing them anything other than the running costs, servicing etc the that car is a Bangernomics car to them because its only cost the £300 per year which is brilliant. Ok now we come to classic cars, lets say you pic up a classic car dirt cheap and you manage to get an mot for it without a great deal of expense , now this car is going to appreciate thus it will not cost the buyer anything in the long term and in fact could actually make money from it. I think Bangernomics is what you make it yourself there are some who still think that Bangernomics should only cost you £200 to £300 well thats great if you can get it but these days I think its more likely to be £2000 to £3000 and I'm sure I will get shot down for saying that but its my opinion as is all that I have written here and there isn't anybody who can say " I've answered it " and expect to be believed? however to say " its unanswerable  " is more realistic because in my opinion no one can give a definitive answer. Get you Bangernomics car and service it regularly and check all the fluids regularly an of course a little TLC and cleaning will make your car last even longer.
Back to top Go down
Wrench
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2007-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:01 pm

I have to be honest I to believe that Bangernomics is different to all of us and there is no one answer for any of us, we all have different budgets, views and we are all prepared to pay different amounts for different cars. Going back to the Beetle at the start of this topic then I would say yes it could well be a Bangernomics car and the reasons being is we don't know how much it cost? and the running costs ie tax and insurance are going to be nil and very low so yes my gut feeling is that this is a Bangernomics car but I don't know what the op paid for it and even if I did it may be that I wouldn't pay the same but overall looking at every aspect of the Beetle its going to increase in value which to me is true Bangernomics.
Back to top Go down
MilfordHaven
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2007-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:10 pm

ventorafred wrote:
1966 beetle in what looks like good condition
will cost a fair bit
BUT if you paid a decent price for it
it will not go down in price
ergo the infinite technicalities of bangernomics
I think far too much thought is being put on the actual money side
bangernomics is the basic rule of business
buy cheap - sell high
be it a Proton or Virgin radio
Chris Evans is a master of it!!  La

You are right about this and I also agree with wrench and beefybake there is a lot more to it than the price you pay perhaps its a case of what you pay and how long you keep it for without it costing you the earth, seems like this topic could go on and on as we all add what our thoughts are about the question and I'm sure as already pointed out we will all have our own opinions and we must all respect what each other has to say but not be rail roaded into thinking that someone has the final and definitive answer.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:28 pm

beefybake wrote:
Quote :

ventorafred wrote: wrote:

its unanswerable

edlithgow wrote:

Well there you are we now have the definitive answer from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] who knows exactly what a Bangernomics car is???? NOT!! A Bangernomics car in my opinion is what anyone thinks it is so long as you save a whole load of money instantly or over a long period thus making it a very economical car indeed. Its been discussed on here before and someone stated that if they bought a car for £3000 and it lasted them 10 years without costing them anything other than the running costs, servicing etc the that car is a Bangernomics car to them because its only cost the £300 per year which is brilliant. Ok now we come to classic cars, lets say you pic up a classic car dirt cheap and you manage to get an mot for it without a great deal of expense , now this car is going to appreciate thus it will not cost the buyer anything in the long term and in fact could actually make money from it. I think Bangernomics is what you make it yourself there are some who still think that Bangernomics should only cost you £200 to £300 well thats great if you can get it but these days I think its more likely to be £2000 to £3000 and I'm sure I will get shot down for saying that but its my opinion as is all that I have written here and there isn't anybody who can say " I've answered it " and expect to be believed? however to say " its unanswerable  " is more realistic because in my opinion no one can give a definitive answer. Get you Bangernomics car and service it regularly and check all the fluids regularly an of course a little TLC and cleaning will make your car last even longer.

See? You've answered it as well. So it isn't unanswerable.

My answer was a bit shorter though.
Back to top Go down
skodaking
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2013-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:20 pm

I would say the beetle could well be a decent bangernomics motor for several reasons.

It's simple to work on.
Second hand parts are still readily available and cheap.
Lots of advice available from beetle owners clubs.
It's tax exempt.
The air cooled engines are bulletproof.
It's frugal on fuel.
It's unlikely to lose value and will probably actually increase.
Classic car insurance for pennies.

So even if it's 20,000 quid, you could run it for two years for a few shillings and sell it for the same or more than you paid...all adds up to cheap motoring = Bangernomics!

