HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | .

Patina or Pristine????? Which do you Prefer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stereosound
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Patina or Pristine????? Which do you Prefer?   Fri May 10, 2013 11:32 am

Recently I have noticed that the classic car scene is moving towards the leave it as it is way of thinking and favouring patina over pristine Rolling Eyes

After years of wanting my cars just so I suddenly find myself starting to appreciate that "Patina" look Wub

Maybe its the fact I am getting older and finding fully detailing cars is tiring me out or is it just that when you over restore something you are taking away history that can never be replaced?

I recently followed a restoration of a 60's Viva over on Retro rides and it was amazing Thumb

The car was made safe,Solid and mechanically reliable and roadworthy but where most would repaint and re chrome everything in sight the owner got it an MOT and taxed and is using it as is scabs and rust and all cheers

And you know something it has a charm that fully restored pristine examples dont have :W:

I still dont understand the "rat look" when its fake and probably never will,but hey its the owners car so they can do what they wish :Wky:

But natural patina is really growing on me but on older classics,on a mid 90's car it just makes the car look like it should be on the scrapheap but a 50's-70's car it adds character you just cant replicate :Co: :W:

Love it or hate it?

Whats your thoughts?.......................................

Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Patina or Pristine????? Which do you Prefer?   Sat May 11, 2013 8:00 am

Isn't pristine just a special case of patina?
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Patina or Pristine????? Which do you Prefer?   Sat May 11, 2013 11:59 am

Um...spose that was a bit cryptic.

What I meant was that I don't much care so I'd just leave it the way it was, but on reflection that isn't true.

Money aside, I prefer scruffy as being less stressful, but I don't allow rust, so if it was rusty I'd probably feel compelled to destroy the original patina. Worst of both worlds?

You've raised similar questions before, and, while interesting, I think they are really classic/restoration questions rather than "true" bangernomics questions. Sounds picky but I think there are practical and er....philosophical differences (Pretentious - Moi?)

I know I've come across as dissing detailers in the past, but if someone wants to spend thier own time detailing thier own car I've got no problem with that.

What I do find unfortunate is people feeling pressured to maintain a "respectable" vehicle appearance. Thats the same sort of keep up with the Joneses/Terry and June tosh that compelled/compells people to buy new cars on HP, and I'd contend that its incompatible with the bangernomics outlook, at least as originally outlined.

You say "on a mid 90's car it just makes the car look like it should be on the scrapheap but a 50's-70's car it adds character you just cant replicate"

I'm afraid that sounds arbitary and a bit snobbish to me. What's wrong with a car looking like it should be on the scrapheap anyway? It isn't, and that is something that the owner can be justifiably proud of, whatever it looks like.

Wait a decade or two and its scruffiness will become "respectable"? Pah!

The practical consequences of this sort of attitude extend to scrapping perfectly good cars (eg the shamefull UK govt scrappage scheme). Ironically, I think it also stops people tackling rust. Its quite easy to stop rust, but unless you do a lot of work to restore cosmetics, the car looks worse after treatment, so to avoid that embarrassment people let the rust eat away under the paintwork until its too far gone to fix.

My current car (NOT a classic) was rusting badly when I got it. I've pretty much stopped that, but the paintwork looks MUCH worse as a consequence.

I rather like that, and it REALLY pisses off my boss Smile
Back to top Go down
stereosound
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Patina or Pristine????? Which do you Prefer?   Sat May 11, 2013 12:45 pm

I guess what I meant about newer scruffy cars looking like they should be on the scrapheap was really referring to how others see them Rolling Eyes

Patina doesn't look quite the same on a vehicle with fiberglass bumpers and black plastic but on a car with pitted chrome and metal it looks interesting :Wky:

I am not a fan of corrosion if its unsafe with jagged big holes everywhere but surface rust somehow gives character :W:

Here in the UK though surface rust will start eating the car :W:

Whereas in a dry U.S. state it will happily sit there just looking rusty giving a certain charm whilst not really advancing that quickly :grm:

Detailing well there are some who go to almost fanatical extremes with detailing I personally like to protect the paint if its a good base Thumb

I think its true though what you say a scruffy car is less stressful and I think that's why an honest patina is beginning to grow on me Thumb

My current car the old 190d had fairly good paint with just the odd splattering of stone chips and a thumbnail sized dent in the boot that was going rusty but I have just coated them with Kurust :Wky:

One day ill probably dab some paint in the chips but for now they seem ok :W:

I don't see any reason why classic car and Bangernomics cannot meet?

Its how far you go with a classic that sees one stepping out of Bangernomics territory :W:

My Merc is now considered a Classic and as such benefits from cheaper insurance :CP:

But it was bought for Banger money Thumb

Some classics are sold by chancers thinking they are worth far more than they actually are but every so often you will see one being sold by a realist who sells it for a fair price within the Bangernomics purse strings cheers

Anyway the question was really do members like patina or pristine????

I think the other point in case is if a car has the most amazing time warp condition would we be afraid to use them?

I used to have a "Clean" classic mini and at shows id see the holy grail 59 minis trailored to the shows,I couldn't blame the owners you would be scared in case somebody bumped or wrote off such a car which brings the point better to have an old interesting car with patina you can use than a museum piece you are scared to pale

I think now if I were to buy a care with an honest patina id leave it be rather than try to turn back the years......

Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Patina or Pristine????? Which do you Prefer?   Mon May 13, 2013 1:10 am

Admin wrote:
I guess what I meant about newer scruffy cars looking like they should be on the scrapheap was really referring to how others see them Rolling Eyes

That goes straight to my point, which was:

A TRUE follower of The Way of The Banger cares not how others see them.

er....Glasshoppa
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Patina or Pristine????? Which do you Prefer?   Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:39 pm

This the kind of thing you mean? An Italian job, and you'd probably have to do at least one to buy it, but its got quite a bit of "patina".

Similar paint job to my car in fact, though mine has a bit more "patina" (and a bit less paint).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Rally Nippon round Taiwan "thank you tour" for tsunami relief donations. There are essentially no "classics" in Taiwan and its impossible to register imported ones, so this was a bit of a novelty.
Back to top Go down
Muji
Infant
Infant

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Patina or Pristine????? Which do you Prefer?   Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:21 pm

I like a car that's used & has the appropriate amount of wear to back up its age.

I used to go to a lot of classic car shows many moons ago & all the nice shiny motors were very nice & looked great. However the classic car that I remember most was a Frog-eye Sprite I saw parked at the side of the road in Lytham Lancs that some guy had parked up to nip into the shops. The paint was a bit faded (looked original) the chrome was good but not pristine, the interior trim sound & clean but wasn't totally mint,  basically it was an old car that looked used (& was still being used). It wasn't a mess/ wreck or anything like that, it was just "honest" & wore it's years with pride.

That's how I like my cars be they bangers like my K11 Micra or classics worth a few quid. I personally would hate having to worry over a mint paint-job or bother about sticking some bags of compost in the boot. I like cars that are clean & tidy, but faded paint, the odd repair etc are for me what give a car character.  Wob   

Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Patina or Pristine????? Which do you Prefer?   

Back to top Go down

Patina or Pristine????? Which do you Prefer?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1