View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stereosound
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2007-05-16

PostSubject: The perfect Bangernomics Car Pre 1960?   Fri May 10, 2013 10:46 am

As of last year not only are pre 1973 cars tax exempt here in the uk but now pre 1960 cars are MOT exempt Shock

It begs the question if you are handy with the spanners and dont mind driving something prehistoric lm could a pre 1960 car be the perfect banger?

I know that generally these cars are going to demand a premium but sometimes there are bargains out there Wink

If you can find one of those solid but need Recommissioning cars you could end up with something that could cost you peanuts to own and run?

Classic Cheap Insurance Thumb
Free Road tax Thumb
No MOT !!!! :CP:

Just because there is no MOT does not mean you can run a deathtrap it just means you are responsible for making sure your vehicle meets what it would need in order to pass said MOT if it needed one :Wky:

Over the years the MOT has become a farce at times,we all agree that a dangerous car should never pass but sometimes its a cash cow for dishonest testers linked to garages who fail things that don't really need repairing to bump up the bill and because its all to easy to get away with it Rolling Eyes

The idea of a simple car without computers,cheap insurance and no tax or mot fee's really appeals Smile

You think pre 1960 and think well what can you get?

Its not all flashy overpriced cars you just have to keep an eye open cyclops

Morris Minors,Austin A35,Ford 100e,Standard 8 etc etc and all with the scope to drop in a slightly more modern equivalent power plant for more civilized motoring :W:

Food for thought?

Over to you...............................................

Back to top Go down
Father Tiresias
Senior
Senior

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2013-02-06

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Bangernomics Car Pre 1960?   Fri May 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Whilst there is now no legal need for the MoT on pre '60 cars it appears that a lot of the insurance companies are insisting that you get one anyway before they will issue cover. Can't say that I blame them.
Back to top Go down
edlithgow
Super user
Super user

Number of posts : 423
Registration date : 2010-06-01

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Bangernomics Car Pre 1960?   Sat May 11, 2013 7:48 am

Hadn't heard about the MOT-exemption, and (though I hate to say it) I can't really see any justification for it, assuming you think there's any justification for the MOT in the first place, which I guess I grudgingly, and with many reservations, do.

OTOH I'm quite chuffed that, here in Taiwan, I don't have to worry about it. Smile

I know there is no "official" definition, but I'd say anything tax exempt (and certainly anything MOT exempt) isn't a banger. Its a classic, and (semi-mythical bargain beasts aside) in reality its going to command a hefty price premium.

Talking of semi-mythical bargain beasts, did I tell y'all about the time I said I'd "think about" a tax-exempt Mini Marcos that came up for sale around the corner for 1400 quid?

Ah. Thought I probably had.

Sorry, but the scar runs deep. Sad

Re "Don't mind driving something prehistoric", whats to mind? With the exception of seat belts and other safety stuff, and perhaps fuel-injection (which I've only had once) I can't think of a single piece of post-war automative technology that's been of much benefit, and some (notably exhaust catalysts) have really sucked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The perfect Bangernomics Car Pre 1960?   

Back to top Go down

The perfect Bangernomics Car Pre 1960?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1