Just my tuppenceworth.
Back to top Go down
Wrench
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2007-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:11 am

skodaking wrote:
I would say the beetle could well be a decent bangernomics motor for several reasons.

It's simple to work on.
Second hand parts are still readily available and cheap.
Lots of advice available from beetle owners clubs.
It's tax exempt.
The air cooled engines are bulletproof.
It's frugal on fuel.
It's unlikely to lose value and will probably actually increase.
Classic car insurance for pennies.

So even if it's 20,000 quid, you could run it for two years for a few shillings and sell it for the same or more than you paid...all adds up to cheap motoring = Bangernomics!

Just my tuppenceworth.

I think you have hit the nail on the head . Clap
Back to top Go down
ventorafred
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:53 am

Just finishing my night shift, my co worker has just brought a brand new
Vauxhall Mokka
how much you ask?
£340 a month for the next five years
'Fecking hell' I almost fainted
I could rent a decent 2 bed semi for that !!
The man is deffo not bangernomically minded affraid
Back to top Go down
ventorafred
Junior
Junior

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:59 am

Think I got the 'unanswerable'
bit wrong
I meant philosophically speaking a vague area
it covers many grounds
kinda guess if you look hard enough and know your stuff
you will come across a gem
they are out there, Ive bagged a few 
:CP:
Back to top Go down
skodaking
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2013-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:45 pm

ventorafred wrote:

how much you ask?

Shock

I suppose if he keeps it for 15 years then it'll qualify as a bangernomics motor...however I can see another finance deal looming in 5 years time.
Back to top Go down
geedub
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:51 am

Quote :
Vauxhall Mokka 
how much you ask? 

Ouchie!

If I'm gonna pay £340 a month, I'd want something a bit more interesting than a Vauxhall Mokka, too... :Co:
Back to top Go down
Joloke
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:30 am

If you think about it even if you got a top notch Bangernomics car for £3k ish on payment you would pay less per month and finish the debt off in a year,even that is better :Wky:

I guess there are some who practice Bangernomics that still have to take finance out for even a low priced banger not everybody has ready cash

I have to hold my hand up here but in the past we have had pcp plans out on cars and we still have but this last one was before I got interested in Bangernomics and being a contract you have to abide by the contract :W:

That said my other half is letting her pcp Mini Clubman go early next year when it reaches 50% which will be 18 months before its conclusion.

Your allowed to do this you walk away with nothing though and that includes no debt,ok there's nothing to invest in the next one but the money she will save!

At the end of it she will of payed £7.5k for a car with a forecourt price of £10k and she wont even own the car Rolling Eyes

To do that she would have to follow the plan through paying around £12k then a balloon payment of £3k affraid

That is why we came to our senses!

I think deep down Bangernomics should be what makes the best financial sense for the individual and if that means paying £3-4k upfront for a good car you plan to keep for a decade that's fine,Just keep away from shiny new cars on the never never  Rolling Eyes

But I agree for £340 a month id want something better than that LRM

geedub
Junior
Junior

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:00 am

yep - agreed completely. These pcp deals look tempting simply because you say to yourself "hey, a new car for £xxx a month, I can afford that!" Easy to get caught up in the enthusiasm of buying something new, but if you actually sit down and do the figures, it doesn't look as appealing.

I did the bangernomics thing for a while in my twenties (as most of us do) and then started spending more - I bought a brand new Mercedes back in the mid-eighties, then realised that I was an idiot. Let someone else pick up the worst of the depreciation. Since then I've driven some great cars (along wit a few not-so-great), but, with a few exceptions, tended to buy something at 2-4 years old, run it until I got bored with it and then replace it. 

Looking at what's available for under £2k these days, though, it has to be said that 'bangers' make a whole lot of sense.

To get back on topic - for me, bangernomics is basically any car I can afford to buy without taking out a loan and that doesn't cost me a fortune to run (bearing in mind that I don't work on my own cars these days). If I can run a £2k (or less) car for a couple of years - and enjoy owning/driving it as much as I have with the Lexus - then I don't see the need to spend more. Hell, I'm now thinking that I could afford to run a second 'fun weekend' banger as well.... hmmm...

I guess I'm a born-again banger driver Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is   

Back to top Go down

Lets discuss what we all think a Bangernomics car is

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next